Author Topic: Fly reel  (Read 311 times)

Offline Pikeplower32

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walkin-On-Water
Fly reel
« on: Dec 26, 2014, 10:29 PM »
I got a couple new ice blues and I wana try one of the ice fly reels on one of them. Just wondering what the pros are to these reels I see a lot of guys are switching to them. Also what kind do you guys recommend. Thanks

Kyle_J

Re: Fly reel
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2014, 10:39 PM »
The okuma slv is a pretty decent fly reel and worked great for me for ice fishing. The main reason people are using them is because the line comes straight off the reel which means no jig spin.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2014, 03:29 AM »
Before you spend big bucks on a fly reel (I collect them) go to Walmart and buy an inexpensive Martin Graphite and try it. I use a couple of mine on the ice and have a couple of SLV's.  I find them good in shallower water.

Regardless of all the current hype, spinning reels still work pretty darned well ;D

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Bladik

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2014, 07:09 AM »
Save the $ and just run a micro swivel between your main and leader to stop jig spin.  Inline Reels are a $50 fix for a $4 problem. (IMO). Lots of guys I know use them and like them but I can't seem to figure out if its because they work well or because they dropped $50 on a reel- I suspect its the latter.

Fishmon

« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2014, 07:20 AM »
Definitely overrated in my opinion.  I have two and seldom use them anymore.  Just add a micro swivel as noted in previous post if you are all that concerned with jig spin.  My trusty spinning reels with 2 or 3# test work great. 

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2014, 07:23 AM »
I live a few miles from the Cortland line store.They have factory seconds fly reels as low as $5. I put them on my jig poles and love them. Went up there yesterday with a buddy and he got some himself. No more line coiling when loaded with braid line with a mono leader.   ;D

Offline bassbull

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2014, 08:24 AM »
Hi Pike...What are you fishing for and how deep are you fishing. I and many others fishing for gills and crappies in less than 7 ft. of water fish with the old stand by schooly reels. They work just great. If fishing deeper you might want to get one of the newer straight line reels thats been talked about on this sight . Good luck  STEVE

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.