Author Topic: Ugly Stik Jigging Rod???  (Read 2495 times)

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
Ugly Stik Jigging Rod???
« on: Jan 07, 2015, 06:34 PM »
Do they make such a rod? In the last 15 years Ugly Stik rods are about all I buy because of the durability and overall value. But I have never seen a jigging rod made by US. Do they make such a animal? And if so do any of you use them?
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline ADKer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ugly Stik Jigging Rod???
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2015, 06:47 PM »
Looks like they do make 2.
http://www.uglystik.com/Ugly-Stik%C2%AE-GX2-Ice-Spinning-Rod/1313963,default,pd.html#q=ice%2520fishing&start=2
Anyone use them?

Yes. I own 2 of them. One is dedicated to a JawJacker & the other has an Eagle Claw inline. I like them both although the JawJacker hasn't been productive.
"I got a shotgun, rifle & a 4-wheel drive. A Country Boy can survive."
Hank Williams Jr.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2015, 06:55 PM »
I also have 2. One is my go to medium walleye rod, the other I usually run as a dead stick or in an Ice Rigger. Both are great rods, I have had the 26" (I think) for years, no problems at all.

BIGJim223

Offline Polekat40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2015, 07:04 PM »
I have 2.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2015, 07:05 PM »
I have 3. The better ones have cork handles. I have seen at least 6 different models.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2015, 07:07 PM »
I have a few. one is set up for the arctic warrior for dead sticking. one is set up for jigging. I do have a medium action just in case in case my friend invites me to go pike fishing. the rest at spares.

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2015, 07:28 PM »
Uep, I have 2 also.  Had the one for at least 5 years now, very durable.
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2015, 07:52 PM »
I have 6 of the 30 inch med. Action . I love them .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline CavScout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2015, 08:42 PM »
I own 3 total. 2 are older foam handle models, they are 30in med actions. I use them on my jaw jackers without fail and sometimes when jigging for pike. Wish I had a couple more of them.   I also have 1 of the newer ones that is med light and I think 26" or 28".  It works ok, has a weird taper to it though. the first 6-8in is super soft and fast action with the middle to the back half stiffer.  I don't like it as much as the older ones.  I have missed a few fish because I forget how fast that initial taper is and I don't set the hook hard enough.  It does ok, but I still like the older ones though. Can't beat an ugly stick for durability
US Army Cavalry Scout 2007-Present 

"The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing"-Edmund Burke

Offline INJUN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2015, 08:44 PM »
I've had the 25 UL and 26 L combo for 8 years with no problems.  Reel is so so, but rod itself is quite durable.  Caught a bunch of perch and pickerel on both.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2015, 11:15 PM »
I use the gx2 light action for panfish...its my go to rod actually. Makes a perfect, cheap noodle rod for finicky gills and up biting crappie. Super light tip, no spring bobber needed

Catchin' Fish

Offline cubanice27

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2015, 12:49 AM »
I have them as well. I have the newer models and still love them. I have a medium heavy and and medium light. LOVE EM

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2015, 12:56 AM »
I have a mediumlite that I use on my jawjacker that works quite well for the job,jawjackers are rough on rods.

FN

Offline NY_BLUES

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2015, 01:08 AM »
I have 3 28" med light actions that I use in jaw jackers for small pike amd perch.  Good rods for the money.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2015, 04:37 AM »
My go to big fish Rod. Bullet proof.

And......it's "custom"....... I put a hook holder on it.  I'll take $150 for it ;)

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:48 AM »
 I have an ugly stick fly rod, spinning rod and jigging rod..I thought it was taboo to not have an uglystick, granted they aren't a finesse rod by any means, but you sure as hell dont say OH !%$# when you shut one in the tailgate or door...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline VDueslerIV

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FILL THE STRINGER!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2015, 06:47 AM »
I got one this year specifically for walleye and lakers..a medium heavy action rod..cant wait to try it out on some bigger game fish....bought it at fish 307
“Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a shanty, jig and drink beer all day. ”

Offline Nezlugh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2015, 08:51 AM »
I have 2 Ugly Stiks 30" med ice rods, they work great on jawjackers. Caught 22" rainbows and browns this last weekend with them.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2015, 09:05 AM »
I have an ugly stick fly rod, spinning rod and jigging rod..I thought it was taboo to not have an uglystick, granted they aren't a finesse rod by any means, but you sure as hell dont say OH !%$# when you shut one in the tailgate or door...

Seriously....shut them in the door and they come right back. "Takes a licking and keeps on ticking"  ;D

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2015, 09:47 AM »
I'm also Ugly to the bone. They're all I use summer and winter. I was surprised when I picked up a new GX2 model at how soft the tip section is. Not so good for the Jawjacker style fishing ( I make my own). I'm looking for a custom rod maker that can build me a couple of trigger grip casting rods with spiral guides but built on an Ugly Stik blank. Northerns and Lakers.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline zjlooney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2015, 11:22 AM »
I have two medium action ugly sticks that I have used on everything...walleye, pike, perch, crappie, trout, and they've worked awesome.  Picked up a gx2 light model for panfish and used it last weekend and enjoyed it.  Worked great for panfish and caught a small walleye with it as well.  I use one of the medium actions in a jawjacker and it worked great on the pike I caught on it last weekend.  It was a 29" pike and it worked well enough.  I think I'll stick with that for this season and decide if I need to go with a med/heavy or heavy when I'm going after pike on the jawjacker. 

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2015, 02:06 PM »
I have a few. one is set up for the arctic warrior for dead sticking. one is set up for jigging. I do have a medium action just in case my friend invites me to go pike fishing. the rest at spares.

This.  I also let "guests" use them.
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.