Author Topic: Henry County Indiana  (Read 1298 times)

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Henry County Indiana
« on: Jan 02, 2006, 10:37 PM »

Took a little drive over to Hueston Woods SP in Ohio with the Missus today and noticed an interesting phenomenon.  None of the lakes around Indy had any ice on them.  We took I 70 east and never saw any ice at all until we hit Henry County.  Most of those lakes were either still iced over or had a few feet of open water near shore.  East of Henry County, we encountered open water again.

Mind, none of the ice we saw looked remotely safe. It had that punky grey/green look to it but around home the ice has been gone for over a week.

I read where the water level of Summit Lake, which is in Henry Co., has the highest elevation of any DNR lake.  Just an observation.

Waitin' for ice

rivereddy

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
Re: Henry County Indiana
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2006, 10:59 AM »
We East central Indiana anglers to to keep our freezers open to help ice the lakes over here thats why you see the ice in this part of the state still hanging on in some locations.

Offline Grateful Angler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2006, 02:13 PM »
My buddies and I have determined Summitt and the general area to be a weather anomoly.
We are new to ice fishing and both trips to the area have left us amazed.   I live in Shelby County and both trips we've made to Summitt this year have left us shocked by what we have found....always more ice than we ever dreamed and different weather all around.

Can anyone tell me why Summitt seems to hold ice better than other lakes in Central Indiana?   Is it because the lake level doesnt' fluctuate much?   

Someone told me that it has to do with elevation so I did some quick Google research.   Surprisingly enough New Castle is 1,058 feet above sea level......the highest elevation in the state as far as I could tell.   

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2006, 06:06 PM »
Tell me about it Asphalt_Kid,we had a $638.00 Electric bill in December,(lol)Summit is almost wide open,after tommorrow it should be,

Jimmy

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2006, 09:21 PM »
C'mom guys, crank up the AC too. I've only got a few more days of vacation......

fish on,

rivereddy

Offline crappie_catcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2006, 05:07 PM »
My buddies and I have determined Summitt and the general area to be a weather anomoly.
We are new to ice fishing and both trips to the area have left us amazed.   I live in Shelby County and both trips we've made to Summitt this year have left us shocked by what we have found....always more ice than we ever dreamed and different weather all around.

Can anyone tell me why Summitt seems to hold ice better than other lakes in Central Indiana?   Is it because the lake level doesnt' fluctuate much?   

Someone told me that it has to do with elevation so I did some quick Google research.   Surprisingly enough New Castle is 1,058 feet above sea level......the highest elevation in the state as far as I could tell.   

that is why it holds ice better, the higher you go the thinner the air gets, so there is not as much pressure on the ice plus the higher you go the colder it gets also, so that is why summit hold ice because it has a higher elevation.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.