Author Topic: Plowing Parking lots  (Read 3845 times)

Offline Iceman81

• IceShanty Rookie
Plowing Parking lots
« on: Feb 08, 2015, 09:37 AM »
Anybody around here know how to get these parking lots plowed. Good luck getting into the majority of these places. With the price of a license these days I expect to see results. Can't fish a magority of spots due to snowed in parking lots. How hard would it be for the state,town to just make a pass once?

Offline TT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Plowing Parking lots
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2015, 10:07 AM »
I believe it's in the Ct. Boaters Guide that the state boat launches are not plowed by the state.

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2015, 10:22 AM »
Reason I invested in BF Goodrich AT's on my truck,  to help getting into spots.   Some spots can be dangerous with ice,  lots that go downhill and such.   The only hope is a town or state plow guy is a ice fisherman and plows the lot. 

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2015, 12:44 PM »
Reason I invested in BF Goodrich AT's on my truck,  to help getting into spots.   Some spots can be dangerous with ice,  lots that go downhill and such.   The only hope is a town or state plow guy is a ice fisherman and plows the lot.

2" lift, 33"x10.5 bfg A/T and a great drive limited slip in the rear end get my truck just about anywhere I need to get. Love those tires.
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline hippiemick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2015, 03:27 PM »
We should not let the state off the hook . We pay to fish these lakes  , the parking lots should be maintained during the fishing season . There is no excuse .

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2015, 04:16 PM »
I couldn't agree more, just to let you know Coventry lake launch is plowed nicely. don't no if the town takes care of it, but it was plowed as of yesterday. also crescent lake in Southington lot is plowed too.

Offline camo man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:03 PM »
Most places I get out to are barely plowed if at all, I usually slide out sideways and hope I make it. If there is anyone we can bring this up to and get a result I'm sure all the two wheel drive guys on this site including myself would be more than Willing To do so.

Offline ATrexOnTheIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WOMAN SEEKS LARGEMOUTH BASS
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2015, 08:03 PM »
I agree, sometimes some launches are plowed and sometimes theyre not. Winchester was plowed for the first storm and then this past storm they pushed a pile 6' high right onto the entry area of the ice. I looked like an idiot falling over the other side w/ all my gear. It seems they could add plowing these launches as they know our fees cover winter fishing too. Maybe we should organize and try to petition the state to include this service. They might raise fees however and Im not sure who we would need to speak to, to get this going but it would be pretty cool to have this changed. Especially if it came from IceShanty folks. I would commit the time for sure.

Offline cmlindblom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2015, 10:55 PM »
Am I mistaken or doesn't the licensing fees go into conservation and such.. I think plowing state launch ramps would be a solid waste of the funds. I just shoveled myself a parking spot yesterday.... worked out nicely.
You Keep it, You EAT it!

Check out my Videos at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWoXjqKZuNxCIbhTVXn4dTw

Offline dmhawks93

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2015, 01:51 AM »
State plow made a pass this morning at black pond around 545 when I was getting out of my car. Lot is actually plowed quite nice
i fish because i can

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2015, 11:03 AM »
We should not let the state off the hook . We pay to fish these lakes  , the parking lots should be maintained during the fishing season . There is no excuse .
    i agree
what is and what should never be

Offline BWB-ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2015, 12:02 PM »
Just got off the phone with an individual at The Western Field Services Headquarters.  He stated that they do not plow the areas.  Most are designated as "boat launch" areas and are maintained to launch boats. Since there are no boats being launched in the winter there is no need to plow. He was very pleasent and understood that that was not the answer I was looking for. ::) no ___T!
When I called the Eastern Field Service Headquarters the individual stated that they do plow some areas but not all...

The gentlan at the WFSH said it has been discussed because they used to plow some but not all and was decided to not do any so as not to run into issues. My thought is that if it has been discussed in the past it can be brought up for discussion again...hopefully with a better outcome.
"If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago". Zane Grey

"The water you touch in a river is the last of that which has passed, and the first of that which is coming; thus it is with time". Leonardo DaVinci

Offline cmlindblom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2015, 01:56 PM »
Is this really that big of a problem you all want to get all active about it? This sounds very whiny to me. Take the extra time to figure out a way to get onto a body of water if you want to fish it. I have not once this year not fished a place because of something like this. If I want to fish it, and it is legal, I will get onto it. Look on the bright side, it may protect the body of water from over fishing this year.... oh and plowing parking lots, once again, is not my idea of money well spent conserving wildlife......
You Keep it, You EAT it!

Check out my Videos at:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2015, 02:02 PM »
It really is a non-issue.  I always get a chuckle when someone says "we'll our fees do this or that"  the reality is that those funds are burnt up in the general fund, and moreover the state spends more stocking trout than they receive in license fees.  Keep in mind hat every state in New England has seen declining sales....so the argument that we deserve this or that because we buy a license is weak at best.

Offline weneric

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2015, 02:09 PM »
i agree. i wanted to say the same thing, but i was afraid of a firestorm.
wishing i was still young

Offline cmlindblom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2015, 02:16 PM »
Firestorm? haha this is a super opinionated community, we should all but immune to a firestorm of opinions by now. Whos actually right in any giving fishing controversy? I say Dorf usually has the right answer.
You Keep it, You EAT it!

