Author Topic: Did that REALLY just happen?  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Foosty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici.
Did that REALLY just happen?
« on: Feb 18, 2015, 09:58 PM »
What's the goofiest thing you've done or had happen to you while fishing hardwater?
!!!FISH ON!!!

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Did that REALLY just happen?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2015, 10:04 PM »
I watched my buddies can of Budweiser get caught in the wind and basicly travel a mile up the lake across perfectly flat and snow free ice. It never tipped over lol. It just kept going and going................. ...........
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline Foosty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2015, 10:18 PM »
I watched my buddies can of Budweiser get caught in the wind and basicly travel a mile up the lake across perfectly flat and snow free ice. It never tipped over lol. It just kept going and going................. ...........

Lol, hmm, 2 party fouls there. #1, not maintaining beer control. #2, not retrieving escaped beer. Also, WHO doesn't want to belong to the "Mile Long" club?! Lol
!!!FISH ON!!!

Offline bird50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2015, 10:18 PM »
My cousin and I pushed my Dad and uncle off their holes while they were in their shack, with their own pickup.  Left bumper against door so they couldn't get out to auger.  Stole their fish and beer off the ice.  (20 years ago- no cell phones) Someone rescued them a couple hours later.  I think they were more proud than pissed!!!

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2015, 10:23 PM »
Had seagulls all around us one day and fishing was slow so we took a tipup with a minnow on it and placed the minnow on the ice and the tip up in a bucket. The seagull Would pick the minnow up and trip the flag but Drop it as soon as it felt the line. Made for a few flags hehe hey you asked!
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline Foosty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2015, 10:25 PM »
My cousin and I pushed my Dad and uncle off their holes while they were in their shack, with their own pickup.  Left bumper against door so they couldn't get out to auger.  Stole their fish and beer off the ice.  (20 years ago- no cell phones) Someone rescued them a couple hours later.  I think they were more proud than pissed!!!

Holy freakin' awesome! Ballsy, funny-mean, and down right Onery! Great story, thanks.
!!!FISH ON!!!

Offline redhorseking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2015, 10:31 PM »
I've seen 2 really funny things on the Saginaw river. the first was a drunk guy who was in his shanty and blew about 600 yards or more downwind in a gust, broke all his stuff!

the next was at the same spot 2 years before. a guy came out w/ a 2 man cabin style shanty who was new to ice fishing and bragged he had a great wife for buying him all this gear for x-mas.
an hour later he burned the shanty and all his gear to the ice!!!!  ;D ;D ;D
I toad a soo!

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2015, 10:33 PM »
Party foul...lol. Yeah, we had a lot of those back in the day!

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2015, 10:37 PM »
Just a few days ago my neighbor told me that him and his buddy were erecting their shanty on a SUPER windy day. It got away from them and blew hundreds of yards across the lake then went airborn and ended up a long ways away hung up in trees in a farm pasture. I guess they said the hell with it and went home lol. His dad asked where the shanty was a few weeks later and he said "dont ask"

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2015, 11:04 PM »
Some guy told me about the Poop Shanty...
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2015, 03:15 AM »
My friend and I were fishing one day and weren't getting any hits all day long when these two kids that use to come down and talk with us all the time showed up with a rod and reel combo with a big buzz bait on it.  The younger one asked me for a minnow so I gave him a few and told him to go over and use one of the holes I was using before.  About five minutes later they started yelling and when I looked over they were holding up a decent perch they caught.  I told my friend look at that and when he looked over he said that's it, I'm done, threw down his jiggin rod, and started waiving his arms around and walking in circles like he was having a seizure.  If that wasn't enough the kids asked him if he wanted the fish or for them to show him how they caught it. 

Another time we went fishing and there was water on top of the ice but he forgot his cleats.  While we were walking out he slipped and fell and while he was getting up he fell down again.  After this happened three or four times I asked him if he was going to fish or play in the water all day long.  He started mumbling something while he was trying to get up and fell down again.   Needless to say I had a good laugh at his expense. 

