The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Fishing Sebago Feb 14 & 15  (Read 2817 times)

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
Fishing Sebago Feb 14 & 15
« on: Feb 05, 2015, 07:45 AM »
Making the trip over next weekend, and staying/fishing with a friend in Windham.  Going to try for some crappie and togue.  Cant fish my usual togue spots on Champlain, no safe ice as of yet.  I've been doing some home work and was looking at parking at the Raymond boat launch and fishing Jordan Bay.  Am I correct in saying that Jordan Bay to Lower Bay is fishable, but not the broad lake NNW of Frye Island?  I would be hoofing it around, so I probably wouldn't be fishing past Frye Island anyways.

Offline icewoman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fishing Sebago Feb 14 & 15
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2015, 07:58 AM »
Considering that the Lake isn't completely frozen/safe.....And the Derby is that weekend.  I'm sure you'll have plenty of people out there!
QUIT WISHIN AND LETS GO FISHIN !!!

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2015, 08:23 AM »
You are correct about the conditions as they stand now.  There are still plenty of weak spots hidden by all the snow we've had, so go carefully even where it looks safe.  If you're going to be on foot, bring snowshoes or cross country skis and a smitty sled for your gear, or you will have a tough time getting anywhere with all the snow on the ice. 

Lots of cold in the 10 day forecast, so big bay could be frozen by the time you get here, but if so it won't have been for long and likely still far from safe.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2015, 09:34 AM »
Considering that the Lake isn't completely frozen/safe.....And the Derby is that weekend.  I'm sure you'll have plenty of people out there!

Yeah, usually I try to avoid derbies.  I've looked into other water bodies in the area, but I am really wanting to get into some Sebago slabbers, and maybe a Togue or two. 

I will make sure to bring the snow shoes, and keep my one map flip light.

Thanks for the help.

Offline MadFisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Wish this was work....
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2015, 10:59 AM »
I thought the derby was held on the weekend of the 21 and 22.

Offline tundra redneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2015, 11:05 AM »
lol you thought wrong

Offline xphelanx

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where did you put my beer?
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2015, 11:06 AM »
http://www.icefishingderby.com/sebago-derby/
I've got the itch... No, not that one. It's the good kind.
It's pronounced "fay-len" (the x's are silent)

Offline Smelt Head 47

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2015, 11:07 AM »
Derby is the 14-15 for sebago. As of right now Raymond beach hasn't been plowed. Can't even get into the parking lot.

Offline BrownTroutBoy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2015, 11:21 AM »
2 weeks ago I counted 62 shacks on lower bay alone, it was busy.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2015, 12:04 PM »
http://www.icefishingderby.com/sebago-derby/

I see they have prizes for pike, but Sebago doesn't have a real fishable population of pike is that correct? 
I get plenty of that action here on Champlain, but still curious.

Offline codyp33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2015, 12:30 PM »
You can get into some good pilke if your in the right spot

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2015, 12:32 PM »
Not a ton of pike in Sebago, and never likely to be due to lack of spawning marsh area for them, but there certainly are some.  I got a 13 lb a couple of years ago, and I'm sure larger ones have been caught. 

From what I've read, deep clear lakes with minimal spawning habitat like sebago tend to produce few but large pike. I'm sure there are some monsters in there.  Wouldn't surprise me of someone catches a 30 lb fish out of there eventually while fishing for something else.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2015, 12:54 PM »
From what I've read, deep clear lakes with minimal spawning habitat like sebago tend to produce few but large pike. I'm sure there are some monsters in there.  Wouldn't surprise me of someone catches a 30 lb fish out of there eventually while fishing for something else.

I would agree with both statements.

I may have to have a couple pike rigs with me.  I was going to hit up Sebago bait before heading out. Generally smelt is good option for pike/trout, not a big fan of suckers.  Never had much luck with them, but you can turn them into swiss cheese and they keep kick'n. Are jumbo golden shiners (over 6in) available at the bait shops in Maine? 
Our bait in VT is pathetic, unless you go to a Champlain only dealer. 

Offline tundra redneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2015, 02:33 PM »
Is any of the snow packed down on the lake, I want to go Saturday, i don't mind walking but I got my old tundra if I need it, I don't care either end

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2015, 03:39 PM »
There is one reason why I don't fish Sebago any more.Fish Lengths:  No Togue will be accepted for Derby entry between 23 inches and 33 inches.

