The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: End of the season in Eastern MA?  (Read 11645 times)

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
End of the season in Eastern MA?
« on: Jan 28, 2015, 11:56 AM »
With 2' of snow on the lakes, and 3 more storms coming in the next week, I doubt the ice will hold up for very long. The edges on the Norton are shot, and you could already see water seeping through this morning.

Might have to make a road trip West after all.

Offline mike182

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: End of the season in Eastern MA?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2015, 11:58 AM »
We have no snow on the ice in wyoming here. But been getting really warm . depressing weather good luck and be safe

Offline Hookemup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2015, 12:13 PM »
Yeah, I would have to say SE MA is pretty much done. Way too dangerous to be walking around on ice and not being able to see what is under the snow. Parking alone will be tough to come by. If you really need to fish it will be much safer and wiser to travel!

Offline mike182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2015, 12:46 PM »
I used to fish all time in upper michigan on lake superior. Used to call it quites when we had that much snow on the ice. you cant see crap and lots of slush. Gets dangerous

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2015, 01:06 PM »
Last year was the "spoiler" year, due to the amount of ice we got.
This year, like many more before, is panning out to be about average.

That means that the typically non-existent ice season in SE MA is also non-existent.

That's why / when you head north and west!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline clopes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2015, 01:20 PM »
I was just thinking that some cape ponds that were open might just get some ice now. The lack of ice prior to this storm may even have helped.  Sounds like a pipe dream but we will see. Purdy cold out there all week....

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2015, 01:27 PM »
We only had a long season last year because 12 inches of snow got turned into slush by rain and promptly froze.   We had a foot of ice with the bottom third black.  Hopefully the same thing happens. 

Offline tc34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2015, 02:32 PM »
Its a shame with all this cold air coming won't make ice with 2 feet of snow on top of it

Offline BobP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2015, 02:57 PM »
Put on the snowshoes and go for it.   With your weight supported by the snow and spread over a larger area, even the thin ice will hold.  But will get very slushy around any holes you make.   But by slushing the ice, it has a better chance of freezing in this cold.   Kind of like they do to make those ice roads.  they add water to thicken the ice where they want the road.

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2015, 02:58 PM »
I haven't had a chance to go down and check my pond yet, but I talked to a guy that said there was only 1/2" of slush on the ice under all the snow. He was trying to snowblow the ice skating rink they had by the town beach.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2015, 03:13 PM »
it'll take a couple days and that slush will get deeper.

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2015, 04:29 PM »
its ski season now after this storm!

Offline BoSox34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2015, 04:54 PM »
I bet some areas will hold... I was near the cape last week, if you have a shady shoreline the edges probably held.  I was on 5 inches on a shady shore and the opposite shore (200 yards or so) was complete water.  A lot of edges will be shot but I bet a lot of ice will make it through, depending on shoreline and how much was there. :tipup:

Offline Bollesy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2015, 05:04 PM »
Went by the Nip today and you could already see the slush forming!! This will freeze up after a few days, and we should be good to go!! This same effect happened last year!! I'm betting there will be a foot of ice with 5-6" black and the rest will be white/snow ice!! Parking, that's another story!!

Offline sangell

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2015, 05:21 PM »
I have not been down to the lake yet here but had 8-9" last Saturday. I hoping the wind blew a lot of snow off the lake. We'll see but definitely staying close inside for sure where I know the area well.

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2015, 06:27 PM »
Went by the Nip today and you could already see the slush forming!! This will freeze up after a few days, and we should be good to go!! This same effect happened last year!! I'm betting there will be a foot of ice with 5-6" black and the rest will be white/snow ice!! Parking, that's another story!!

What did "slush forming" look like?   I haven't had a chance to get over there

Thanks

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2015, 02:02 PM »
I checked two plymouth ponds this morning.   Both had 1" of crust ice that could be walked on and then 8 inches of water/slush between upper level and base ice  of 3"black.   A touch of rain and the coming cold will merge the layers.   Hardly any snow on ponds.   All of it eaten up by the water forced up from wieght of snow

Offline Hookemup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2015, 06:29 PM »
I hope you are not even considering stepping out on that! These are really bad conditions on the south shore. Some cold nights coming up but this ice won't freeze evenly with all the water and slush! Very dangerous not knowing what you are stepping on!

