Author Topic: GPS Recommendations?  (Read 1008 times)

Offline IceFever74

• Team IceShanty Regular
GPS Recommendations?
« on: Jan 10, 2015, 11:57 PM »
I am thinking about incorporating a handheld GPS into my ice fishing bag of tricks this year.  I have read a lot about avionics chips and smart phones but honestly I do not want it to be that complicated.  Plus most of the places I fish do not have detailed mapping.  I would simply like to be able to mark a good spot if I find it so that I can return to it again.  I would also like to be able to input some basic data like species caught, water depth and bottom features associated with each location I want to mark.  Oh, and I do not want to spend $400 on the thing.  Cabela's sells a couple Garmins for under $150 but not sure they are good.  Accuracy would also be a consideration.  Thanks.

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: GPS Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2015, 12:23 AM »
I love my Garmin GPSMAP 60csx , wouldn't leave home without it.  I also use my Navionics on my andriod, but using the handheld with the computer I can get humps and such on the handheld.  I upgraded to the city navigator chip so I can use it to get turn by turn directions in the car too.  You can get bathymetric map chips as well if you wanted to use it for a fishing map system.  Not sure if Garmin still makes the unit but you can get one on ebay refurbished like mine for under $300.

If mine ever stopped working I would look at the new models 62, 64 that would would accept more SD card upgrades.

Offline dab65

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2015, 02:19 AM »
I got a garmin 62s  last year. It has been a great unit so far. Easy to use and accurate. Have several waypoints from local lake in it and can usually get to wihin a few feet. Alot of my spots are crips stumps etc, and it usually gets me pretty close. The upper midwest fishing vhip is also a great thing to add.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2015, 04:59 AM »
When I contacted Garmin for a recommendation ....they suggested the Etrex 20 ...can add SD map cards ...and make custom maps via Google Earth and a overlay  map downloaded to device (pretty simple ) ...I was able to find a bundle (SD topo card ...carry case and unit) for $149 .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2015, 05:09 AM »
When I contacted Garmin for a recommendation ....they suggested the Etrex 20 ...can add SD map cards ...and make custom maps via Google Earth and a overlay  map downloaded to device (pretty simple ) ...I was able to find a bundle (SD topo card ...carry case and unit) for $149 .

Your approach sounds well thought out.

I have a 62 and love it.

WS

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2015, 05:16 AM »
Your approach sounds well thought out.

I have a 62 and love it.

WS

I wanted a dedicated GPS unit ..and didn't want to break the bank ...reviewed some IS post ..based on  that decided  on Garmin ...then my head exploded ...as to which one ...wasn't familiar with the map overlay or birds eye or SD cards ..my 15 plus yoa Magellan didn't have any of that...plus when Cabelas had the bundle on sale ...I took that as karma   
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2015, 05:40 AM »
I feel very confident in saying you won't be at all disappointed!  :thumbsup:

WS

Offline splaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2015, 02:22 PM »
Have a 60csx and it is by far my favorite. Also have a rhino 650 that I bought because friends have them and the radios are ok, and the gps on it is fine. Can't stand the touchscreen on the 650 though. Have to lock screen or it's constantly changing screens or settings while bouncing in your pocket, took it out of pocket one time and everything was French! Battery life on both is excellent but again I prefer the 60csx because it has aa batteries and does not need a charger.
Splaker

Offline Jeremy_D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2015, 02:59 PM »
I have an Etrax20. I have no other experience with a GPS but Im very satisfied

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2015, 06:44 PM »
If you already have a smart phone what's complicated about an app? It will be the cheapest route. You could also look online for a used h20 with a chip already.
Fishin red lines

Offline IceFever74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2015, 07:13 PM »
A friend of mine does geocaching and recommended I check out their website.  Apparently those geocachers upgrade their equipment occasionally and look to unload their old stuff on the cheap.  He said the website has a classified section where peeps sell their old GPS units.

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2015, 07:35 PM »
Man I wish there was something like that for ice fishing.... ;)

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:08 PM »
Garman Oregon 450 is a good unit small and easy to use
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2015, 01:46 AM »
I have the Garmin Montana 650T. It's a great unit, but a bit pricey.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.