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2015, 03:49 AM »
A few years back I lived by a popular lake that had stunted dink perch.  Guys would ice little ones all day long and pickle them.  There was a resident blue heron (Darin the heron) that hung out on the ice all day.  One day I watched Darin sneak up on a guys' pile of fish.  The guy was sitting on his bucket minding his own business and Darin was behind him about 20 yards.  He would sneak up and grab a dink out of the pile and back up about 20 yards, he did this successfully 2 times, on the third the guy turned around and charged Darin.  He had the fish in his bill and dropped it and took off with that sqwauk thing they do.  The guy grabbed his fish cursing up a storm and put it back on the pile.  I miss Darin....Good times, he's probably still out there doing it.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2015, 04:28 AM »
Not ice related but see a youtube of Heron using bread to fish with, would put it in water and you could see small fish picking at it, It would grab it away, then put it back until the fish kept getting closer.

Was called cleaver bird 
Bud

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2015, 04:41 AM »
Was out on a "Blistery" day, 45MPH+ winds and heard a guy screamin' and a weird scraping sound. Looked out the shanty door just in time to see a shanty go sliding by with the guy still in it as the wind blew him and his shanty half way across the lake! He finally stopped, sort of, when his shanty hit a snow drift and spilled him out onto the ice and the shanty took off again like a kite. Never did see where that shanty ended up.

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2015, 01:33 PM »
trolling for northerns in the spring time the area we were fishing was loaded with emerald shiners, well the seagulls were filthy getting their grub on. Welp, all of a sudden my buddies rod gets yanked and of course we say "FISH ON" well its pretty funny fighting a "fish" upwards. Like he was flying a kite that took drag. After getting the gull to the boat and having to cover its eyes to keep it calm and finessing the hook out we "released" our catch...The gull stood on the bow of the boat like a boss for about 20 min while we continued fishing before finally flying off.

Offline English

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2015, 02:08 PM »
When I was a young kid my brother had a Brittany Spaniel named Skipper.  We would take Skipper ice fishing with us and if he got bored my brother would leash the dog to our ice fishing sled and get pulled around.  There was no control over the dog he just went and seemed to enjoy it.  Well one day we were fishing and not paying attention and the dog was out getting into mischief.  Suddenly we heard a yell, "hey get out of here!".  Here comes Skipper with somebody's prize blue gill in his mouth.  We laughed about it...took the fish back and continued fishing.

Maybe an hour later he came trotting up as only a bird dog can do with his head held high with pride.  He was carrying something and you'd have thought by the way he was trotting he had a grouse or pheasant.  But it was white?  Finally he came up to us and we got him to give it up.  Ended up being someones lunch bag and had several cookies!!!  Brother and I split them and kept right on fishing!!!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2015, 09:56 PM »
When I was a young kid my brother had a Brittany Spaniel named Skipper.  We would take Skipper ice fishing with us and if he got bored my brother would leash the dog to our ice fishing sled and get pulled around.  There was no control over the dog he just went and seemed to enjoy it.  Well one day we were fishing and not paying attention and the dog was out getting into mischief.  Suddenly we heard a yell, "hey get out of here!".  Here comes Skipper with somebody's prize blue gill in his mouth.  We laughed about it...took the fish back and continued fishing.

Maybe an hour later he came trotting up as only a bird dog can do with his head held high with pride.  He was carrying something and you'd have thought by the way he was trotting he had a grouse or pheasant.  But it was white?  Finally he came up to us and we got him to give it up.  Ended up being someones lunch bag and had several cookies!!!  Brother and I split them and kept right on fishing!!!

Sorry, not so funny if you ask me.. I understand this may have been awhile back..  But this is one reason I do not like to see dogs on the ice.   I've had several encounters with dogs on the ice.. Unleashed, running free as they wish.. Urinating on shelters, buckets and what ever else they choose.  Picking up anything that looked /smelt interesting to them..  Not funny..    Don't get me wrong, I love dogs.  I have 3 laying beside me as I type this.. But I  have a problem with irresponcible owners who take them out on the ice and are not keeping them under control.

Offline duke14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • thats why they call it fishin,not catchin!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2015, 06:49 AM »
watched aperm shanty goin 30mph on the pond one day,went bout a half a mile before hitting the shore an blowin  apart
time to go I said,lol

Offline tricohatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2015, 01:20 PM »
My buddy John and I were fishing on our favorite lake and we were catching a mix of bass,gills and crappie. I had my 3 poles in and John had his 2 poles in. When all of a sudden one of John's poles gets a bite and gets pulled down the hole before he can get to it! Well needless to say, John wasn't real happy about losing the pole but, I loaned him another pole and we kept turning lookers into hookers! About 2 hours later John hooks one that seems to have quite a bit of weight to it. After about a 10 minute battle he sees a bobber from his lost pole at the bottom of the ice and he ends uppulling in his lost pole with a 14" crappie on that line and another 12" crappie on the pole I had loaned him! :o :icefish:

