Author Topic: Lakes in Wakaw area?  (Read 1678 times)

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
Lakes in Wakaw area?
« on: Jan 04, 2006, 06:29 PM »
Does anyone fish the lakes in the Wakaw area?  Years ago my wife's relatives did really well for pickerel in Wakaw Lake.  Was it a stocked lake, and is there still fish in it?
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline Muskrat

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lakes in Wakaw area?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2006, 08:10 PM »
I have never actually fished Wakaw lake, but I do know of people who have, and I know there are still fish in the lake. I am not sure if the lake is/was stocked or not, but any time I drive by in the summer there are always boats out fishing. As far as lakes within the Wakaw area, I don't know how far you want to travel, but I fish St. Brieux Lake all of the time. Lake Lenore is also quite close (as St. Brieux and Lake Lenore were originally one lake many years ago but the area between them dried up and grew into bush and grass) and has decent fishing as well. St. Brieux used to host a Percherama ice fishing tournament each winter (I don't think they do anymore) because there are so many perch in the lake, but they are all pretty small (from my experience at least). The fishing varies from person to person at the lake and I think this is due to differing methods of fishing. My dad and I have been doing extremely well fishing for Whitefish lately, and we have caught something like 50 of them in the last week or so (and I missed a couple of days), but others have been catching nothing just a hundred yards or so away from us. If you want more information on methods and where to go etc. let me know. I can't really help you if you plan to go to Lake Lenore because I don't fish there that often, but we had good luck for walleye in the summer anywhere from 50-100 yards away from the boat launch at the south end of the lake.

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2006, 09:13 PM »
Shannon Lake is very close. It is a stocked walleye lake.

Offline Muskrat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2006, 09:44 PM »
I forgot about Basin Lake. I think it is around the Shannon Lake area too. I have never fished there though and I do not know what is in the lake.

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2006, 08:24 AM »
We fished Wakaw Lake all the time when I was a kid and it was very good for pickerel. The other lakes we fished in have sort of gone to seed over the years though.
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2006, 11:32 AM »
Same. We used to limit out everyday ice fishing Wakaw. All you could eat fish (Perch, Walleye) every night at the cabin. That was back in the day though. Has anyone fished Shannon Lake just northeast of Wakaw Lake. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. Husser.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.