Author Topic: Coleman Propane Mini-lantern Review  (Read 3272 times)

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Coleman Propane Mini-lantern Review
« on: Mar 12, 2015, 09:34 AM »
Hey guys, last year I bought a Northstar Propane lantern from Cabelas, and while it was a great lantern that was extremely bright and had electric start, it was just too big and bulky! It also was really tall, and that made it tippy, especially after the stock propane cylinder stand broke on me (it was weak and cheap).

I walked through Gander Mountain and just happened to see this, and bought it on a whim:

While the mantle is a little hard to put on the first time, it is extremely durable! I have had this thing out fishing 2 dozen times so far this season and have not had a single mantle break yet! It has stood up to being banged around really well! Also, the chain bail has been really nice, and it is easy to hold and hang with the quick carabiners on the side to take it on and off quickly, and also to hold with gloves.

It doesn't have electric ignition, but it is not hard to light it with a bic that I always keep in my pocket. Also, it does not blow out in the wind, and when fishing crappies outside of my fish trap, I just put the lantern between my legs while sitting down and it keeps me warm and provides light.  Inside the portable, puts out the perfect amount of light for my 1 man Clam Big Mouth, and also heats it up very well considering it's small use of propane! Here are a couple more pictures of it.

Overall, I think that anyone that wants a small, lightweight, and durable little lantern should definitely look at one of these things! The price was 27.99 if I remember right, and mantles are $3 for a 2pack. Has served me well so far, and will continue to do so for a  while!

Go Beavers!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Coleman Propane Mini-lantern Review
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2015, 10:00 AM »
Been using the same lantern for quite a few years and had to replace a mantel and globe when my son knocked it off of a shelf in the garage. That is the only time I have replaced a mantel. I believe I paid $14.97 for it back then.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2015, 10:44 AM »
Been using the same lantern for quite a few years and had to replace a mantel and globe when my son knocked it off of a shelf in the garage. That is the only time I have replaced a mantel. I believe I paid $14.97 for it back then.

Haha hopefully I don't have that happen anytime soon! Both the son, and the broken mantle haha

Go Beavers!

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2015, 12:49 PM »
I love mine - small portable and runs forever on a tank of gas. My last outing on the ice was Tuesday and we fished well into the evening 9pm. I had to change my mantle while out on the ice and jacked up the first one, good thing the mantles come in packs of 2.
2 thumbs up for this lantern.
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2015, 03:39 PM »
I also like this lantern not much heat but good light. but I a fan of everything coleman makes.lanterns  white gas or prop.  the old catalytic heaters and stoves.i have a huge collection of lanterns,heaters and stoves.my favorite is the powerhouse dual fuel lantern.i think I have 7  of the model 228 lanterns.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2015, 04:22 PM »
Wow that sounds like quite the collection! I would love to see it!
I have an old Coleman dual fuel 425 stove that is still going strong! Just cooked some hot dogs out on the ice with it the other day!

Go Beavers!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2015, 05:35 PM »
Wow that sounds like quite the collection! I would love to see it!
I have an old Coleman dual fuel 425 stove that is still going strong! Just cooked some hot dogs out on the ice with it the other day!
ill take a pic one of these days. I have at least 16 lanterns from the early 60s red coleman 200a to the newer 288 and powerhouse dual fuels along with four 2 and 3 burner white gas stoves and 4 1970s coleman catalytic heaters and some propane colemans laying around.i rebuild/repair them and have found quite a few that people where throwing away.i  sold 5 lanterns  on fleabay this year too.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2015, 10:19 PM »
ill take a pic one of these days. I have at least 16 lanterns from the early 60s red coleman 200a to the newer 288 and powerhouse dual fuels along with four 2 and 3 burner white gas stoves and 4 1970s coleman catalytic heaters and some propane colemans laying around.i rebuild/repair them and have found quite a few that people where throwing away.i  sold 5 lanterns  on fleabay this year too.

thats awesome! I now know who to call with questions haha

Go Beavers!

