Author Topic: My chisel build for $45 (Updated)  (Read 4054 times)

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
My chisel build for $45 (Updated)
« on: Feb 20, 2015, 09:25 PM »
So I figured I would share my build with everyone here.  It is a chisel that I built to pop caps off of old holes or for early ice.  Only weighs 5lbs.  Cuts like it weighs 15lbs.

I bougt a 2" wood chisel from Home Depot for the cutting edge.  I smashed the handle off of it so it was just the metal part. Bought a 1/4"x2" threaded nipple to fit the shank of the chisel so it was tighter in the 1/2" black pipe.  I used some of the JB Weld putty on the outside and some of the 2 part epoxy on the inside.  The chisel head had a tapered part where it had met the handle before the smaller shank that went into the handle. I put the putty over that so it could not come out.  I drew a picture of what I am talking about.  I put 2 part epoxy on part A chisel nub and fit it into part B 1/4" nipple.  I then put 2 part epoxy on part B and fit it into part C 1/2" pipe. Top drawing.  Once that went together I used the JB Weld putty and put a layer on over the bevel on the chisel and onto the pipe.  When that hardened I wrapped some electrical tape around it then put more putty over that further down the bevel and pipe (as seen on the bottom drawing).  Once that hardened I wrapped some electrical tape around that.  I chopped a 10" hole through 24" of ice with it today and it held up perfectly.  To make the grip I drilled a 1/4" hole in the top of the pipe right below the cap then figured out where I wanted the grip to end.  I wrapped some rubber electrical tape around the pipe from the bottom to the top to prevent the 3/16th rope from slipping.  Made half hitch in the rope at the bottom of the rubber tape wrapped it 3 times and used regular electrical tape to hold it in place. Then I tightly wound the rope up the shaft till I reached the hole I drilled stuck the rope through the hole wrapped back around to where it went through the hole and stuck it under the rope going through the hole and pulled tight wrapped some regular electrical tape around that and done.  If you have any questions feel free to PM me.  Sorry about the drawing but I am not a good artist.

EDIT:  So the JB weld broke.  Keith found a better solution.  Fiber Fix.  Just replace the JB weld with fiber fix. 

Chopped a 10" hole through 2' (12" white ice and 12" black ice) in 4 minutes.

It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Re: My chisel build for $45
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2015, 09:35 PM »
If I lived closer I'd have you make another for me if you were up to it lol

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2015, 09:40 PM »
That looks plenty sharp, MrE.     ;)2

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2015, 04:20 AM »
What do you use for a blade guard?  I'd cut myself quick with something like that.  A cold chisel of appropriate size might work (not quite as well) but draw a lot less blood.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2015, 05:36 AM »
Interesting build MrE. Thanks for sharing.

WS

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2015, 05:50 AM »
I made my chisel guard with a 6 in pc of 1 1/2 pvc pipe. I put a pvc cap on 1 end .Put the other in in a vise and used a heat gun to slowly heat the pipe as the pipe heated I tightened the vise until the pipe flattened enough to fit my chisel. works great .
Oops! is too late.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2015, 07:24 AM »
Interesting build MrE. Thanks for sharing.

WS
2X that, looks great
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2015, 08:30 AM »

That's a lot nicer than one I saw, the guy just welded a chisel to a piece of rebar. Yours look real professional. Good Job! :thumbsup:

IW

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2015, 09:57 AM »
Wow, that's a lot of money just to chop ice.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2015, 03:28 PM »
What do you use for a blade guard?  I'd cut myself quick with something like that.  A cold chisel of appropriate size might work (not quite as well) but draw a lot less blood.

Folded over my old AAA card and electrical tape.
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: My chisel build for $45 (Updated)
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2016, 10:11 AM »
Well with the early ice around I figured I would bump this up to the top for guys wondering what to do about a spud/chisel for early ice.  Always have one with you and make sure to check new ice out before assuming it is safe.  I don't wanna read about anyone on here giving their life for a few fish.  Stay safe and tight lines. :tipup:

Offline Jigginforjumbos

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2016, 07:26 PM »
Message to original builder: I'm going to attempt this this weekend! How often do u need to sharpen your chisel? Considering using a masonry chisel instead and I'm going to be welding my pieces in other than using JB since I'm fortunate enough to have some friends who have a welder. Just want to know how long it keeps and edge and if youd go bigger than a 2 inch blade?  Very nice tutorial brother
Hard water, vexilar, aqua vu, and my brother to fish with is my ultimate high.

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2016, 07:31 PM »
Wow old post.  I have since changed the JB Weld to fiber fix.  Works amazing.  I have a friend that welds also gonna bring it to him.   But if you don't have a friend that welds FIBER FIX it.   Now to answer your question.  Have not had to sharpen it at all.  I used it on my ice dams last year also.  I folded over an old AAA card and wrapped electrical tape around it to make a cover for it. Still just as sharp as the day I made it.

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2016, 07:35 PM »
Oh.....and no a 2" blade is good for popin caps and chippin ice in your hole with a tipup in it.  Any bigger and I would hit my tipup.

Offline Jigginforjumbos

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2016, 07:39 PM »
Thanks man! Sorry I pm'd ya too. Didn't know if youd answer the thread. I always used my dad's spud when going out and his head on the spud is so Damn thick it takes foreverrrr to cut a hole. Is old lol so I've been searching, and this design strikes me as easy build and efficient. Will let u know how it turns out! Thanks again!
Hard water, vexilar, aqua vu, and my brother to fish with is my ultimate high.

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2016, 07:45 PM »
Thanks man! Sorry I pm'd ya too. Didn't know if youd answer the thread. I always used my dad's spud when going out and his head on the spud is so Damn thick it takes foreverrrr to cut a hole. Is old lol so I've been searching, and this design strikes me as easy build and efficient. Will let u know how it turns out! Thanks again!

No problem. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2016, 07:53 AM »
What is the overall length of the chisel?

Offline chevy rotbox

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2016, 03:47 PM »
took a wood splitting wedge drilled a hole and taped it, screwed in black pipe, cant brake it.
retired let the fishing begin

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2016, 06:56 PM »
What is the overall length of the chisel?

About the width of my Yukon.  It just fits across the back seat.  5'6" maybe....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.