Author Topic: service work warranty?  (Read 1590 times)

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
service work warranty?
« on: Jan 20, 2015, 08:41 PM »
Any one have any info on this matter.  Sending in my LX-5 for another motor replacement. Sent it in Sept 2013 for last years ice and same issue arose just last week. I mean if I have to keep paying for the same defect I might as well defect from this manufacturer.
I have a B.S. in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: service work warranty?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2015, 07:50 PM »
Dunno the answer to that... but what did it cost you to have the motor replaced on what sounds like an expired warranty the first time? Buddy has to send his in and asked me, and I have no idea.

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2015, 09:05 PM »
Free, just one way shipping

Offline coldfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2015, 06:37 PM »
I have a marcum vx-1pro it has been fixed twice by marcum in 3 years so when it breaks again i am buying a vexilar.

Online 3300

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Not affiliated with MarCum Tech.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2015, 09:19 AM »
i had my humminbird ice-55 motor fry too and i also am done with motor driven sonars! they are the pits anyway with all the noise and not being able to turn down the super bright light in low light conditions and ALL of that spinning! could make some have a seizure.

if you take one apart and look at how poorly designed they are, its no wonder they fail. the hub is out of balance and no support from the motor spindle to the giant hub at all. that puts a lot of pressure on the bearings.

i am just glad we live in the digital age now ;)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2015, 04:34 PM »
when I sent my marcums in they put 3 more months on the warranty of 2 years I think.fix it and get rid of it.they just keep replacing junk motors with junk motors.i got rid of every Marcum product I had because of this same issue your having and im not sending a unit in every year for motor replacement.jmo.its 90 bucks if its out of warranty.good luck BLUJBURD.

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2015, 09:10 PM »
I owned two lX 3 s both had motors changed multiple times , whenever I sent in they always replaced no question.
Sold both and went back to vex   Went to the 28 last year .very happy with it .
Don't know what is the deal with the LX motors but they don't seem to hold .I know a lot of people that have motor issues too.

Offline scarygoose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2015, 01:01 PM »
Bought my Lx5 in 2014.  Had to send it in this month for its first motor replacement.  Good thing for pre-season inspections! Anyway, does anyone know if MarCum has upgraded the motors yet or is it still a roll of dice?  And as most posts have indicated, no issues with the CS, they've been very good.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2015, 01:09 PM »
Bought my Lx5 in 2014.  Had to send it in this month for its first motor replacement.  Good thing for pre-season inspections! Anyway, does anyone know if MarCum has upgraded the motors yet or is it still a roll of dice?  And as most posts have indicated, no issues with the CS, they've been very good.
i see they say enhanced and added a I to the lx name.you would think that meant improved but im not taking another chance on Marcum round flashers if they have the same motors.i did get a older vx1 with 600 watts instead of the new 1500 watt vx1pro for 35 bucks the other day and will try it out this season.i think the newer models have the bad motors and the older stuff pre 2012 or earlier are good units.

Offline scarygoose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2015, 01:59 PM »
Well what do you know, my Lx5 just returned to me in the mail.  Guess I will put that new motor to the test and see how it goes.  I'll definitely post how it functions throughout the season. 

Online 3300

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2015, 02:08 PM »
Well what do you know, my Lx5 just returned to me in the mail.  Guess I will put that new motor to the test and see how it goes.  I'll definitely post how it functions throughout the season.
did you ask them if they upgraded the motors they use or if they are the same and expect to do it again, while you had yours in for replacement?

Offline scarygoose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2015, 04:35 PM »
I only had email correspondence with marcum CS.  I did ask if the motor issue was resolved, but no response to that part of the email .  The work order wasn't any help either, it only indicated "replaced motor".   Sorry, wish I had a better answer, but if anyone else has to send their unit in, hopefully they can get a better response as to an "improved/upgraded" motor.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2015, 04:45 PM »
I only had email correspondence with marcum CS.  I did ask if the motor issue was resolved, but no response to that part of the email .  The work order wasn't any help either, it only indicated "replaced motor".   Sorry, wish I had a better answer, but if anyone else has to send their unit in, hopefully they can get a better response as to an "improved/upgraded" motor.
I didn't get a response on the motors they put in my 2 units  either.just a "we replaced the motor" response and the work order says motor replaced.im guessing they are replacing them with the same junk motors that fail almost yearly.anyhow I wish you good luck with your Marcum.

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2015, 09:34 AM »
I'm with 3300, going digital next year I'll run this lx 5 this year but it will be it's last. I will sell it for a reasonable price and not look back.

Offline scarygoose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2015, 07:46 PM »
did you ask them if they upgraded the motors they use or if they are the same and expect to do it again, while you had yours in for replacement?

I sent another email to MarCum which only addressed the new replacement motors for the Lx 5, and I did receive a response.  It is quoted below.

"The motors come from the same manufacturer and are labeled as the same part, however, they are now built with better components than they were years ago.  The technicians find them to be more reliable, and we consistently see much fewer of these flashers with issues. "

Hope this helps.

Online 3300

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2015, 10:54 AM »
thanks for doing that. i always mean to when i have them on the phone.
it was a vague answer tho and not really saying any thing is my take on it. using the same part number and same brand and source is odd. saying they made that part stronger or better also seems odd if they are not the manufacturer of that part.

motors fail for only a few reasons, heat, bearing or bushing wear (lubrication dries out), brushes wearing down or open/shorted winding. being they put the weight of the plastic hub/wheel directly onto the output shaft of that motor stress the out put shaft bearing or worse yet a bushing if that's what they might have used. it needs to be redesigned to have the hub held in place in the front display area by another spindle or support contact point so all of the weight and vibration and unbalanced plastic isn't being brought onto the front out put bearing only.
changing the motor to one that has bearings in it is a major plus, but not the answer, if that's whats happened.
like a bike that has two contact points for it's wheel spreads the weight and forces to two points and evenly. unlike a car that has two bearings and a shaft going thru them and the weight on one side of that shaft on a rear wheel drives front wheel bearings or like a boat trailer bearing system.

the easiest fix for this is not use a unit that uses a motor in the first place. i see two companies that have motor issues and marcums has the most complaints on motors. hb doesn't even bother to balance their hub or if they do it's done poorly after looking at my ice55 design.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2015, 02:03 PM »
only time will tell on the marcum motors.once people get out on the ice and start running them for hours on end we will see if the motors  are any different.i really don't believe it.same manufacturer and same parts numbers.hmmm.

Offline Dinkgetter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2016, 06:41 PM »
I purchased a Lx5 new 12/2010. Worked great until last season. Noticed not able to see sz 14 or smaller bg jigs. Last time out on the ice I would see red flashes about 1/2 inch wide rotate around the display and then the display would flash all three colors around the display. I hit the SFL button and it seemed to clear the problem. I use it a few times this summer as a depth finder and worked ok. First time out on ice this year same problem and pushing the SFL did not "fix" problem. Just mailed it to Marcum service today. On the phone they said sounds like it needs a new motor. I'll update with the problem and solution.
Thanks

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.