The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Fishing Sebago Feb 14 & 15  (Read 2816 times)

Offline cchase

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Fishing Sebago Feb 14 & 15
« Reply #30 on: Feb 06, 2015, 12:36 PM »
THE BIOLOGISTS ARE THE PEOPLE WHO PUT TOGUE IN THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE ?
YOU MIGHT NOT WANT TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING THEY SAY.

Lots of mistakes have been made in the state of Maine over the years. Lots of those mistake were made in a time where we lacked knowledge and technology. Do they still make mistakes sure. However our understanding of the way things work has come along way in 40 years. They may not know everything but even in my short life I have seen improvements. I have read a lot of reports and books by state bios enough to know that they have a better understanding then me so I give them the benefit of the doubt. They are also very open to phone calls and public opinion I have spoke with several over the phone even participated in the heritage brook trout study. I can without a doubt say they have the lakes and ponds best interest in mind.   

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 06, 2015, 12:41 PM »
Lots of mistakes have been made in the state of Maine over the years. Lots of those mistake were made in a time where we lacked knowledge and technology. Do they still make mistakes sure. However our understanding of the way things work has come along way in 40 years. They may not know everything but even in my short life I have seen improvements. I have read a lot of reports and books by state bios enough to know that they have a better understanding then me so I give them the benefit of the doubt. They are also very open to phone calls and public opinion I have spoke with several over the phone even participated in the heritage brook trout study. I can without a doubt say they have the lakes and ponds best interest in mind.

I agree with you.  With due respect to the older biologists, I believe that the new young crop of biologists IF&W has now are some of the best ever.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline sebagosalmo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 06, 2015, 12:46 PM »
How many Fish has Your son caught over 23"   He'll be Married and gone before that happens.

My son has caught 1 34 inch fish , 1 29 inch fish and 1 27 inch fish this year with multiple 20 - 25 inch fish this year ! ;)2 and he had no problem releasing all the fish as well as the 34 inch fish, he could have legally kept  ;)

It all comes down to people making choices  :thumbsup:

Offline tundra redneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 06, 2015, 12:57 PM »
I just got me a Eskimo quickfish 6 insulated for the derby, cabelas has them $100off right now.

Offline Smelt Head 47

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 06, 2015, 04:11 PM »
The few times I get a few kids out on Sebago I don't want to tell a kid he's too big have to throw him back 23"to33" I'll take them jigging Perch.  Catch a prime fish for eating Smoking and throw him back .  Screwed up law!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had a second place fish last year in the sebago derby but they rejected it because it was just touching 23 inches

Offline tundra redneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 06, 2015, 04:55 PM »
I had a second place fish last year in the sebago derby but they rejected it because it was just touching 23 inches
so did you get in trouble

Offline Skunkboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 06, 2015, 05:22 PM »
Every year I say I'm going to move my shack to Sebago for the derby.  Once again I'm staying put.  Too much snow to move anywhere.  Hopefully the slot limit will produce some monsters for years to come.

Offline Smelt Head 47

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 08, 2015, 10:31 AM »
I would agree with both statements.

I may have to have a couple pike rigs with me.  I was going to hit up Sebago bait before heading out. Generally smelt is good option for pike/trout, not a big fan of suckers.  Never had much luck with them, but you can turn them into swiss cheese and they keep kick'n. Are jumbo golden shiners (over 6in) available at the bait shops in Maine? 
Our bait in VT is pathetic, unless you go to a Champlain only dealer.
sebago bait does not do xl shiners anymore, he said he used to get them from a fish farm and he no longer has that connect

Offline Smelt Head 47

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 08, 2015, 10:37 AM »
so did you get in trouble
nope no trouble. I flipped my crap on them because when I measured it on the lake it was under 23. I held it by the tail maybe it grew a c hair. Lol I know all the wardens in the area I work on their boats and I work on sebago. Wardens said they would of flipped out on the lady too

Offline tundra redneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 08, 2015, 11:43 AM »
I was out there yesterday and theres no parking near the island, and kept breaking through to a foot of slush, it only look like 4 of good ice, add another foot and temps with 0 im not sure if im going, it depends if any wind.but, its going to be a slush bowl out there

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Feb 09, 2015, 07:45 AM »
Thanks again for all the info.  Hoping the weather forecast improves for the weekend, seems par for the course this winter as it is.  Good luck to those of you entering the derby.  I am not planning on entering, but I will be out on snowshoes trudging around.

Offline Sebago Bait

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 09, 2015, 07:58 AM »
Parking lot at Raymond Beach has been plowed per Derby officials
http://www.sebagobait.com/
483 Roosevelt Trail
Windham, ME  04062
207-894-7141
207-894-7143 (fax)

Hours:
Mon-Thurs 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Fri 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
Weekends starting at 5:00 am during ice fishing season (Jan 1, 2019)

THE HOME OF FREE AUGER BLADE SHARPENING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.