Author Topic: cascade ice conditions  (Read 4309 times)

Offline the chief

• Team IceShanty Regular
cascade ice conditions
« on: Feb 03, 2015, 10:42 AM »
any word on how the ice is holding up looking to head up this week end  any info  ???
Team Spudsickel 2012 1st place rainbow 2016 2nd place perch

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: cascade ice conditions
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2015, 10:44 AM »
Check the reports and conditions page. Looks like there is information from the past day or two posted there for the Cascade area.

Offline bowhunter68

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2015, 12:02 PM »
Chief...97SX was up there this morning said 1/2" water on the ice and measured about 8" of ice. Edges were still ok but id bet by friday gonna be walk on only?? Man what a crazy year on the ice !!
BOWHUNTER68

Offline StrikeMojo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2015, 01:09 PM »
We need an arctic vortex in the worst way./  Just a week of sub zero temps and I will be happy...
Tight Lines,

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2015, 01:21 PM »
+1 for an arctic storm. :tipup:

Offline FshnAzn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2015, 05:48 PM »
Like 97sx, was up yesterday and today.   The holes I punched last night only froze less than 1/8" when I went by them this morning.   It was a warm night.  If the weather is as consistent for rain as it says for the remainder of this week,  it's gonna be galoshes conditions this weekend.

Offline the chief

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2015, 08:26 PM »
the weather dose not very good for ice in the high 30 to low 40 and just  barely freezing at night this for the next 8 days or so not sure how the edges are going to hold up 

Offline idahopanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2015, 09:08 PM »
Would you think it would be doable with a plank or ladder? I am going to be this weekend and am so hoping to be able to fish, need to feel a perch on the end of my line.
Michael
Keep looking to the East
He will be coming in the clouds.

Offline 97sx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2015, 02:05 AM »
I think you will be ok this weekend idahopanfish.  I plan to go out again Friday if things go according to plan.  I can update you.  It's really supposed to rain hard Thurs, Fri, and Sat so conditions may change literally by the hour.

Offline idahopanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2015, 07:29 AM »
We are leaving Twin Falls early Friday morning, could I call you when we get up there? If you would pm me your phone #.
Michael
Keep looking to the East
He will be coming in the clouds.

Offline 97sx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2015, 09:52 AM »
You bet.  PM sent.

Offline the chief

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2015, 11:01 AM »
looking to be at sugarloaf Friday also see you there

Offline fishandchips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2015, 11:09 AM »
51 this morning at 8am here in Cascade.  Shore fishing should be fun soon.  ;)

Offline the chief

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2015, 03:24 PM »
will try to make up sunday if the ice holds

Offline Bigfish33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2015, 06:19 PM »
Has anyone attempted to get on the ice the last 2 days? Starting to sound like my first trip up there a couple weeks ago was my last trip.

Offline 97sx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2015, 08:00 PM »
I can give you a report for the sugarloaf ramp area.  This morning when I left there was ice up to the ramp and I stepped on without problems.  When I came off the ice this evening there was a patch of water in front of the ramp with about 2' of open water that went nearly the length of the ramp.  Still lots of access points to get on the ice just down the shoreline.

Once on the ice there was 7-8" of really nice ice.  No water on the ice...as it did not rain today.  It was still very slick.  It was in the 50's and high winds from the south all day.  If you left something on the ice very long it would melt into the ice.  An 8" hole would turn into a 10" hole in a couple hours.

Some of the pressure cracks had open water right through the middle.

Just be a little careful out there.  There is still good ice on the main lake.  This season will come down to how the edges hold up.  They eroded fast today, but it was expectionally warm and windy.

Offline fishandchips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2015, 08:56 PM »
Same with the south side.  50's all day today and rain the next few days.  The edges were open up to 3' in some areas.  The cracks were a mess and had opened up to where I wouldn't go near them.  There is still good ice in spots but it's going fast. 

Last year I waded and floated out to the ice when the edges opened up and fished for a week or so that way.  I don't think that will happen this year.

Offline Bigfish33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2015, 11:12 PM »
Thank you for the reports guys. Want to put my new equipment to use... Just don't want to get up there and find that it's too spooky.

Offline fishandchips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2015, 08:19 AM »
Well....I'd say if you haven't left home yet...stay home.  It rained and the wind has been blowing strong all night.  It will be interesting to see what all of this has done to the lake.  I'll drive up there in a bit and see once it gets light out.  But even if the ice is ok, it would be miserable fishing conditions! 

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2015, 08:23 AM »
Thanks F&C. The Little Salmon is roaring this morning. >:(

Offline fishandchips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2015, 10:03 AM »
The wind did some damage.  There is a lot of open water on the south side (didn't check up north).  The cracks have opened up and there is open water from the east to the west up to 50 yards wide.  You could literally fish from shore in some spots.  With the amount of cracks and ridges, it won't take too many more days of wind and rain to really open the lake up. 

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2015, 10:07 AM »
Thanks for the bad news. I waas hoping too get out more this month. Rats.

Offline IDAHOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2015, 01:00 PM »
I'm ashamed to admit but I have yet to make it up this season for any ice-fishing, I have been monitoring these posts off and on in the hopes the ice conditions would get better, seems like a real wierd winter this year all over the state and the latest posts don't sound encouraging.  Feels like Spring today here in the valley, wondering if I will even get the auger out this year now  :'(

I will keep monitoring the posts, normally Feb is still a good ice month up at Cascade...oh well.  I guess I need to start getting the boat and open water gear ready instead...
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.  ~Doug Larson

Offline turdfurgeson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2015, 04:07 PM »
Ditto on that Idaho. :'(

Offline FishingSpud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2015, 10:13 PM »
I'm ashamed to admit but I have yet to make it up this season for any ice-fishing, I have been monitoring these posts off and on in the hopes the ice conditions would get better, seems like a real wierd winter this year all over the state and the latest posts don't sound encouraging.  Feels like Spring today here in the valley, wondering if I will even get the auger out this year now  :'(

I will keep monitoring the posts, normally Feb is still a good ice month up at Cascade...oh well.  I guess I need to start getting the boat and open water gear ready instead...

Same here. Guess I'll put the ice gear back to bed until next winter...what an absolute bummer.  :(

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 08, 2015, 02:27 PM »
Went up yesterday. The south wind piled the ice up on the sugarloaf boat ramp. Had to cross 4 pressure cracks to get out to sugar loaf. Might have been my last trip...

Offline OldSchoolHooker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 08, 2015, 03:09 PM »
Sittin out on my porch at vista point in a t-shirt watching the ice break up.  Lots of 20-30ft wide gaps.  Walked down to the lake yesterday and the ice was broken up 50ft off the shore.  No safe way to get on.  Sad day.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 08, 2015, 08:38 PM »
Yes it is sad, if we all stick together we can get through this horrible weather. We must all put all of our ice fishing stuff away and then the arctic blast will come back and give us the deep freeze. We must think green grass and getting sun tans. We can do this. WE WILL BE ICE FISHING IN APRIL!  :flex: :flex: :flex:

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2015, 08:55 PM »
I'm all for that.    I'll even use that stuff that tans in the dark, ha.     :thumbsup:    :flex:

Offline TightLine21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 08, 2015, 10:16 PM »
I pulled out my lawnmower today  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.