Author Topic: Perch eyes  (Read 4527 times)

panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Perch eyes
« Reply #20 on: Nov 02, 2015, 10:22 AM »
absolutely nothing better than perch eyes. personally, i just use a small pocket knife to pop the eyes

wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 02, 2015, 05:18 PM »
Perch eyes work very well, I simply use my thumb when I pull one up and it's going into the bucket. Seems I never misplace my thumbs although they do get in the way a lot! Even once showed a 5 year old how easy it is to take an "eye" for bait, he thought it was so cool I had to save the eyesight of a few dozen perch afterwards!  ;D

PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2016, 06:26 AM »
Do I even have to say it?
The tug is the drug.

Bman83

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2016, 09:35 PM »
i find that using perch eyes works well

Dunn13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 16, 2016, 09:30 PM »
I tried perch eyes last time out and had good success with them. I was able to catch 3-4 fish before the eye was too torn up to use again. Is there any way special to hook them, or are you only able to catch a few fish with them before they are unusable? Durability was similar to a wax worm for me.

ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 16, 2016, 09:50 PM »
I tried perch eyes last time out and had good success with them. I was able to catch 3-4 fish before the eye was too torn up to use again. Is there any way special to hook them, or are you only able to catch a few fish with them before they are unusable? Durability was similar to a wax worm for me.

Dunn:

I don't think there is a special way to put a perch eye on a hook.  I hook them on so the point of the hook to protruding from the eye.  It seems they are usually good for several fish before they get way too "ratty" looking; but sometimes they get shredded up and they still catch fish fine.

I have found perch eyes to be a little more durable than a wax worm.  I usually don't try to preserve perch eyes, I take a few wax worms out on the ice and use one of two to catch 2-3 perch and then just use eyes after that.

ClearCreek

varmonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 28, 2016, 03:18 PM »
I. Find there is an optimum time to extract the eye.
If you wait awhile for the fish to freeze.but not
Quite frozen solid.the eye comes out an goes
On the hook easily..just have to do trial and error
Til you find that sweet spot.

don519

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 03, 2016, 04:46 PM »
 paper clip works good to remove the eyes cheap and easy to replace and they work great

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.