Author Topic: Echo Lake  (Read 1954 times)

Offline Perch_Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Echo Lake
« on: Jan 11, 2006, 10:31 PM »
I am new to this site and love it so far. Anyways, I am thinking of heading to Echo this weekend with some buddies. I was there earlier this year and in front of the fish hatchery was good. I also heard in front of Baseta(sp?) is good. IS this still true?

Also, with the warm temperatures and the currents on these lakes, should I be worried about ice thickness?

Thanks

Offline BRINGTHEICE64

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Echo Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2006, 12:11 AM »
Welcome to ice shanty Perch_fisher.  Well i've been fishing mission and echo alot this year.   Umm basata point has been slow but were the river runs from pasqua is were i've found the jumbo's.  If you go on at Basata there is a heave that runs from the point alomst to the far east end of the lake, u'll see it.  The ice is thick but there is some spots were it's thinner were there's deeper water .  U'll just have to be cautious the river is wide open so stay away from them (just the obvious) and you should be okay.  I'll be heading out tommorow to the river mouth in search of the eyes.  But if your looking to hit some jumbo perch i've been hammering them all week.  Have you fished mission??, because the perch have been hitting well there 2.  I was out today (On mission) and limted out but the walleye are really starting to slow down, because of all the traffic on the lake.  Ne way good luck and let me know how u do ttyl.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2006, 01:25 AM »
BRINGTHEICE, since the rivers are still open a person could still cast into them have you ever tried that, if so any luck? :-\

WW

Offline Perch_Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2006, 07:50 PM »
Thanks for the info BRINGTHEICE. I saw the heave on echo when I went out earlier this year, it would be pretty hard to miss is, but thanks for the warning. Have you still been driving your vehicle onto the ice these days?

Hopefully I will catch some big perch on the weekend, I was shut out the first time I went out this year.

Thanks again.

Offline BRINGTHEICE64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2006, 03:54 PM »
Oh ya i've still been driving on the lake, if you stick to basata you'll be fine but if u wana get closer to the river mouth you should probably get on at the first nation reserve side (west end).  I think that'll i'll try the river mouth tommorow.  You could cast in the river mouth forsure WATER WOLF but u'll just mostly catch tullibee, a freind of mine caught a 10lbs 4oz walleye in the river that seperates pasqua and echo.  I went out front of the river mouth yesterday and caught 25 nice size perch, and 3 walleye, i really think that it is going to heat up for jumbo's thier soon.  Ne way talk to ya guys l8er. 

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2006, 06:24 PM »
Thanks for the info BRINGTHEICE. How thick is the ice on Echo, especially around the river mouth? I know it should be a bit thinner near it but how much I am not sure. :-\

WW

Offline BRINGTHEICE64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2006, 08:35 PM »
Well the closer u go the thinner it gets obviously.  The closiest i got was about 4-6 inchs any thinner than that around those river mouth your really messing with danger.  I donno if i can get out this weekend gotta do the spa thing in moose jaw with the wife  :P maybe i'll sneek out to buffalo pound and try to hook a pike lol ne way ttyl

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.