Author Topic: Spots on Tobin  (Read 2886 times)

Offline SK Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Spots on Tobin
« on: Jan 03, 2006, 02:53 PM »
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go on Tobin, we are staying at the Tobin Lake resort.  We are heading out next week and wanted to get some action - i.e. pike or walleye.  Any help on locations, depth, lures and bait would be greatly appreciated.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
Re: Spots on Tobin
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2006, 04:13 PM »
head out on the flats for big pike we always use tullibee's on tips in 5-10 ft of water
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2006, 09:02 PM »
Welcome to Ice shanty SK Fisher.
The flats are a great spot for pike, usually good numbers to.
You could also ask the owner of Tobin Lake resort, his is very knowledgeable of the area and know where they are biting. ;)
While in the Nipawin area ask for the fishing guide for Tobin Lake & Codett Lake, it tells you the locations of pike and walleye plus techniques. :)
Good luck. :tipup:

WW

Offline WalleyeSpoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2006, 02:09 PM »
there are a lot of shacks off the point at Tobin Resort, head closer to the actual point about 150 yards west of shacks, in about 100 yards closer to shore and  it may produce.  Pretty good numbers this weekend at this location, we all were catching big Perch.
Spoon<br />Saskatchewan Lake Lover

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2006, 05:30 AM »

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2006, 08:51 AM »
Where are the flats? Thanks.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2006, 12:11 PM »
Husser the flats is the large area of Tobin Lake that was flooded. On the map above it would be the blue K,N,O, all the way into Petgain bay.
It's depth is generally 4-7 feet. :)

WW

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2006, 12:29 PM »
I just finished posting a diff message and you answered one of my questions. Thanx.

Offline SK Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2006, 12:03 PM »
We were up at Tobin this past weekend (Jan. 14/15) and did some fishing and thought I would send in a quick update.  Please note that we were there for a buddies stag and fishing was not the number one priority, although we did get out quite a bit.

We hit the flats the first day where you can easily drive out to with almost 2' of ice.  There were several shacks and tons of people, most said that the pike were not biting too good though.  We used cisco's on pike rigs in about 9' of water.  We say one nice hog on the camera come in fast and strong.  He hit the cisco but we lost him at the hole.  We had several "experts" estimate the weight at anywhere from 10 to 20 lbs., but we will never know.

We then hit the point right out in from of the resort (where the record was caught) and set up for walleye in about 17' of water.  Some small eyes hit the jigs tipped with minnows but we released them as they were quite small.  Then at about 2:00 PM all hell broke lose and we were seeing all kinds of nice sized perch on the camera.  I am used to cathing perch as a kid in southern Saskatchewan which are relatively small.  The perch were hitting the jigs with minnows and we pulled our first 12" perch up within minutes.  From there we must have caught over 50 in 2 1/2 hours when the action stopped as fast as it started.  All perch were over 10" and we kept only 6 of the big ones for a fish fry on the ice. 

No pictures to post since the digital camera is at the bottom of the lake - remeber it was a stag.  You should be able to find the spot - just look for a $500 Nikon camera at the bottom of the lake.

Offline FishN4Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2006, 04:13 PM »
Nice post TJG.   :clap:

That is great information to have for anyone thinking about fishing Tobin.

I'm hoping to make it up there in late May/early June.  Usually go to Besnard but am planning on trying something new.
FLAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2006, 04:28 PM »
SK Fisher, Sounds like a good time!!!!!  except for the wet camera :wacko:
MY NAME IS APU, HOW DO YOU DO, NOW YOU GUNNA DIE!!!!!!

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2006, 02:37 PM »
Nice going SK Fisher, sounds like a fun time was had at Tobin with the perch and a few pike, good to hear. :)
How thick was the ice off the resort where you found the perch?
Too about the digital camera, thats a nasty thing to happen. :pinch:
Could you not have used the underwater camera and a big jig and hook it again?

WW

Offline SK Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2006, 03:48 PM »
The ice thickness is quite about thinner at the resort, about 10 to 12" as I recall.

As for the camera - it was buried in the silt under the strap.  We tried but could not complete the deal.

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2006, 04:35 PM »
Which resort were you guys at? How much water were you fishing in? Thanks. Husser.

Offline gatortamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2006, 06:49 PM »
just ask Vince...he owns the resort
and is more then knowledgeable to answer any questions
also if you can go to the store at the resort it is on the right hand side as you come down the hill
Garry Dibien (spelling of last name i am not sure about) is a guide out there has silver tip outfitting and is a great guy to talk to
i have talked to him about fishing tobin when i lived in nipawin and he was very helpful
across from the resort to the NW is a place called carrols cove
that is usually a great spot for walleyes as well
i pulled my personal best 15 3/4 lber out at that place
so if your headed up there good luck and happy catching
codette lake is good too try out at smitts beach
call Ferlon smits...phone number is in the phone book
he is great as well
GT

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.