Author Topic: stupid questions on the ice  (Read 5165 times)

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
stupid questions on the ice
« on: Jan 08, 2006, 07:12 PM »
has anyone come over to you and ask a stupid question here is one that i was asked

"how does a lake freeze" i told her "it gets cold"

lets hear some of the ones you have heard

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
Re: stupid questions on the ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2006, 07:22 PM »
I had a lady ask me and a few friends who were fishing a few weeks ago " Is the ice safe?"........."NOPE". How could somebody ask that when there is 4 guys standing out there? It was funny anyways. ;D

Offline The Clam

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icin' eyes
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2006, 07:35 PM »
Wow, this just started and the women are getting blasted.  Do we need sensitivity training here?  Well anyway last year we were out and a couple people came out. It was two ice fisher babes, so of course we became very cordial ;)2  Well then one of them asked us how the fish were "up here", so being the smart @$$ I am I said they were frozen, but if you drill a hole you may be able to find a live one. ;D  Ran into them on the ice a few times after that last year and had some good times, but there was no putting :whistle: ;D the moves on them if you know what I mean
Fish may be stupid but I've never seen a perch sitting in a boat with a second degree sun burn trying to catch a man.

Offline Pike an Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Dead Sea 04"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2006, 07:40 PM »
Last year about six sled's came speeding up, skid & stop within 5 feet of my jigging hole, me and my partner have 10 tip-ups in
and we are both jigging.  There first brilliant question, "hows the fishing" of course i reply with "It was okay".  Well they didn't
get the hint, there second question was "how thick is the ice" now they have already scared all the fish away for a bit so I respond
"well it's almost an inch"

This is them exiting

Offline BCJensen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE IS ON FLAGS UP!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2006, 07:52 PM »
LOL  thats great :clap: :clap:

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2006, 07:57 PM »
How deep is the ice today? answer.......Well today its right on top,yesterday it was about 2 ft down and I got my boots all wet.

stump

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2006, 08:06 PM »
LOL STUMPER!!!!    :D   :D   gotta love the non-icefishing community!!!
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2006, 08:36 PM »
i was loading my shack onto the traiold one day, and some tourist drove up and asked me what peple do in those huts on the lake.

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline ohiowoody

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2006, 09:13 PM »
two years ago, i fell through the ice. not as bad as it sounds. must have been a spring
or something. was able to scramble right out. when i got to shore-maybe a couple
hundred feet, there's an old guy says to me "bet that was cold, huh?"
no, i didn't hit him. i was a bit more concerned about getting out of a pair of frozen
solid carharts.

Offline Patch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2006, 10:24 PM »
While gill fishing last year, I'm 2 fish away from my limit ( 25 ) with the fish laying in plain sight on the ice by my holes, a gentleman comes out to fish and approaches me asking "ya gettin' any?". I said yep. Then he asked " you get them all there ". All I said was yep. I wanted to say............HERE'S YOUR SIGN!................Patch
Life is a journey of experiences and companions..........EN JOY YOURS!

Offline Redneck5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2006, 10:39 PM »
I had a snowmachiner stop and ask me how thick the ice was. I told him 8 foot, he then looked at my auger with no extension on it. I wonder what he was thinking.

Offline Jbarker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2006, 11:34 PM »
This year on my first trip out I was chiseling a hole in about 25 fow. Just started and this guy comes over on a 4-wheeler and asks me how thick is the ice. I told him I didn't know yet so he waited while I finished my hole and I told him about 4 1/2 inches. "Oh" he says, "Not thick ebough for my shack" then he proceeds to drive across the lake back and forth going from person to person asking the thickness of the ice. I know 4.5 inches of ice is lots but it isn't enough for me to be riding around the lake on a big 4-wheeler. This was a 700 polaris sportsman with a plow on it. What a bone head.
To Fish Or Not To Fish...What A Stupid Question!

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2006, 11:44 PM »
I love when you have a pile of fish on the ice and a guy asks "are you catching anything".

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2006, 09:09 AM »
I love when people ask me "aren't you afraid of falling through" I always answer "do you think I'd be icefishing if I was?"
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2006, 09:10 AM »
Never fails " is the ice safe / is the ice thick enough"
what do you think is holding me up ????

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2006, 09:15 AM »
Several years ago we were fishing on Lake Arthur in western Pa. and a guy brought his brother-in-law out to fish for the first time .
 It was obvious that the guy was scared and very uncomfortable being out on the ice.
 The temp was about 10 above zero and all at once the ice expanded with a big boom.
The guys eyes got big and he starts screaming "what was that? what was that?'
 His brother-in-law says "it's just the lake makin ice" and the guy says " Like h**l, my refrigertator makes ice and it never does that.Lets go."