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2015, 06:11 PM »
I would bring the Tundra.  There should be plenty of parking at Jordan Beach.  Lot of room to fish in just Jordan Bay.  Plenty of better places to fish on Sebago but I've caught nice lakers in the bay.  Free fishing days during the derby, Maine license not required, just letting you know.  Good to see you come up, good luck!  I'll be out there!
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2015, 07:06 PM »
I would bring the Tundra.  There should be plenty of parking at Jordan Beach.  Lot of room to fish in just Jordan Bay.  Plenty of better places to fish on Sebago but I've caught nice lakers in the bay.  Free fishing days during the derby, Maine license not required, just letting you know.  Good to see you come up, good luck!  I'll be out there!

You mean Raymond Beach.  Someone seeing Jordan may venture over to the Rt 114 side.  Although it was buttoned up on that side this morning, I am guessing this wind tonight and tomorrow will break it up.

Offline gradysjeep

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2015, 07:31 PM »
There is one reason why I don't fish Sebago any more.Fish Lengths:  No Togue will be accepted for Derby entry between 23 inches and 33 inches.

Whats the problem that is the law on Sebago.  Can't change it just for the derby.   Under 23" are the best to eat anyway and if you catch a real big one over 33" you can keep one.  I don't mind the slot allows those 5-10 lb fish to grow into real biggins.

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2015, 07:41 PM »
I did mean Raymond Beach, thanks for the correction!
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2015, 08:17 PM »
The few times I get a few kids out on Sebago I don't want to tell a kid he's too big have to throw him back 23"to33" I'll take them jigging Perch.  Catch a prime fish for eating Smoking and throw him back .  Screwed up law!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2015, 08:36 PM »
In a few years you can take those kids and catch 33+ inchers because they didn't head to the smoker at 27 inches .  patience grasshopper

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2015, 05:10 AM »
In a few years you can take those kids and catch 33+ inchers because they didn't head to the smoker at 27 inches .  patience grasshopper

Agreed.  But yet, everything done down on Sebago is being done under the guise of "salmon management."   ::)

Offline sebagosalmo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2015, 07:52 AM »
Agreed.  But yet, everything done down on Sebago is being done under the guise of "salmon management."   ::)

The Laker fishing is pretty amazing on Sebago  ;D

As for the Salmon the catch rates are way up in the last 2 years . The average size quality is up as well from the State reports Salmon are averaging 18-24 inches and weights are in the correct ratios with length average fish. The weights are 2 lbs - 4 lbs with some 5- 7 lb fish being caught as well !

The lake seems to be healthy !

The unknown is the elwive population and the effects it will have on the smelts and Salmon in the near future  ???

Time will tell 

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 06, 2015, 07:54 AM »

Somebody above just said above that the parking lot hasn't been plowed .

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 06, 2015, 07:59 AM »
How many Fish has Your son caught over 23"   He'll be Married and gone before that happens.

Offline BrownTroutBoy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 06, 2015, 09:49 AM »
How many Fish has Your son caught over 23"   He'll be Married and gone before that happens.
The slot limit is the best thing to happen! starting to see more fish at the north end of the slot already, 5 more years and that place will be a monster laker factory. I don't understand why people have such a hard time letting average sized fish go?

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 06, 2015, 09:54 AM »
, 5 more years and that place will be a monster laker factory.

I'll be down.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline cchase

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 06, 2015, 10:28 AM »
There is no problem with a slot. It works in many situations with a variety of species and on many bodies of water. Its light years ahead of them electro fishing or netting fish out of a body of water IMO. The kids argument is a little played out. I think its ridiculous to think the only way to get a kid interested in something is to kill everything. Like it or not conservation is the key to the future if we had thought this way 30 years ago we would not be having this conversation today. Teaching kids that its about the experience and that as a sportsmen its their responsibility to make sacrifices to ensure a better future needs to be the attitude. Yes it is ultimately about the salmon and smelts however the slot allows to cull smaller fish and still ensure that it produces trophy's.   

Offline ice cracker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 06, 2015, 10:33 AM »
The few times I get a few kids out on Sebago I don't want to tell a kid he's too big have to throw him back 23"to33" I'll take them jigging Perch.  Catch a prime fish for eating Smoking and throw him back .  Screwed up law!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to the biologists it's best for the lake.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 06, 2015, 10:45 AM »
THE BIOLOGISTS ARE THE PEOPLE WHO PUT TOGUE IN THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE ?
YOU MIGHT NOT WANT TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING THEY SAY.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.