Author Topic: flying fish  (Read 2669 times)

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
flying fish
« on: Jan 12, 2006, 07:04 PM »
So I'm out fishing in the rain today and doing ok, around 2 pm things have come to a standstill so I decide to pack up camp and head in.  I start folding up the shanty and look over at one of my tip-ups and I have a flag.  So I go over and catch this nice little salmon-

Since I have to go that way to get home with the sled I leave him on the ice to pick up when I go by, and go back to finish packing up the shanty.  I'm just about to head over to pick my salmon up when I happen to see a bit of a commotion over by my fish ???  There on the ice, on top of my fish is a mature bald eagle ::)  Now this was the only fish I had kept all day because the folks I had given the last salmon to had asked for more and that's where this one was heading. Well this eagle had different plans, I started walking over to scare it off my fish, but instead of just leaving, the eagle took off with the whole darn fish :woot:  This eagle and his date took off down the lake with my fish and had most of it ate by the time I could get my binocs out to see where they had went!  At least I had taken a pic of the fish before I finished packing or all I would have is another fishing story ;)  This is the only halfway good pic I could get of the eagle packing off my fish :o

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
Re: flying fish
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2006, 07:12 PM »
HAHA Ive had an eagle eye my fish before but never run off with it! :o

Offline TaterSalad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2006, 07:43 PM »
Too bad you lost the fish.  I would have loved to see that in person.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2006, 08:09 PM »
great pic and story, I am sure the eagle needed it more than the neighbors right? I am very glad
to see those big birds making a comeback in the 'dacks 
growing up we never saw them... I can remember my dad saying 20 years ago that I would prob. never
see one wild in the 'dacks.
We now have atleast 3 documented mating pairs here in the southern adirondacks Fulton/Hamilton county areas
I have seen eagles on 10-15  Adirondack backcountry trips!

That is a beauty salmon. love the coloration...
did it have an injury there on the nose?

nice catch again adkg :) 

go team NY

Offline Cook078

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good Fishing
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2006, 08:18 PM »

AWESOME.....that is soo cool.....too bad you lost the fish though.....Still an amazing sight!!!

Mike
have a CRAPPIE day!!

Offline Eddie Flo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2006, 08:32 PM »
what a great fishing story
ive had eagles come down and take perch before such beautiful birds
nice salmon tho good thing u got pics bfore
Flags up... Fish on!

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2006, 10:03 PM »
I bet the Eagle needed it  Glad you could contribute too the cause :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2006, 11:14 PM »

Great stuff, l really love seeing eagles in the wild. We have seen
them in the Montezuma Refuge and down the south end of Hemlock lake. When I was an intern down at the Muller Field Station, we put up an eagle platform in a 120ft. White pine. The DEC flew the valley for a tree site and this one was the biggest. We haven't gotten a nesting pair yet, but were hopeful!  :tipup:

billybono

« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2006, 12:17 AM »
very cool

billybono

Offline Big_Buck_Hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pull it out and measure it.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2006, 11:01 AM »
I think the eagles start eating fish after they have consumed all of the mountain lions ::) ::).  Maybe we can get them to focus on all those wild hogs running around... :whistle: :whistle:
Life is just a bunch of BS between deer seasons.
Mama doesn't know the toys we keep...

Offline fish boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2006, 11:35 AM »
very Cool!  I've lost a few ducks ove the yearts to Eagles.  Fed a nice Bull goldeneye to an immature bald eagle last month as a matter of fact.  It got away from us while we were hunting from shore and the eagle had to fight the Black Backs for it.  Glad the Eagle won out.  Hey look at the bright side, no fish to clean when you got home.  none to eat either :'(

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2006, 11:38 AM »
nice hook jaw
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline Smeltecca

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never mess with another man's hole.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2006, 11:44 AM »
It was worth losing the fish just for the experience and the story.  Very Cool!
  Ice Fishermen Walk on Water!

Offline fishincrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The meaning of life is fishing with your friends.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2006, 07:49 PM »
Thats a great story, and sweet pics.
All I need is ice and the fish will come.

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2006, 08:51 PM »

Yeah Big Buck Hunter, decided to keep my 2cents on the hogs after the mountain lion debate, I know,.........Whew!. Went over to my brother in-law's today who has land in Rush,NY and damn if there wasn't an immature bald eagle sitting on a dead tree branch about 75 yards out from the access road. Saw it was a big bird, got the binoc's out and to my amazement ther it was,no doubt! Not too many in that area, only an occasional fly through, migrating. Wonder where it fledged out of? Anyway, cool stuff.  :tipup:

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2006, 09:32 AM »
Shawner,

There are Bald eagles on Hemlock and Canadice lakes here in western New York.  If you are bored sometime (in August) head up to the Braddock Bay raptor research blind on Manitou road.  They catch and band many bald eagles every year.  My buddy used to work fir them.  He took me there 2 summer ago and I was amazed.  If you want more info send me a PM.

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2006, 10:51 AM »

Thanks Gambell, did get clued into there a couple years ago. Your right it is amazing! Used to live right near there and you'll see quite a variety of raptors and other birds in that area because it is a migration route. Good stuff! ;) :tipup:

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2006, 10:57 AM »
Great story  :) Nuff said.  
I  was out mtn biking a few years ago in Grafton Lakes St Park. I stopped by this small pond to get drink and this Bald eagle was perched up on an old dead tree. I looked at him and he looked at me for about 10 seconds. I guess he had enough of me and flew off. Wish I had the camera :( Beautiful creature.

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2006, 10:08 PM »
that sux about losing the fish but it had to be cool to watch WTG on the salmon

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.