New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Automatic Fisherman  (Read 4785 times)

Offline sfirkbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • who needs a 7ft pole? we have 2ftrs!!!
Automatic Fisherman
« on: Jan 28, 2015, 06:35 PM »
Hey guys was wondering if anyone on here as given it a try? If you haven't I highly suggest it. They will replace all of your tip ups/tip downs. I just picked a few up and man I have to say they are incredible. They take away that lost fish feeling because they set the hook themselves. They are super easy to set up as well. They also don't freeze like the jaw jacker. Every package comes with a rod, reel and everything else you need to get started. They also have a completely ice off supplement that comes with every package. Nothing better than a lifetime warranty either. Any questions you have feel free to ask. You can pick them up online at automaticfisherman.com

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Automatic Fisherman
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2015, 06:41 PM »
They are nice on days it's not windy and holes don't freeze to fast.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2015, 06:54 PM »
are they considered a tip up or a rod and reel? you said the pros but what are the cons to them. such as wind and cold temperatures.

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:00 PM »
the combo does not come with it all the time cabelas has the unit bit combo is sold seperatly

Offline sfirkbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:11 PM »
To cope with the wind there are a few simple things you can do. For instance, a thin piece of plastic can be used as a barrier that is attached to the base of the actual unit. Or a simpler way is just lower the float on the rod so its covered by the base of the unit. And for the cons, I personally haven't found anything. If you do feel free to contact the owner he is a great guy and will accept any criticism. They had the first unit made about 14 years ago and have been perfecting it since. As far as the combo goes if you purchase off the website you'll get everything. Cabelas and other stores like to sell separately to make more money.

Offline sfirkbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:13 PM »
and they are their own kind of animal kinda both at the same time

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:56 PM »
are they considered a tip up or a rod and reel? you said the pros but what are the cons to them. such as wind and cold temperatures.
Yes they are a tipup. It has a signalling device.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2015, 08:29 PM »
what are they?

you want to set the hook automaticly  either use a circle hook or use a rat trap on it

Offline sfirkbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2015, 09:38 PM »
There is no signal device on them at all actually. The only thing that can be considered a signal device is a clunk from the lever being pulled down or the rod being released. You have to see it to really get a better understanding of it. The website has videos and different info on them go check them out.

Offline sfirkbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2015, 09:42 PM »
I like your innovativeness trapper  ;D they can be used for virtually any type of fishing and in any depth.

Offline walnuts4x4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2015, 11:41 PM »
DEC says they are a tip up... which I knew but make sure you label them just like a tip up... he told me to get that fixed asap but didn't ticket me...

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2015, 12:30 AM »
Your gonna have to ask my daughter for a review ...

Offline sfirkbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2015, 03:46 PM »
Awesome reel force that's what it's all about right there!!! Point proven a great asset to any fisherman and a great for kids to get into ice fishing!

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2015, 05:37 PM »
There is no signal device on them at all actually. The only thing that can be considered a signal device is a clunk from the lever being pulled down or the rod being released. You have to see it to really get a better understanding of it. The website has videos and different info on them go check them out.
I own one. So I see it daily. The verticle part of it falls when the rod fires, hense being a signalling device. Also, the rod tip flying up when a fish hits isn't a signal? But what do I know? Let me know how it works out for ya
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2015, 06:11 PM »
sfirkbass  that's   a  slammer aka jaw jacker  ....theres even a  threat on here how to makeyour  own ....

reel force   great pictures  thanks for sharing

Offline sfirkbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:03 PM »
I don't fish tip ups I typically jig but a signaling device would be a flag in my book. But the sound would def be one to I didn't think about it like that. And trapper these were invented a long time before jaw jacker and they also don't freeze that's a huge plus because your set up won't be stuck on the ice like the jaw jacker.

Offline ratherbfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It's a Sloboraski
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2015, 10:26 AM »
I have been debating on one of these or some tip downs for crappie fishing.  I have seen a lot of success with tip downs.

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:10 PM »
I'm not referring to the sound. I'm speaking of the device mechanically holding the rod tip down. When the fish hits, the AF releases the rod tip. It is no longer bent over. It is straight. Hense being a signaling device. The law is clearly written. Idk why people have such a hard time understanding.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:20 PM »
these do look like a solid product. probably going to replace my tipups.

great pic reel force
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline browntroutslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:59 PM »
DEC officer in Niagara county told me as long as the fishing rod does not have a flag on it, its considered a fancy rodholder and fallsinto the 3 hand rod category, but in April 2015 this controversy will be resolved as the new law will be 7 LINES per license holder no matter tip up or hand rod

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2015, 01:11 PM »
DEC officer in Niagara county told me as long as the fishing rod does not have a flag on it, its considered a fancy rodholder and fallsinto the 3 hand rod category, but in April 2015 this controversy will be resolved as the new law will be 7 LINES per license holder no matter tip up or hand rod

Exactly! IF you add a flag to it currently then it counts as your "tip-up" and you can run 5. Otherwise, they are rod and reels and you're allowed 3. If you wanted to you could run 8 the way the law is written right now.

In April the regs change and we can have 7 lines in any combo.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2015, 03:41 PM »
Sounds like there is much confusion with enforcement as there is with us fisherman. I was told total opposite from two different rangers. Since they are the only ones I'll deal with in my area, I'll comply with them. As you stated, it will be much less confusing for most once the new law takes place.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2015, 04:02 PM »
From NYSDEC Regulations...

Tip-up
means any device used for fishing through the ice that has
a signaling device attached, except a bobber or other floating object
on the water, that will visually or audibly signal a strike.

So the Automatic fisherman actually has two signaling devices on it. 1- the audible "clack" of the release falling away. 2- visual - the rod release (and the rod  just won't stay straight it will "bounce'' up and down from the fish fighting the drag). 

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2015, 04:55 PM »

I  think your  full of  crap!  and  handing out  advice  that  will get  someone a  ticket  ...it's a  tip up  period .....  you  do not  need a  flag on any thing  to  be a  tip up  rattle  reel  is a  tip  up  a  tip  down  is a  tip up  a  tip  up  without a  flag  is  a  tip  up ...... 

I  ADVISE  EVERYONE  THAT  DOES  NOT  "KNOW"  TO  CALL  THIER  REGIONAL OFFICE  AND  NOT  TAKE   LEGAL  ADVISE  FROM PEOPLE  ON THE  INTERNET ....

BROWNTROUT  you  can  tell  us  the  DEC officers  name   right here that gave  you  this advise  and  i'll  call him  right up  !

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2015, 05:14 PM »
Now hold on a minute.....I'm not sure how you really feel about this Trap :woot:

Can't believe we're going over this for the 67th time this season already. This whole thing sounds like an ad to me anyway. These things have been around for years. I bought a half dozen reels from the guy at the Syracuse show way back when we had an IS booth set up.

But there's good news for everyone.
 NYS is passing legislation to outlaw the declawing of cats as cruel and inhumane.

Makes about as much sense as this topic ::)

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Jan 30, 2015, 05:25 PM »
was  going  to  say  something  about  cats  being  declawed  in  back  rooms  but  it  was  to much ....

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2015, 05:36 PM »
Love it when you get all wound up ;D

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline sfirkbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 30, 2015, 09:58 PM »
who cares about who is right or wrong. Regardless of the issue they are a great asset to anyone's arsenal, and this is not an ad i'm just trying to help other guys out...

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #28 on: Jan 30, 2015, 10:05 PM »
The kit includes red tape to put on the rod as a flag just saying
Just enjoying life

Offline richanddeesherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 31, 2015, 12:24 AM »
Nice very cool thanks for info  well have to check them out