Author Topic: Is The Season Over ?????  (Read 6473 times)

Offline jhc

• Team IceShanty Regular
Is The Season Over ?????
« on: Jan 05, 2006, 03:11 AM »

Well Guys,
      Can the ice fishing season be over already ??? Hopefully not, the forecast for the next 14
      days will be in the mid 40 range.Its a shame the ice started early and it appeared we
      were in for all nice long ice season for a change.I am will remain positive,its still early
      maybe mother nature will bring the cold stuff back soon.Got out a few times and had a blast,
      fishing was slow, there is something about being on the ice,that I really love.There is no
      greater sport in the world,people tell me I am crazy,and that its way to cold to be out there,
      my answer is,come winter time there is no other place I would rather be...........
      So BRING on the cold front,I am ready,willing and very able........Thanks to Santa...
      Take care ALL..........   jhc

hali-man

Re: Is The Season Over ?????
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2006, 04:56 AM »
Where are you from, Jhc?
I was expecting to see a pic of you fishing from shore or something...  ???

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2006, 05:30 AM »
Indy
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2006, 06:40 AM »
well then if your talking about the colts....its almost over!! :D

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2006, 06:57 AM »
:roflmao: Good one "2". It's easy to see why he's got a negative outlook if he's rootin for Indy. ;)
        Jim

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2006, 08:40 AM »
This same thing happened last year at about the same time.  Got out around x-mas then the ice went bad and then had ice to the end of March.  No worries here in PA.   ;D
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2006, 08:42 AM »
hope your right

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2006, 09:23 AM »
Was on the ice Dec.17th here in Ma. and will be on into March!!! :tipup:

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2006, 09:33 AM »
First day on the ice was December 10th here in central PA.  Even with the recent warm up and rain I was on 5 to 7 inches on Monday and plan to be on the same amount on Saturday.  ;D

Offline Lobo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hang in There !
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2006, 10:18 AM »
First day on the ice was December 10th here in central PA.  Even with the recent warm up and rain I was on 5 to 7 inches on Monday and plan to be on the same amount on Saturday.  ;D

Lucky for you Icenutter !!  :thumbsup: But here in w. Mi. I am thinking about putting the ice shelter back in storage and getting the boat back out !! Looking at the 10 day forecast it could be Feb. before we get Safe Ice again !  :'(
Ross in Greenville, Mi.

God made the world 3/4 water and 1/4 land. So it's plain that he meant for us to fish 3/4 of the time and work 1/4 !

Offline jhc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2006, 10:42 AM »

Hali-man,
 I am from Grovertown,In. and fish our area Lakes,and spent alot of water time in and around Warsaw In.
 they have a few Lakes that have a 10 mph speed limit which is great for us fisherman.I am hopeing
 the cold weather comes back soon,so us ice nuts can get back out there. ASAP !!!!!!!
 Take care ............ jhc

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2006, 11:27 AM »
Had the ATV out on the ice last weekend in some spots   hope to be able to hit more spots this coming weekend

Offline Slop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2006, 01:32 PM »
Sorry to hear about your little misunderstanding with mother nature Jhc. Im sure things will get turned around in your favour sooner than you think.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2006, 02:06 PM »
I'm seriously considering mounting the ice shanty on top of the pier with the holes over the edge! It's not cold enough for good ice but windy enough to get cold out there. What's a guy to do? I'll send pics if it works. You may get a few laughs out of it. I just have to make sure th ice shanty won't tip in. That could mean no more posts!  :'(
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2006, 02:36 PM »
Glad I live in NY for 2 reasons - Lots of ICE and the GIANTS!!  Go GIANTS!!!  (Yeah, yeah, I know they play in NJ.  I used to live 20 minutes from Giants Stadium)

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2006, 03:47 PM »
Giants...ive heard of them....didnt the redskins just play them recently???   ;D

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2006, 04:06 PM »
i drove out on the ice last night fishin for slabs here in north central wisconsin it has been warm the last couple weeks but i still have 12" under the shack good thing the first ice was good black ice cause it seems to be holding up pretty good with all the rain and wet snow and 35 degree weather lately. I am starting to get worried about driving out with my truck though if the temps dont turn cold soon although its 27 degrees now :)
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2006, 06:22 PM »
I am beginning to worry a bit too!
Was on the ice on Dec. 12 and thought we were in great shape for a nice long season.
Have a full set of New Jack Traps and an old set of Heritage Lakers and neither one of them cast for crap!
I do believe my Strike Master auger would work OK as a trolling motor in reverse.