What a hoot...
 Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2006, 10:41 AM »
We took my buddie's teenage daughter for the first and only time. After an hour on the ice (middle of lake in middle of nowhere)  she asks   "where is the bathroom?"   After being grossed out, as she put it, by having to go behind the pickup she never went with us again. :tipup:
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline slabcrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:09 AM »
...or when you pull into dunkin donuts on your way to the fishing hole.  You are dressed in full ice fishing gear, heavy boots on, tip up flags sticking out the bed of the truck, along with your auger and other gear, and you always get the guy who asks "goin fishin"???  Gotta laugh!

Offline fish boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:17 AM »
I've always been impressed by the folks that walk the half mile out to where i'm fishin and then the first question they ask is "is the ice safe?"  Dontcha think you should have gotten the answer to that one BEFORE you came all the way out here?!!!

Offline fisher50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:22 AM »
Love that cracking ice.  "Making ice" like in the freezer.  Funny.  First time I ever had my wife out ice fishing, we drove the pick-up onto a couple feet of solid ice.  Standing behind the truck, jigging, when it let go with a loud crack. You could feel the ice move.  You've been there.  She lets out a scream, and jumps up onto the tailgate.  Like the truck would save her.  Still laugh about it. 
I enjoy that perfect peace -- that peace beyond all understanding, which comes at it's maximum, only to the man who has given up golf.

Offline tomg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:30 AM »
Yep, Parked out on "The Gut" up out on Lake Champlain, South Hero ,Vermont with my car.  A young couple walks out on the ice and askes me, "how do you drive on the ice?" Not very funny but thats about the dumbest question I had.
I wanted to tell them to go ask Captian Obvious.

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2006, 11:49 AM »
Definetly how thick is the ice.
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2006, 12:01 PM »
The DEC asked me If I had any short ones. All I could thing if that is what hes been gifted with ::)
Sure he gets plenty of honest responses!!
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2006, 12:22 PM »
  Some college kid scame onto the ice in front of the school.After throwing rocks and sticks on the ice, they walked the 100 or so yrds to where I was fishing and asked how thick the ice was.I told them there was only about six inches and they shouldn't stand to close together.BYE, bye several ft apart.
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Offline Big Johnny Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Do Something Ordinary!!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2006, 12:24 PM »
This isn't really a stupid question, but anyway....

A few years ago, a father and son were walking toward me on a local lake here in NY and as they approached me they said that they never walked on a frozen lake because they were from Florida (they were up visiting family).   They wanted to walk to the other side of the lake and come back.   Well, I told them that the other side of the lake was in a different county, and NY State Law prohibits people from crossing a different county while walking on the ice.   I told them that they had to drive their vehicle to the north end of the lake and walk across there because the whole north end was in the same county.  Well, the father just stood there for a second, and told his son that we will have to travel up to the north end.  They said thanks for the information, turned around and started to head back where they came from.   I let them get about 30 feet from me when I told them I was only kidding ;D ;D ;D
Me fish a lot, and me have a problem....Inmate 0046

Offline Stillhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 09, 2006, 12:48 PM »
Too funny.  I had a good one with a guy also from Florida.  We were fishing a local trout stocked lake. There was a guy and some kids sled riding down the hill on the backside of the dam.  A little later this guy comes walking about 4 or 500 yards acrossed the lake to where we were fishing. He sees a few trout laying on the ice and asks, "where'd you get those fish at?"     We say right here.  He asks "what do you mean right here? "   The guy then told us he was from Florida and had never even seen snow before, and did not know that he had just walked across a frozen lake.

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 09, 2006, 01:00 PM »
Earlier this season we were fishing in a buddy's trap when we could hear some talking about 100 feet away.  Seems another one of our bud's was asking if the ice was safe so I screamed back that it must be 'cause we were out here... I waited 'til he was about 20 feet off shore and yelled to him "it's gotta be at least an inch, maybe inch and a half".  His arms flailed for a sec, then he froze like deer about to become sausage.  Classicly funny to see!

bucket

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
« Reply #27 on: Jan 09, 2006, 01:11 PM »
Its not really that funny, but it still amazes me that some people think ice forms on the bottom of the lake.  There really should be a law to get rid of people that dumb.
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Offline tbtool

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing- what i live and die for
« Reply #28 on: Jan 09, 2006, 01:13 PM »
3 years ago i decided to check out a newly frozen lake.  all i had was an axe, life jacket and my jig pole.  Before i walked on the ice i talked to a warden, the warden told me the ice wasnt safe.  so i asked if he had already checked the ice.  he hadnt so i headed back to the truck and put my life jacket on grabbed my axe and jig pole.  you should have seen the look on his face.  turned out the lake had 2 to 3 inches of ice and it was really good fishing.  i fished about 150 yards off shore while him and others yelled to me to leave the ice and that i was stupid.  i felt confident that it was plenty safe with just me on it.  caught 3 lake trout in a matter of 15 minutes.  

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 09, 2006, 01:30 PM »
Slabcrab- I carry my icefishing gear with me in the back of the truck all winter (then again i do fish over 40 days a ice season) and i keep all my shore fishing softwater stuff in the front seat all softwater season :)

Gotta love the Floridians walking across a frozen lake and thinking it was snow lol
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.