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2015, 06:50 AM »
I use the same one.  I love it, the mantels don't fall apart like the coleman dual mantel lanterns do.  It is so small I just pack it in my tackle bucket and off I go.  We use it for catfishing all summer long and heating my portable hut, runs forever on a tank.  Best value of lanterns if you ask me!

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2015, 07:49 AM »
I use the same one.  I love it, the mantels don't fall apart like the coleman dual mantel lanterns do.  It is so small I just pack it in my tackle bucket and off I go.  We use it for catfishing all summer long and heating my portable hut, runs forever on a tank.  Best value of lanterns if you ask me!

Yeah it packs so small too, that's another reason that I like it. Also, the mantle on my North Star is the single acordion type and they always tear in the middle.. And these are just a robust design. Gotta love it!

Go Beavers!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #10 on: Mar 13, 2015, 08:07 AM »
one of my buddies uses this and likes it. we went to led lighting, so neither are as much. i might set one on top of the ice for night fishing to bring in fish is about it.

i like these better, they are more compacted and cheaper. mine cost 18$ @ wally world. they don't carry them now.
Century 7030I Portable Propane Single Mantle Mighty-Lite Lantern
Century 7035I Portable Propane Mighty-Lite Matchless Single Mantle Lantern
they fit in a litter box along with a stand, a little buddy heater and a tank of of gas (1#) all at the same time. there is room for several compact lanterns if needed. protects them well and mantels don't break in it either.

http://www.amazon.com/Century-7030I-Portable-Propane-Mighty-Lite/dp/B0007LQ24K/ref=pd_sim_sg_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=05TSHX95A0KC6KPXKHW7

http://www.amazon.com/Century-7035I-Portable-Mighty-Lite-Matchless/dp/B0007LQ24U/ref=sr_1_82?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1426203770&sr=1-82&keywords=propane+Lantern

i have some old colman products too like the catalytic heater. stinky thing as are most any thing they make except for propane. not good for inside ice houses.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2015, 09:49 AM »
I have seen those before, and I guess that i bought mine on a whim, and didn't see that one in the Gander Mtn that I bought my lantern in. Im guessing that the design is almost identical.. there isnt a whole lot to one of these lanterns!

Go Beavers!

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2015, 08:10 AM »
I have one also maybe 15 year old or more decent little lantern. I think I paid 15 bucks. I use it sometimes but like the fire power of my North Star.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2015, 08:44 AM »
One nice thing about the Coleman Compact is I can hang it from the support pole in the top of my two man flip and it doesn't get too hot for the fabric.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2015, 09:54 AM »
Definitely a very good investment. This is the lantern that is nearly nuclear blast proof. It will survive a lot of rough use/transport and with minor maintenance it keeps working perfectly.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 27, 2015, 08:24 AM »
One nice thing about the Coleman Compact is I can hang it from the support pole in the top of my two man flip and it doesn't get too hot for the fabric.

I agree completely. Holding my Northstar lantern without a leather glove can get pretty hot after a while, and this thing doesnt have any issues. I really like the chain bale.

Perfect amount of heat!

Definitely a very good investment. This is the lantern that is nearly nuclear blast proof. It will survive a lot of rough use/transport and with minor maintenance it keeps working perfectly.

NBG

What do you do for minor maintenance to it?

Go Beavers!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #16 on: Mar 27, 2015, 08:49 AM »
Mantles are cheap. Replace mantle once before each season. After removing old mantle I inspect and blow out with compressed air and wipe away any particulate debris before putting on new mantle. About five minutes when I take my time.

NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 27, 2015, 10:27 AM »
Mantles are cheap. Replace mantle once before each season. After removing old mantle I inspect and blow out with compressed air and wipe away any particulate debris before putting on new mantle. About five minutes when I take my time.

NBG

Oh alright. Really basic stuff then. Thanks

Go Beavers!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.