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2015, 06:48 PM »
Hookemup

Yep - so similar to last season.   I m not worried about going for a swim.   Just ain't fun if I have any reasonable uncertainty about being on a particular pond.   I would wait til next week when the two layers are good and tight.   Use a chisel to check as you go if you can't be patient.  Just be careful!!!!!

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:44 PM »
We are not losing any ice because of the snow, the snow weighs the ice down and snow turns to slush.  The weather is going to be cold all next week to freeze up the slush. if I had to guess anywhere that had 10inches of ice pre storm will have 18-20 inches by mid next week provided we don't get too much snow.

Offline icerat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2015, 11:24 AM »

Given the very cold air now and next week, I think the Nip will be ok even with all the wind. The slush should freeze and I'm hoping any snow on Monday gets blown to the edges. I dunno about parking condx there today, because I'm not local to the area, but that may be a bigger problem than unsafe ice. Boat ramp is probably plowed but I don't fish that end. May take a short road trip and assess today.

-icerat

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2015, 11:56 AM »
West  side/back access is plowed at nip.   Unfortunately pond is 6" a of slush under a 1" crust.   Didn't check how thick base ice was.  I Left there an hour ago.  No clue whether it will harden up or not.  Completely up to the merci of the coming snow

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2015, 12:07 PM »
I might build myself an igloo so I don't have to drag my shelter around...

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline icerat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2015, 04:42 PM »
West  side/back access is plowed at nip.   Unfortunately pond is 6" a of slush under a 1" crust.   Didn't check how thick base ice was.  I Left there an hour ago.  No clue whether it will harden up or not.  Completely up to the merci of the coming snow

Was there as well this afternoon, just to do some brief recon. Very slushy on back side, started to top over my boots so I didn't walk out far. No one out there that I could see.

Checked the boat ramp and this time brought the chisel because I couldn't see the ice surface under the snow. Probed out about ten feet, seemed ok. Took one more step and left leg went right thru into clear water up to my knee, lol.  :o

Good news is parking was plowed out. Bad news is we're getting another 8 inches on top of already punky ice on the edges.  >:( Will have to keep an eye on it. Hopefully we get a refreeze with all the cold next week.

-icerat

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 01, 2015, 01:53 PM »
2 people thru the ice in plymouth yesterday in Morton state park

Offline sangell

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2015, 01:36 PM »
I got out last Saturday, had to anchor the shelter with some free weights due to the wind, but believe it or not the slush was a big help. At any rate a good portion of the lake had a frozen top, 2-3 inches of slush in others, but week over week there was slightly more ice a little over 9" and every bit as hard as the Saturday before. All and all a tough haul out, but out of the wind things were comfortable, 12 fish, and the first one through a hole in my new shelter was every bit a 3lb Large Mouth taken by oldest son who naturally just stopped by to say hi. Gotta another 3 lb'r that my off shore buddy pulled up who naturally had also just stopped by to say hello for a bit  :)

One things for sure though, I was the only one out there so there should be a lot of pressure of the fish. Going to take Friday and Saturday off and make a big push this weekend. Hoping the slush has fused with the ice with the cold snap arriving.

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2015, 01:41 PM »
I'm trading all my ice fishing gear for a gator-infested swamp down in Florida...

I got out before the storm, there was some slush but most of the snow had either blown to the edges or turned into slush and frozen. Planning on trying to swim my way through a snow bank taller than me in a bit to see what the foot or so we just got yesterday did to it. A few trips out and back with the snowshoes make it way easier to pull the sled!

Offline Foxy78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2015, 05:52 PM »
Please keep the reports coming in!

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2015, 07:11 PM »
On silver lake in Halifax today.   10-14"s.   Slushy getting on, solid after that. 

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2015, 07:13 PM »
I will get out tomorrow check conditions
Rochester Ma
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.