New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Ice cleats  (Read 3465 times)

Offline merkleyb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Guess where I am?
Re: Ice cleats
« Reply #30 on: Feb 03, 2015, 01:07 AM »
unless you screw it to the bottom of your boots, they'll come undone at least once. I've tried several different type of cleats and have had to stop and adjust or pick them up. I've also found about a half dozen cleats on the ice. Only one though, never a matching pair...good luck
Anyone can be a fisherman in May...E.H.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #31 on: Feb 03, 2015, 04:26 AM »
Micro spikes here , first they are not made of rubber and don't slip off , only heard of two pair in 8 years that had a problem and they replaced them , and I don't need to designate a pair of boots just to ice fishing , and I can take them off and walk into a store , and put them on easly my pair are now working on 4 years and a bud has had a pair for over 8 or 9 years , I also have korkers and they stay on my waders for salmon and steelhead fishing , they are heavy and take time to put on and take off , I have over 40 years gone through a lot of cleats these without a doubt are the lightest , most comfortable I have worn , but like all things , that's why there are choices , so everyone can have what they feel is best for them

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 03, 2015, 06:20 AM »
Anybody seen the new Yaktrax XTR's yet?  Saw them in Fish307 the other day. They appear to be similar in design to the Microspikes.

https://www.yaktrax.com/product/xtr
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 03, 2015, 11:22 AM »
agree with ice racing picks - hardened - bullet proof - simple to install.   I have 12 in each of my Sorel's
Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #34 on: Feb 03, 2015, 11:56 AM »
Anybody seen the new Yaktrax XTR's yet?  Saw them in Fish307 the other day. They appear to be similar in design to the Microspikes.

I have a few seasons on them.....and they work excellent.

Offline afwrestler1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 03, 2015, 12:09 PM »
I've been using the original yaktrax. I like them pretty well, I can run in them, and I don't have to worry about spikes ruining everything I step on.
[Img]http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png[img]

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Feb 03, 2015, 12:31 PM »
Don't buy yak tracks. bought a pair this season and they suck. Glad it was a gift card deal.

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 03, 2015, 09:31 PM »
Amazingly I bought a pair of kahtoolas and the first time I went to put them on my boots one of the chains on the arch side ripped right out of the rubber.  I was able to rig them with a ziptie for the following days trip and didnt end up needing them.  Must have been a faulty pair and I'm confident I can return them with ease, but man what a bummer.
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 04, 2015, 08:06 AM »
I just got a pair of Stabilicers lite ice cleats from the Sportsman's guide ...................... ..only $17.99 !! They run a tad small though I wish I had ordered extra large to fit over my Lacrosse alpha burley size 11's ! !!
ice fishing rules

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #39 on: Feb 04, 2015, 08:13 AM »
Don't buy yak tracks. bought a pair this season and they suck. Glad it was a gift card deal.
.              Had 2 pair, first pr spring come apart, lifetime guarantee took back and they replaced them, same thing happened, got $ back, bought hillsound trail cramptons, you can run a pass route with these things!!

Offline lake simon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • look familiar
« Reply #40 on: Feb 04, 2015, 08:21 AM »
Work just gave me yactrax ice Trekkers Diamond Grip. These are not the Yaktrax you are all familiar with. These are a whole different animal. Check them out. They work great.

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 04, 2015, 08:24 AM »
Work just gave me yactrax ice Trekkers Diamond Grip. These are not the Yaktrax you are all familiar with. These are a whole different animal. Check them out. They work great.
Yes , they look much better than the original ...................... I had the same problem with the springs breaking !! Didn't realize they had a lifetime guarantee  >:(
ice fishing rules

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
« Reply #42 on: Feb 04, 2015, 10:04 AM »

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Feb 04, 2015, 04:31 PM »
with 2 to 3 foot of snow on all the lakes  you don't need cleats

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 04, 2015, 05:31 PM »
with 2 to 3 foot of snow on all the lakes  you don't need cleats
I wear cleats everyday.  Why not?  I mean I clear the snow for my shanty, the wind blown bare ice spots that will only grow as water seeps up and slush freezes.  You go ahead and walk around them, I'm going straight.
Love my new microspikes

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Feb 04, 2015, 06:24 PM »
End this thread. Microspikes hands down. I've done my research. I then bought them. Used them. Wouldn't change a thing. Perfect spike. Just spend the extra bucks. Worth it

Offline lake simon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • look familiar
« Reply #46 on: Feb 04, 2015, 06:40 PM »
There are no springs on the ice Trekkers 

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Feb 04, 2015, 07:51 PM »
I wear cleats everyday.  Why not?  I mean I clear the snow for my shanty, the wind blown bare ice spots that will only grow as water seeps up and slush freezes.  You go ahead and walk around them, I'm going straight.
Love my new microspikes

never  wear something  you  don't need  ya  walk threw  2  foot of snow and  if it goes on it can come off!  ya lost it .....that just makes sence to me ....  now  I might be  wearing  snow  shoes  tomorrow   to  get threw   2  foot  but I won't  be  wearing   cleats   .....