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2015, 01:34 PM »
Just the other day,I watched an older gentleman set up a small deer hunting blind to fish from.for several hours he fought to keep it upright in some very high winds.During a 10 minute lull in the wind,suddenly his blind totally fell over with him in it.
    Myself and a fellow fishermen thought the old guy had a heart attack and died,but after a few seconds the binld began to move,and the old guy crawled out.He had fallen asleep,and fell backward off his stool,pulling the blind over with him,funny,funny!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2015, 03:14 PM »
Too funny, Osage.  I can just see that in slow motion. HAHAHAHAHA

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2015, 03:30 PM »
One night in a friends Ice Castle, an extremely intoxicated friend of ours fell down to his crotch in a 10" hole... He didn't get out for a little while, and we asked him what he was doing....

His response: "The water is so warm, I could sit here all day!"...

To this day, we still are unsure if he was too drunk to know how cold the water was, or if he was just peeing down his leg...

Needless to say, we cut him off of the Crown Royal after that!

Go Beavers!

Offline Hyland33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2015, 06:42 PM »
Last weekend was really windy out on the lake and I was sitting in the hut and noticed the hut started to lift up during one gust. I stood up and went to the edge to hold it down, as soon as I put my hand on it I was 10 feet back on my ass with the hut on top of me, my fish finder face down in the hole I was using, my jig stick no where to be found, chair bags blowing across the lake, and no clue as to what just happened hahaha. The gust ripped out one of the stakes from the ice and another clip on another broke as the hut flew backwards with me inside it.
-Andrew
Newfound Circus

Offline Foosty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici.
« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2015, 09:28 PM »
My buddy John and I were fishing on our favorite lake and we were catching a mix of bass,gills and crappie. I had my 3 poles in and John had his 2 poles in. When all of a sudden one of John's poles gets a bite and gets pulled down the hole before he can get to it! Well needless to say, John wasn't real happy about losing the pole but, I loaned him another pole and we kept turning lookers into hookers! About 2 hours later John hooks one that seems to have quite a bit of weight to it. After about a 10 minute battle he sees a bobber from his lost pole at the bottom of the ice and he ends uppulling in his lost pole with a 14" crappie on that line and another 12" crappie on the pole I had loaned him! :o :icefish:

Bet John was all smiles after that! Cool!
!!!FISH ON!!!

Offline Foosty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici.
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2015, 09:30 PM »
Just the other day,I watched an older gentleman set up a small deer hunting blind to fish from.for several hours he fought to keep it upright in some very high winds.During a 10 minute lull in the wind,suddenly his blind totally fell over with him in it.
    Myself and a fellow fishermen thought the old guy had a heart attack and died,but after a few seconds the binld began to move,and the old guy crawled out.He had fallen asleep,and fell backward off his stool,pulling the blind over with him,funny,funny!

When is a nap NOT awesome for SOMEBODY?
!!!FISH ON!!!

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 25, 2015, 09:31 PM »
Years ago we were heating our shack with rubbing alcohol.  Bottle of rubbing alcohol poured in a coffee can over the top of a roll of toilet paper.  Good enough to get the chill out of the air.  A guy who was none too bright joined us one day and as we were packing up I told him to set the can outside so it would go out.  He thinks it's a birthday cake, takes a deep breath and tries blowing it out.  The fire flashed back and lit his hair on fire. 

Setting flags up of the unsuspecting is good for a minor laugh....but unspooling an entire tipup and wrapping the line around a brick, then kicking the flag up is good for a major laugh.  The mark gets to the flag and starts pulling and feels something tugging back but it's actually the line unwinding off of the brick.  Usually get someone with that trick once a year. 

I agree that dogs can be a pain on the ice.  I like dogs but I despise them when their owners just let them run freely.  If one wanders over and craps close by I have in the past and I will continue in the future to grab a shovel, scoop the crap up, and dump it in the vehicle of the dog's owner. 

Offline Foosty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici.
« Reply #26 on: Feb 25, 2015, 09:41 PM »
If one wanders over and craps close by I have in the past and I will continue in the future to grab a shovel, scoop the crap up, and dump it in the vehicle of the dog's owner.

Yup. Crap in my yard is directly deposited to dog owners porch.
!!!FISH ON!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.