The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Pike Hot spots Champlain ??  (Read 5959 times)

Offline Codyjames215

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pike Hot spots Champlain ??
« on: Feb 11, 2015, 07:49 PM »
Heading up to burlington Vermont on lake Champlain, anyone know of any spots I can fish for pike around there? Would like to catch pike walleye lake trout yellow perch and crappie, can anyone please point me in the right direction ??

Offline BassInVt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ain't nothing better than fishing!!
Re: Pike Hot spots Champlain ??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2015, 07:53 PM »
Heading up to burlington Vermont on lake Champlain, anyone know of any spots I can fish for pike around there? Would like to catch pike walleye lake trout yellow perch and crappie, can anyone please point me in the right direction ??

with that list, you will be running all over lake champlain.  shallow water weed beads for northerns, Usually the islands. sand bar is usually good. perch are gonna run anyweres from 50 feet to 5 feet. Lakers usually over deep water. walleye, like the rocky areas. will come up to the flats early morning late evening.
What?? fish are biting, I'm gone

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2015, 07:54 PM »
where the perch are the pike are.

Offline Codyjames215

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2015, 08:04 PM »
Any specific bays or anything ? I'll be in burlington so anything relatively close to that would be great. We may hit holiday harbor for a day also

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2015, 08:26 PM »
You're going to fish the islands to find any hot bays

Offline BassInVt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2015, 05:39 AM »
I would suggest south side of sand bar state park. You will see were everyone parks or drives onto the ice. and you should see plenty of people there. Holiday harbour is another good spot.  Dillenbeck I hear is good also.  The Gut, were I will be today is also a hot spot. Good luck

Offline Codyjames215

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2015, 06:31 AM »
Thanks bassinvt could you pm me with how you make out ?

Offline BassInVt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2015, 06:43 AM »

yup np

Offline NoFishInThisLake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2015, 08:12 AM »
I had some luck with pike in Mallets Bay. Over by the marinas. 12 FOW.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2015, 09:43 AM »

For pike I would do South Sandbar. There will be lots of people but there are also lots of pike. Some were catching panfish there as well around the weed lines. Dillenbeck is also a good pike and panfish spot. Decent depth and weed cover for them. I had good luck there about 200 yards from the boat launch before. There's a deeper channel right there.

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2015, 11:28 AM »
Dillenbeck has always done good for me. Missiquoi Bay is a great spot but a bit further drive. HH is a good spot. I talked with Bruce and he said the fishing has been good. Sand bar area also. All good Pike spots. Cow banks will put you on some Laker action and maybe some Salmon. Perch everywhere. GL
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline Codyjames215

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2015, 03:08 PM »
When you guys say south side of sandbar where exactly is that ?

Offline FishinIsLife

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2015, 05:22 PM »
Sandbar is rt2 heading into islands. left (south) side is shallow and good for pike, perch, sunnies and crappie when they are in there, but is very crowded on weekends. However don't be afraid to be away from the pack to catch fish. Right(north) side drops off fast and can be a good shot at Lakers

Offline Codyjames215

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2015, 05:38 PM »
What road can I take to south side sand bar ??

Offline seayaknh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2015, 05:47 PM »
From Burlington, take rte 7 north, then get on rte 2 north. It will take you to the Sandbar.  The Sandbar is over fished in my opinion.  If you're coming all the way to VT, take a bit more time to go further north.  The Gut, just off Knights Point State Park in Noth Hero will likely give you a nice catch of perch and pike. Fish for pike in Hibbards Bay. Better perch fishing is out along the causeway.  Go a bit further north and you can fish the Alburgh passage at Holiday Harbor. Lots of pike and perch.  want big pike?  Go to Mississquoi Bay.

Offline Codyjames215

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2015, 11:32 PM »
What part of Mississoui Bay? How far from the bank should I fish? What water depth ??

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2015, 05:20 AM »
The whole bay is shallow.  I don't think it gets much more than 20ft deep in the middle but could be wrong.  I was up there a couple weeks ago and there was already 18" of ice.  You can drive on across from Martins store which also sells bait.  I was about 500 yards from the west edge and was still only in 6ft of water so the whole bay is perfect for pike.  It's a longer drive for you though.

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2015, 08:10 AM »

So this is my "secret" Hog Island honey hole; treat it with respect.  I fished the circled spot regularly since mid 1980's (was trout fishing in NEK before that) and have caught lakers, one salmon, pike, yellows and whites, big rock (or black) bass, smelt, and one bullpout but never a crappie (unless you call that rock bass a crappie, some do) and some really nice walleyes.  I moved over to the arrowed spot about 4 years ago when Richard Levesque took down his sign for the access by his house there at the Shalom farm.  Still catching the same fish.

Offline Codyjames215

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2015, 08:58 AM »
Where is a bait shop close to hog island or Mississoui Bay??

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2015, 03:13 PM »
Martins' store in Highgate Springs is right on Rte. 7 on the right just as you enter the town, a few miles north of Swanton.

Hog Island Market is on the right side of the Lake Road which is the last left hand turn just before you cross the new Alburgh Bridge (there's a boating access there right across the road on the right) coming from Swanton heading west on Rte. 78.

Oh, by the way, Ray's Seafood on North Street in Burlington only has spikes for bait.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.