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 05, 2015, 01:34 PM »
Arctic Spurs / Ice Chizels

Offline Cheeks13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Feb 05, 2015, 02:36 PM »

I have these. They are awesome. Haven't seen the micro spikes but Im happy with XTR's @)

Liberty or death-what we so proudly hail-once you provoke her-rattling of her tail-never begins it-never but once engaged-never surrender-showing the fangs of rage!

Offline Cheeks13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Feb 05, 2015, 02:39 PM »
Ok, I just Googled them... basically the same thing for about the same price... to each his own on this. I know I get good traction with XTR's turning my Nils!!! ;D @)

Liberty or death-what we so proudly hail-once you provoke her-rattling of her tail-never begins it-never but once engaged-never surrender-showing the fangs of rage!

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Feb 05, 2015, 04:27 PM »
What does everyone use for ice cleats?  The pair that I have do  not have any cleats on the heel.Time for me to get a new pair.
These are some cleats I have used for ice fishing over the years , and for treacherous ice conditions in my driveway. Different styles and cleats/ studs for different boots and ice conditions....and how much walking I planned on doing that day. and Like Trapper, I also have a 20 + year old pair of the old style shoe lace  korkers that still work good .... real workhorses, but heavy.
Just got a pair of Mickey Mouse boots, so Apps hooked me up with the HT's,(second from right on top) with added springs in heel area....only 15 bucks and he said they work great for the Mickeys...so far so good.

I was in the Agway in Honesdale the other day and got to see the Kahtoolas ....sweet!  Bigger cleat than I expected , but best looking ice cleat I've seen....I will have a pair of those next ice season.

Sorry about the picture size...been messing around trying to change my avatar...now all my pictures are tiny avatar size.  :wacko:
And Istill have no Avatar change... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
I finally got this picture sized correctly last night, but cannot get my own Avatar to work...Computers and I do not mix...very frustrating.

My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #52 on: Feb 05, 2015, 05:07 PM »
nice to see  them all lined up like  that  choo choo

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 05, 2015, 05:50 PM »
Choo choo you won't regret the purchase.  While they appear aggressive they're actually very comfortable.

Prior to the micros my favorite were the stabilicers. However they'd ice up with slush and you'd have to sometimes scuff your foot to clear the cleat.  Guess besides the grip my second favorite thing is the micros won't hold slush & freeze, they clear themselves.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #54 on: Feb 05, 2015, 06:12 PM »
Stabilicers are great, but Korkers are better if you do any rock hopping
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Feb 05, 2015, 06:15 PM »
I saw a nice set of korkers at a big box store but the XL size looked too small for my size 13 ice boots.  I would make sure they weren't before purchasing.

Offline komo15

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 05, 2015, 06:18 PM »
NEOS overshoes!  By far, best choice on the market.  Look them up!  They are an overshoe that Velcro up the middle and have a strap buckle that crosses the width of your foot for a nice snug fit.  They are also waterproof!  When you drill those holes with a power auger, the water usually splashes all over my feet on the retrieval.  These help to keep my feet warm by providing one more layer.  Last but not least, they have maybe 5/16 bolts(replaceable) that screw into the hard but flexible solid bottom preventing any slippage on the ice or uneven surfaces!

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Feb 05, 2015, 06:41 PM »
Choo choo you won't regret the purchase.  While they appear aggressive they're actually very comfortable.

Prior to the micros my favorite were the stabilicers. However they'd ice up with slush and you'd have to sometimes scuff your foot to clear the cleat.  Guess besides the grip my second favorite thing is the micros won't hold slush & freeze, they clear themselves.
The quality looked great at the store. But hearing about their performance from experienced ice fisherman like yourself and so many others , has sealed the deal for me.... and really liked hearing that they clear themselves of slush and build-up too.... that's a bonus feature...thanks.

And thanks Trapper.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline gasjetruss04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:16 AM »
Broke down and got Korkers, i wouldnt waste my time on anything else. Little pricey, but they come with 2 sets of soles that make great wading boots with tje rubber and steel spikes. And you can buy the aggressive ice cleats. There rated to 60 below and warm as heck. I leave my arctic mucks in the closet, and all the cleats i wasted $$ on over the years. Pay me now or pay me later, best investment for footwear i have ever spent.
°•°○Russ°•°○•

Offline hardwatercrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:32 AM »
Hey choo choo can you show me how you added the springs to the ht's?  I prefer them they  go on and come off easy and don't ice up but it would be nice to have a little traction in back.
Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.