About the only thing I have to be happy about right now is the gauge on my oil tank is still on full.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2006, 07:46 PM »
I like Taxidermist's post about a shanty on a pier.  The lack of ice has got me thinking about some kind of houseboat/ iceshanty at the end of a long dock.  Hearing
about you guys with good ice is making me jealous.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline ICE LUNATIC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiney eyes here i come!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2006, 08:17 PM »
I also have to say i'm very glad i live in upstate new york.I have been fishing since the 14th of december! :tipup:
Trying to become a shiney eye king!

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2006, 08:33 PM »
Maybe for You, not us ;D. We have over 3 Ft. on most of the lakes in Interior Alaska. It's almost thick enough to consider putting the 18" extension on. Some of you should just come and fish here for a few days. It's only negative 20 today supposed to be up to 0 tomorrow.

Here's an even better idea, you send some money:angel and Team Alaska  >:D will arrange a shipment for all you guys in misery :'( to recieve some pure "Alaskan Hard Water" LOL     

FF

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2006, 10:03 PM »
After freezing our butts off in early December (-35 w/o the wind), I finally couldn't take it no more and spent the $s for a Clam, heater, bells and whistles.  Every since its been warm and dry.  Weatherman is talking about record highs tomorrow.  Now the ice is too iffy to fish in SE Montana.   

The same thing happened in reverse last mid March, when I took my boat out of winter storage after a prolonged warm and dry spell.  A blizzard soon developed with snow, ice and cold, and pretty much continued without letup into late April and May.  Some of the folks in the know in this area actually believe I was responsible for abating a 7 year drought with my unwarranted optimism.

Knowing this place like I do, a week from now it could be -49 and too cold to do anything except stoke the stove and try to keep the waterlines/people/animals from freezing. 

I apoligize for buying that shanty.

To make amends, maybe I should take my boat out of storage. 

;D

Tight lines.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2006, 05:48 AM »
It's final. About a 20 by 20 piece of ice floating on my biggest pond and that's it this morning. The 70 foot pier sticks out about half way across the pond  so I am going to screw the Schapell (sp?) to the pier.  ;D  Shanty is 4 feet wide and so is the pier. I'm going to extend the part with the ice hole openings over the side and screw the floor down with deck screws and large washers. Not worried about a few holes in the shanty bottom as I 've had this one for quite a few years and the material is getting worn. I want to get a better one as soon as this one is trashed anyway.

I suppose I could fish with a slip bobber and my spinning outfits out in the open off the pier as I have mostly open water right now, but I think with temps dropping a little I'll probably have just enough ice to keep me from open water fishing, but not safe enough to walk on. I also like the idea of being out of the wind, and with as light as panfish bite this time of year I think I'll be better off with the ice fishing rigs.

I'll be back with pics of this silliness including fish.  ;)

Please, please, if you try and do this make sure the shanty is fastened down very, very good. It would be bad if you fell in zipped in your shanty!  No kidding whatsoever. :o

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

hali-man

« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2006, 06:32 AM »
I can't wait to see this!  :cookoo: :woot:

Offline Pike an Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Dead Sea 04"
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2006, 06:48 AM »
And remember kids, these stunt's are all performed by seasoned professionals don't try this at home. :P

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2006, 07:48 AM »
I gotta see this.  Talk about wanting to get on the ice.  :o

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2006, 09:05 AM »

Well Guys,
      Can the ice fishing season be over already ??? Hopefully not, the forecast for the next 14
      days will be in the mid 40 range.Its a shame the ice started early and it appeared we
      were in for all nice long ice season for a change.I am will remain positive,its still early
      maybe mother nature will bring the cold stuff back soon.Got out a few times and had a blast,
      fishing was slow, there is something about being on the ice,that I really love.There is no
      greater sport in the world,people tell me I am crazy,and that its way to cold to be out there,
      my answer is,come winter time there is no other place I would rather be...........
      So BRING on the cold front,I am ready,willing and very able........Thanks to Santa...
      Take care ALL..........   jhc

I can tell you one thing......make sure your oil tanks are full.
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2006, 11:17 AM »
Be patient, if not sell the gear , always looking for a good garage sale..
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2006, 12:18 PM »
And remember kids, these stunt's are all performed by seasoned professionals don't try this at home. :P

Seasoned professional? If you say so.  ::)

iceman480

« Reply #29 on: Jan 06, 2006, 12:24 PM »
The ice here in Iowa could go fast The lake I fish only has about 6 inches of ice. The long range forcacast is for above normal temps. It as been in the thirties for about 2 or 3 weeks, going to be hitting near fifty this weekend. It really sucks. I wish I lived further North to be able to enjoy the Cold more. You guys up north are sure lucky.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.