Author Topic: clam 5600 or shappell dx4000  (Read 3453 times)

Offline pike master

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • let there be ice!!!!!!!!!!!
clam 5600 or shappell dx4000
« on: Jan 15, 2006, 05:40 PM »
i cant decide on which one please give me some info its just for me and my brother but i like to have room

tim

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: clam 5600 or shappell dx4000
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2006, 09:02 PM »
If you'd do a search for Clam 5600 you're bound to find a plethora of posts on it, pros and cons alike.

Here's mine as I own the 5600, but cannot speak for the Shappell model you're looking at...

5600 Pros:
1.  Roomy - 5x6 - MORE than comfy for two people plus gear (vex, 2htrs (buddy & a catalytic if needed), minnow bucket, rod holders hang on the spreader bars, misc jig boxes on the floor or in side pockets, and two fold up chairs to sit on.  Still fairly decent w/ 3 people, just a bit cramped so to speak - but not horribly cramped IMO...
2.  Mostly durable - I have only had 1 problem w/ mine and that is the hole cover slider/retention bar thingies broke.  Had to call Clam up and order a few rivet screws.  Pulled the old ones w/ a screwdriver and used a poprivet gun to put new ones in - no problem at all...
3.  Keeps warm - I have been in a few other portables b/f and it seems like they are harder to heat w/ the same heaters I use?  Maybe just me.... but mine seems extremely insulated and have no prob. using a buddy to get it to 65 or so in there on a cold day....
4.  Plenty of windows
5.  Fairly easy to set up (non-windy days)

Cons:
1.  Its relatively heavy.  Not too bad to pull w/o a sled and lots easier on a sled or some sort of pullable platform.  If pulling w/ vehicle or ATV, disregard con #1.
2.  It can be a PAIN in the butt to setup in the wind.  Most cabin styles are tho... price you pay for a shanty w/ a floor I guess.  If I could do it over and spend the money - I would get the Clam Voyager b/c of the flip-over style and weight isn't a concern for me.
3.  Plastic floor can make creaky noises on the ice.  If you're a paranoid nut about noise making... the plastic will make noise on the ice if on uneven surfaces or not insulated by snow.

I can't think of any other negative things about it - but I'm sure a few others from IS here will soon add to your reply.  Don't hesitate to do some searching too!  As I said - there is a TON of info on the 5600 here.  All in all it is seriously a great shanty - so don't discount it just b/c of my 3 cons.  But... if I had to do it over again, I might consider a flip-over.  Just my $.02.

-WF.

Offline Medic118

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2006, 10:10 AM »
I have the clam 5600 although it is a bit bulky to pull around and get on your vehicle it is very sturdy will hold up.

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those toothy critters!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2006, 11:46 PM »
I've had a Clam 5600 for a few years and I'm not impressed with it at all.  Its too heavy for one thing.  It's also a pain to get all of the canvas tucked into the shell when you close it up.  I'm also disappointed with how it holds up to the wind.
I've fished with several people who use Shappell, and if its got to be one or the other, I say Shappell.  They're lighter, set up and take down faster, and overall, I hear fewer complaints.
However, I wouldn't limit myself to one of the two.  The most impressive shelter I've ever fished in is a Fish Trap Guide.  They've got it all.  My best advice is go ice fishiing somewhere on a really busy day, and ask around about how people like their shelters.  You might even see some pros and cons in action.  Whichever one you choose, you'll end up wishing you'd gone with something else anyway.  good luck.
"You can't catch 'em from your living room!"

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2006, 04:47 PM »
I use the DX 3000 and really like it a lot. Roomy, lightweight, sets up & folds down very quickly. The DX 4000 being the next size bigger is 24 lbs. heavier but I would think the set up and down would be about the same. The DX 4000 also comes with the pop up skis standard (I had to add them later on mine). Both shacks you're looking at are pretty good systems.

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.