Check out my Videos at:

Offline weneric

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2015, 02:22 PM »
i still dont like to start trouble. sometimes its like saying something to my wife when she is having a bad hair day.

Offline cmlindblom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2015, 02:35 PM »
i still dont like to start trouble. sometimes its like saying something to my wife when she is having a bad hair day.

Haha solid reference.
You Keep it, You EAT it!

Check out my Videos at:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2015, 02:50 PM »
Firestorm? haha this is a super opinionated community, we should all but immune to a firestorm of opinions by now. Whos actually right in any giving fishing controversy? I say Dorf usually has the right answer.

You got that all right!

Offline Retiredbum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2015, 03:03 PM »
Last year I drove over 30 mins. To find a parking lot loaded with about 3 feet of snow.  Will no way did I try to get to the lake. Turned around and went home. I would of been history if I tryed to get to it.

Offline fishingabomb2006

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2015, 03:14 PM »
don't bring a knife to a gun fight (or a yaris to ice fish) if you want to ice fish and make it your passion either own a plow, pay someone to plow or learn to drive your truck in the snow and no a subaru forester is not a truck....
Team Goldfish 55 :-D :-D
lifetime jigging goals:
gill-done; perch-done; crappie- done; bass- done; carp-done; catfish-done, splake-done; rainbow-done; brookie- done; pike- done; pickeral-done (29inch6.5lb); white fish-done;  laker-  ;cusk-  ;salmon-  ;walleye-

Offline weneric

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2015, 03:59 PM »
there are plenty of shovels at home depot. ill take the trout stocking. thats more important.

Offline ATrexOnTheIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WOMAN SEEKS LARGEMOUTH BASS
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2015, 05:36 PM »
Cmlinblom    Whats whiny is you repeating your opinion that its a waste of funds. It seems this issue doesn't effect you but  to others it does. Nobody is saying it keeps us off the ice but it would be nice for the plow guys to make a pass or two into the launches while on the main road.

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2015, 05:42 PM »
sorry, the state could plow the boat launches, granted its not a big priority for them, but whats it take to drop the plow an open the lot up. maybe not during a storm when the roads are more important, but certainly when there doing cleanup. It not only benefits ice fisherman but everybody who enjoys getting out an getting fresh air. Be it sno-shers, Xc skiers, or people out skating or just hiking. Its not about whining, its about allowing people to use a resource safely an efficiently. Taking 20min to open up the lot isn't gonna break anybody's budget.

Offline weneric

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2015, 06:22 PM »
Haha solid reference.
            see what i meant?  some things dont ever change. im 62 and i get out there without complaining. ill say it again. stock trout///. dont waste money plowing a hundred boat launches.

Offline Pike Guy Matt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2015, 07:44 PM »
sorry, the state could plow the boat launches, granted its not a big priority for them, but whats it take to drop the plow an open the lot up. maybe not during a storm when the roads are more important, but certainly when there doing cleanup. It not only benefits ice fisherman but everybody who enjoys getting out an getting fresh air. Be it sno-shers, Xc skiers, or people out skating or just hiking. Its not about whining, its about allowing people to use a resource safely an efficiently. Taking 20min to open up the lot isn't gonna break anybody's budget.
I agree 100%, having a plow spend a few minutes opening up a parking access area is far from being a waste of money.

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 09, 2015, 07:50 PM »
            see what i meant?  some things dont ever change. im 62 and i get out there without complaining. ill say it again. stock trout///. dont waste money plowing a hundred boat launches.
Ha Ha ,62 years old and only thinking about yourself,  id rather see them plow all the launches so everybody can enjoy, as opposed to stocking trout,  your not happy with what the state is doing with our trout fisheries," really sounds like your complaining!!" maybe you should practice C an R. an then everyone can catch some.    the state should take money away from the trout stocking program an concentrate on seein our deer and turkey populations survive thru this tough winter.

Offline waltsfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AH-SUNSET -to fish or not to fish what a stupid ?
« Reply #27 on: Feb 10, 2015, 08:55 AM »
 lots won't  be plowed unless local fire dept. use them for filling trucks

Offline cmlindblom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 10, 2015, 12:46 PM »
Ha yeah I am whining..... Listen, I am pretty tired of what the fishing community is turning into. Everyone wants fish handed to them on a silver platter. Not only does everyone want to know exactly where the state is stocking, the day it is happening so they can go an try and snag some fish in a barrel, but now we don't want to break a nail in an un-serviced parking lot???? I also see a lot of people using the excuse "So everyone can enjoy it". This is the laziest bunch of nonsense I have heard. Unless you are specifically talking about handicap access there is no reason everyone can't use them. My dad would take me and my brothers out in rough climate when we were little and I do the same for my kids. I don't turn around and go home because of a little obstacle.  I am 25 years old so maybe I am bias because I can still trek it but my father, grandfather, and pretty much whole family are in the same sort of mentality. Get over the plowing garbage and try raising up your arms towards real conservation issues.......

You Keep it, You EAT it!

Check out my Videos at:

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 10, 2015, 12:52 PM »
Call the local authorities and tell them some radical right-wing extremist is planning on doing unspeakable things to a piping plover on the ice, and cry "Oh the humanity!" on the phone while doing so!.

Their either show up and pack down the snow to get to the lake.....or their close the pond as a safety hazard. ::)
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.