Author Topic: stupid questions on the ice  (Read 5164 times)

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love the perch fillets!!
Re: stupid questions on the ice
« Reply #30 on: Jan 09, 2006, 01:54 PM »
Its not really that funny, but it still amazes me that some people think ice forms on the bottom of the lake.  There really should be a law to get rid of people that dumb.
What is funny is my biology teacher tried to argue that ice forms at the bottom of the lake, then freezes to the top of the lake and the fish all go into the tributaries.  ::)
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
« Reply #31 on: Jan 09, 2006, 02:01 PM »
And this is someone who is supposed to be a role model to students....sad really.
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love the perch fillets!!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 09, 2006, 02:11 PM »
agreed
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

Offline fishmix

• IceShanty Rookie
  • hardcore fisherman
« Reply #33 on: Jan 09, 2006, 03:35 PM »
Heres one. out to a customers house one day on a call and we got talking about ice fishing. I had responded that I go as much as I can. then they asked how we stayed warm on the really cold days. So i said that we would set up a shanty and sit inside with a heater. then, with a look of amazement that we used a heater on the ice, said aren't you afraid the ice will melt and you will fall through!

Offline fishmix

• IceShanty Rookie
  • hardcore fisherman
« Reply #34 on: Jan 09, 2006, 03:38 PM »
Whose BOAT are we taking?? :blink:   

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
« Reply #35 on: Jan 09, 2006, 03:53 PM »
To bad in southern Michigan thats a valid question right now.!!!!
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 09, 2006, 04:15 PM »
I love the guys in snowmobiles asking me if the ice is safe, after they zip around for 20 minutes. I always respond " Well if it wasn't you'd be f*%#ed, wouldn't you?"

Offline marmooska

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ><}}}}}(*>
« Reply #37 on: Jan 09, 2006, 04:27 PM »

a couple of years ago i was out on a kent county lake .
  this van stopped beside the road , and out comes these foreigners .
  theres 40 people icefishing, they come up to me first and asked me what i was doing?
  i told them the truth - icefishing , they got a puzzled look on there faces .
  told them they were standing on a frozen lake .
  they high taled it out of there so fast it was funny .
  you see they dont ice fish in .....tailand .
                                                                   jim
" known carrier of icefishing fever"
" i cant remember, what i forgot, to forget?"

hali-man

« Reply #38 on: Jan 09, 2006, 04:33 PM »
What is funny is my biology teacher tried to argue that ice forms at the bottom of the lake, then freezes to the top of the lake and the fish all go into the tributaries.
Cny- That isn't funny, man. Who knows what other fallacies they are teaching?

I went to get on a lake once and broke through right at shore, the water wasn't even over my boots. I kept going because I knew the ice was fine on the lake, then someone started yelling at me from the road asking if I was ok.
I turned and making the craziest face I could replied, "I don't care I'm going anyway!"
They just watched in silence as I walked out deeper and deeper.

Offline chilly feet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bait?
« Reply #39 on: Jan 09, 2006, 04:57 PM »
how do you get your line through ice?
i drink lots of coffee and let it fly.

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #40 on: Jan 09, 2006, 05:13 PM »
I've always been impressed by the folks that walk the half mile out to where i'm fishin and then the first question they ask is "is the ice safe?"  Dontcha think you should have gotten the answer to that one BEFORE you came all the way out here?!!!

Same thing ALWAYS happens to me. :D

Offline spoonfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just one more
« Reply #41 on: Jan 09, 2006, 05:22 PM »
fishing my perch honey hole pond when a guy on a racing quad comes ripping through the lake right about 40 mins before dark just as i was catchin the big slobs ;D and does like 6-7 laps >:(.no since fishin anymore so i started to pack up and he rides over to me and asks " you leavin cause of me" dahh! ???

only keep what you're gonna eat
                                                            MIRC

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #42 on: Jan 09, 2006, 05:46 PM »
Don't know if it's true, but there's a local story about a couple tourists stopping at a restaurant and asking questions about "that native American village in the field down the road".  Of course, they were refering to the shanty town on the local perch hot-spot.

kc17

"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
« Reply #43 on: Jan 09, 2006, 05:58 PM »
Not a question, but a story I still chuckle about.  Two years ago I was fishing a lake not too far from an Amish community in West-central Pennsyltucky when a van pulls into the parking lot and out piles nine Amish guys of various ages (the local Amish don't own or operate autos or have electricity or modern appliances, so they always get someone to take them places or to use a payphone, stuff like that).  The winter had been very cold by PA standards, and there was at least 14" of ice.  So these Amish guys walk out until they were 100 yards or so from me and start drilling holes with an old spoon auger  :flex:.  I started to quietly laugh because I had seen Amish on the ice before, and they like to cover A LOT of territory, especially when there is a decent sized group of them.  Anyway, after about the third or fourth hole they all sit down and their driver walks back to the van and leaves.  Only three or four are are actually fishing and the rest of them are just sitting there doing nothing.  After a half-hour or so, the van returns and the guy walks back out lugging a power auger.  He fires it up and starts drilling holes from one side of the lake to the other with those Amish guys fanned out behind him fishing the holes.  It was apparent that they were going to say to hell with it unless someone drilled their holes for them.  :roflmao:

Offline fishmix

• IceShanty Rookie
  • hardcore fisherman
« Reply #44 on: Jan 09, 2006, 06:06 PM »
ice fishing joke I heard awhile ago. the year was 2000 and the presidential election between George Bush and Al Gore had just ended.  After the final counts came in, it was realized that it was a dead tie. So they decided to solve this issue, like gentlemen, with a three day ice fishing contest. The first day comes and goes. George comes back with one fish and Al had none. Each one goes home a waits for the next day. Day two. Both go back out and come in at the end of the day. George has two fish and Al had none again. Each go home. Al goes and calls his top man and ask for advice on what to do. He tells him to follow George in the morning see what he is doing. The third day. Same thing both go and come back for the day. George came back with three fish and Al still had none. After George was declared the winner, Al filed a complaint that George had cheated. When Al was brought in front of the election board and was ask how George cheated he replied " He was drilling holes in the ice!!" ;D

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #45 on: Jan 09, 2006, 06:08 PM »
Heres one. out to a customers house one day on a call and we got talking about ice fishing. I had responded that I go as much as I can. then they asked how we stayed warm on the really cold days. So i said that we would set up a shanty and sit inside with a heater. then, with a look of amazement that we used a heater on the ice, said aren't you afraid the ice will melt and you will fall through!

I have heard that one too and was going to post it. I laughed hard when I heard it because it's so ridiculous. They don't understand that 3.5" of ice is like concrete and your odds of breaking through ice that thick or thicker is less than that of being hit by lightning.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #46 on: Jan 09, 2006, 10:20 PM »
I get a kick out of people coming up to me on ice and asking "where did you
catch those fish?"  I usually point to my mouth and say "right here in the top lip".

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.