Author Topic: Nils Hand Auger amazing but a dangerous mistress  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Smokenmirrors1

• IceShanty Rookie
Nils Hand Auger amazing but a dangerous mistress
« on: Feb 01, 2015, 03:27 PM »
 Took the 8 inch out on Danforth Bay today. Spilled a bit of blood due to the junk blade cover provided. Cuts through the ice unbelievably...Cuts flesh real good too.

Shame on Nils for providing such a crappy cover with such a nice auger. I am glad I was being careful... Barely brushed that blade and cut deep to my thumb bone....

Kept fishing. Couple good hits but ...nada...

Put out ab SOS to Sebago bait as I read they have a snap cover for this auger....

More to come. Hope all had a great weekend..

Regards/ Smoke
In glacie oportet verum

Offline nhbooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Nils Hand Auger amazing but a dangerous mistress
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2015, 03:39 PM »
Check out Cold Snap Covers.  I got one for my nils and love it.  Very easy to use.  You can do a search for them online.  I ordered the strikemaster one for 8 inch as it is the same mold for the nils. 

Offline Uri The Fury

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2015, 03:41 PM »
Check out Cold Snap Covers.  I got one for my nils and love it.  Very easy to use.  You can do a search for them online.  I ordered the strikemaster one for 8 inch as it is the same mold for the nils.
+1

Offline PAluke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2015, 03:45 PM »
The strike master covers work on the nils too.  Just have to make a small cut on the plastic inside the cover.  Do a search on here.

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2015, 03:47 PM »
Yep had the same problem with the junk cover Nils provides with their auger........and as has been stated another vote for the 8" cold snap cover works like a champ as I just got one too. Great so far...You would think that with a top of the line auger like the Nils is that their engineering dept would try the cover before they sell them. A 6 year kid could have devised a better one than that.    ::)

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2015, 09:52 PM »
Took the 8 inch out on Danforth Bay today. Spilled a bit of blood due to the junk blade cover provided. Cuts through the ice unbelievably...Cuts flesh real good too.

Shame on Nils for providing such a crappy cover with such a nice auger. I am glad I was being careful... Barely brushed that blade and cut deep to my thumb bone....

Kept fishing. Couple good hits but ...nada...

Put out ab SOS to Sebago bait as I read they have a snap cover for this auger....

More to come. Hope all had a great weekend..

Regards/ Smoke
I would definitely agree Smoke! You are no where near alone in the lacerated by a Nils club.  :%$#!:
I bought the Strikemaster cover along with my 8" Nils because of reports I had read.
While being extremely cautious taking off the original cover to throw it away, I had a very minor paper cut kinda deal.
FWIW, the Strikemaster cover has worked fine for me with no alterations.

You would think knowing that 2 companies are making better covers that fit their augers they would build one themselves. :(

Offline Roughtimes1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2015, 10:03 AM »
I just recently bought a nils 8"  And yep I myself have seen damage done with it.  I am looking into purchasing a new cover for mine now as well.  The other day on the ice we had put the auger in the sled and after we had shortly notcied the auger was damaged from drilling down the side of the rock with no hesitation.  we also noticed a new vent in the pop up  :o Either my buddy or I both unknowingly must have just grazed the pop up taking it out of the sled and put a good laceration in the pop up.  So now needing a new auger head or sharpening at the very least we also need a patch kit...  They will bite!
"A Bad day of fishing beats a good day of anything else"

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2015, 10:24 AM »
I just recently bought a nils 8"  And yep I myself have seen damage done with it.  I am looking into purchasing a new cover for mine now as well.  The other day on the ice we had put the auger in the sled and after we had shortly notcied the auger was damaged from drilling down the side of the rock with no hesitation.  we also noticed a new vent in the pop up  :o Either my buddy or I both unknowingly must have just grazed the pop up taking it out of the sled and put a good laceration in the pop up.  So now needing a new auger head or sharpening at the very least we also need a patch kit...  They will bite!
Your buddy (CW) let me try the 8" Nils last year RT.
That sold me!
They are sharp. Don't think any augers are rock or sand friendly but the Nils are so precision.
Sorry to hear about the pop up. It's definitely a nice one.
Hey, get in touch with me....

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2015, 03:22 PM »
Good info on the snap covers. I'm going to look into one....

I have a 4.5" and an 8" Nils and both covers are less than perfect. The smaller Nils one is ok but....snap cover doesn't make one that small.

The 8" cover that came with the Nils completely blows.

Thanks.

Offline nhbooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2015, 03:53 PM »
Dan from cold snap was awesome to deal with and was very quick to get my order out right away.  There was a problem with my card when I ordered online and he shipped it anyways and called me AFTER he shipped it so that I would not have to wait longer for it.  That's awesome customer service in my book! 

Give him a shout!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2015, 09:41 PM »
Dan from cold snap was awesome to deal with and was very quick to get my order out right away.  There was a problem with my card when I ordered online and he shipped it anyways and called me AFTER he shipped it so that I would not have to wait longer for it.  That's awesome customer service in my book! 

Give him a shout!

That's real class right there.  :thumbsup:

Offline kivva king

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2015, 01:55 PM »
Just an FYI on the snap cover. I bought mine last year for my 8" nils and everything was fine for the 1st year but this year I noticed the "plastic hinge" that the wire goes through to make it open and close was starting to split!
My remedy was to buy a plated piano hinge at Home Depot, cut it to size, and mount it on the bottom of the cover with stainless steel nuts and bolts!! Back in action!!!!  Just wondering now,how long the stretch band will last??
Bought it at Sebago bait and the gentleman there could not have been nicer!
This is not a complaint of any sort as we all know things happen in extremely cold conditions. It is more of a relatively inexpensive idea,(10 Bucks tops) to get you back in action and save the bloodshed!!!   Kk

Offline Smokenmirrors1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2015, 07:54 PM »
Ordered up the cold snap cover direct from cold snap. There will be no more blood spilled hopefully. Thanks for all the help guys. This is a great community.

Regards/ Smoke
In glacie oportet verum

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.