New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Ice cleats  (Read 3462 times)

Offline chuckrudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice cleats
« on: Jan 30, 2015, 11:56 AM »
What does everyone use for ice cleats?  The pair that I have do  not have any cleats on the heel.Time for me to get a new pair.

Offline tjsomerv

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice cleats
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2015, 11:57 AM »
Kahoolta microspikes. Don't even bother with any other types

Offline Zachery80

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:01 PM »
Sheet metal screws.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:02 PM »

X2

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:08 PM »
Stabilicers

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:39 PM »
 I'm a huge fan of the Neos overshoes with the screwed in Stabilicers.

The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline cooper2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:45 PM »
Microspikes- bought a pair this year. They are the BEST!!

Offline perch-hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2015, 01:12 PM »
I have the Kahtoola microspikes, great product.
I wear a size 11 Muck arctic sport boot, bought a size large in the spikes,
should have got the XL, the large starts to bend the boot right behind the toes.
A little uncomfortable, but not too bad.

Offline Fishing_Machine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2015, 01:22 PM »
Self tapping hex head sheet metal screw in each raised lug.  Have about 20 in each boot.  I put them in with a cordless drill, take them out the same way when hunting season comes around.
Just can't wear them into the house as they are really tough on the wood floor.  They also make a hell of a racket when you go into a store.

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2015, 01:52 PM »
Hands down -- Microspikes -- great traction, comfortable enough to wear all day and they never slip off -- $55 or so, but well worth the money -- no need to look any further...!!

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2015, 01:59 PM »
I have the Kahtoola microspikes, great product.
I wear a size 11 Muck arctic sport boot, bought a size large in the spikes,
should have got the XL, the large starts to bend the boot right behind the toes.
A little uncomfortable, but not too bad.

i have the same setup. except i got the XL for the size 11 mucks. they work awesome. best purchase ever made

Offline SoftSpot_716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2015, 02:04 PM »
Diamond Ice Trekkers is what I am currently using for the second season in a row. They fit my size 13 Baffin pack boots no problem and haven't fallen off yet so no complaints. I am sure if they ever do break or become an issue I will be checking out the micro spikes

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2015, 02:06 PM »

X2
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2015, 03:02 PM »
I have the microspikes XL and I wear a size 12 Muck Arctic Pro.  It fits very nicely.  It's a tight fit with a just enough give to put them on and take them off.

Offline coldfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2015, 03:53 PM »
Kahtoola micro spikes are great.

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2015, 04:29 PM »
I have size 14 Baffins and Mickey Mouse boots - tough to find anything that fits.  Made my own from a piece of aluminum sheet metal and 6 ss screws.  So far they are working great! Lightweight, great traction and haven't fallen off

Offline iceFINaddict

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2015, 05:58 PM »
Korkers are a very good carbide studded sole.  They are expensive, but like all our gear should be "top notch" in my opinion anyhow.  I have had mine for 30+ years and replaced the cleats once. They cover the whole foot there sore your not bearing down on certain pressure points of the foot which makes them far more comfortable (in my opinion).  I still use them to this day and I am not a sales rep for the Korker Co! LOL Good luck with your decision.  Oh, I also wear them year round on the rocks surf casting~!
~The good thing with ice fishing is there never can be a bad weather day while you're doing it~ Mark 2010~

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2015, 06:09 PM »
Korkers are a very good carbide studded sole.  They are expensive, but like all our gear should be "top notch" in my opinion anyhow.  I have had mine for 30+ years and replaced the cleats once. They cover the whole foot there sore your not bearing down on certain pressure points of the foot which makes them far more comfortable (in my opinion).  I still use them to this day and I am not a sales rep for the Korker Co! LOL Good luck with your decision.  Oh, I also wear them year round on the rocks surf casting~!

I don't  know about the  newer  ones  everyone is talking about  but  I have korkers and their  about  30 years old as well  I  use  them on rocks and  ice  ,never had a problem .....

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2015, 06:11 PM »
Can't beat micro spikes

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2015, 06:22 PM »
Can't beat micro spikes
can you  use  them  stream  fishing  as  well? for  the  price  your  paying a  few  bucks  more  and  you  have  something  you can  use  year  round

Offline bonotch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2015, 06:30 PM »
I've used sheet metal screws for over 20 years, but I also have boots I only use for ice fishing. Before that I always had problems with cleats. Rubber breaking, balling up.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2015, 06:55 PM »
They may be used for that but its not recommended. They're specifically for gaining traction on ice and snow. :-\

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2015, 07:23 PM »
I USE YACKTRAX

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2015, 07:24 PM »
They may be used for that but its not recommended. They're specifically for gaining traction on ice and snow. :-\

I  guess  ,in my  way of  thinking  the  korkers  are a  smarter   way  to  go , I  can  use  them  both  wading  and  on the  ice  and   I  think they are  only  20 bucks  more

Offline Miller52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2015, 10:19 PM »
ice racing studs for 4 wheeler and dirt bike tires. dont know how long but not long enough to go through the sole of the boot and they dont bother your feet. just screwed into the raised treads and i put however many in the bottom of my boot. glare ice you can run for a tip up as fast as you can and stop on a dime because they are sharp and made for traction on the ice. better then ice cleats in mine and my dad's opinion because they wont ever wear out just walking on ice and you can remove them in just a few minutes with a screw gun and put them back just as quick. sometimes you lose a couple through out the day but are easily replaced with new screws.

Offline richanddeesherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2015, 12:15 AM »
Were is a good place to get some ice cleats

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2015, 04:45 AM »
miller52 nice suggestion right there

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2015, 04:50 AM »
I have a pair of HT's sandals and like them a lot because they have studs all around the edge so you're standing flat, they fit every boot I've tried them on, and the studs are replaceable.  They run around $30 and lots of places have them.

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 31, 2015, 12:02 PM »
Yak tracks

Offline Rob W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 02, 2015, 05:54 PM »
I use Hi Techs, seem to be indestructible.  Main thing I like is they never come off the boots unless I want them to.  Buddy has a $30 pair of some name brand with small coil springs crisscrossing (don't recall name) that barely come over the toe of his boots, from gander, and lost one walking off the SBH Sunday.  I prefer that they don't have cleats on the heels, gives better traction on hard, non-ice surfaces like stone or linoleum.  that way I never have to take them off

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.