Author Topic: Trapper Goes Crappy Fishing  (Read 2742 times)

trapperdirk

Trapper Goes Crappy Fishing
« on: Jan 01, 2006, 02:27 PM »
Well I got out after some Crappies today between 9 and 1pm . I think I'm hooked . A very interesting new species for me to catch and not one I have any experience with as they are not a species that is prevalent or  here . I did find a lake that holds them reasonably close to me and we  nailed some nice slabs at lake X .

Most of the fish were caught on just a minnow small hook and split shot . Some on jig and minnow . We managed 9 crappie and one rockbass and missed some too . They were finicky and ultralights with 4 pound test with a spring bobber was the ticket but I did have one that hit hard and he wanted too take my xmas present down the hole . :o

Man does sonar with zoom ever help with these fish . We fished in 31 -36 fow but I did try shallower right up to 24 fow but nothing there .

I wished we could have stayed longer and pounded more holes to stay on top of them but heh I'm a happy camper and was very impressed with these fish and what it takes to catch them for my first time . The smallest we caught were almost ten inches and we gave a couple away that were 11 inches and 3 that either hit the 13 inch mark or a hair under . Lots of fun and a species I highly reccommend and I love their finicky ways and they do a good battle in their own right .

TD

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
Re: Trapper Goes Crappy Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2006, 02:33 PM »
Nice catch of crappies there, trapper.  Were they suspended?  The (one and only) time I fished for them they were 10 - 15' off the bottom, and we never would have had a bite without our partner's Vex.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2006, 03:08 PM »
Nice mess of slabs there Trapper....I was hooked the first time I fished em' too. You mentioned fishing them in 30+ feet of water, my guess is most fish were suspended right?Your good ol' Marcum came to good use.I don't know how I ever fished blind for suspended pannies without my flasher 8)

Great report!!

Andrew
Andrew

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2006, 03:29 PM »
My bet is about 10 feet from the bottom SUspended right??? LOL.... Hey Trapper i have a lake NEar ya that... We need to hit....

Well chat.... Pm me bout it and Next time im up we try that one... TIght lines!!!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2006, 11:33 PM »
I don't know how I ever fished blind for suspended pannies without my flasher 8)

And as I recall Andrew, you and your bro always put on a clinic regardless.  Having fun with your new toy though? 

bucket

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2006, 03:46 PM »
Maybe a little to much :-\  We would always just drop our bait to the bottom, and bring it up slowly, the vex just takes it to a whole new level......I use to have never thought about just dropping my line down a few feet from the hole and pulling up a slab in 20+ FOW.....

Andrew
Andrew

Offline Sawlog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • YeeHaw!, I'm loving it
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2006, 03:51 PM »
Yeehaw ;D Now were talking.  WTG Trapper let me know how they were ;D

Offline firsticerules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get out be happy!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2006, 08:40 PM »
right on trapper thats a nice set of crappies

FORGET MILK.......GOT ICE?

camo_fish

« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2006, 08:37 PM »
very nice TrapperDirk,  :clap: days like that is the only way to get hooked on the crappie hunt.  :thumbsup: I bet with the new Marcum it was like shooting fish in a barrel.  :whistle:

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2006, 09:49 PM »
very nice TrapperDirk,  :clap: days like that is the only way to get hooked on the crappie hunt.  :thumbsup: I bet with the new Marcum it was like shooting fish in a barrel.  :whistle:

;D
Andrew

trapperdirk

« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2006, 09:06 AM »
What's the world coming too, trapperdirk is out catching crappies now.   ;D  I like it.   ;)  By the way trapper sometimes you'll find plenty of crappies right on the bottom too.  Don't always think they're suspended or you might miss lots of fish. With crappies even if you don't mark any high in the water column make sure you jig a foot or two off the bottom in any likely areas and you'd be surprised how many just show up off the bottom on your flasher that you'll never see until you start jigging. 

Slipbob ,your bang on lad and exactly what I did . At bottom is exactly where I always started to look for them and often they would move up on the drop . Yes some were suspended and easy pickings but most I pulled by just movement off bottom . You could not feel the tug per se' but you could see them inhale it on the flasher and set the hook .

Camofish it is close to shooting fish in a barrel at times but the Marcum is in it's second season and I have used electronics for many years . ;D

I also said last year I was going to hunt some of these panfish species and finally getting around to it this year . I got myself some real light outfits and spring bobbers too and alot of this came about by picking the brains of those who fish these species alot to the south . I have finessed fished a fair bit when I was on the tourney circuit but never quite went this far but it sure is fun and I'm enjoying it and the learning curve . Who says an old dog can't learn new tricks eh . ;) ;D I normally don't bother with some species in winter because I was always hunting trout,pickeral ( walleye) whitefish,and the lure stealing pike and ling are a givin . But why limit myself and not learn something new and fish are fish and always fun to catch . I may even buy a second auger in 8 inch when I get some bucks .LOL ;) ;D You lads that have special jigs can also send them for me to try because up here they are impossible to find and everything has to be ordered in . ;D Some are already helping me in this endeavour and I appreciate it very much . I'm shooting to catch a dandy in each of these species and all help is appreciated. :o Yeah I'm in shock too but heah they are good eating ,readily available,not fished alot up here and will help me to guide my southern neighbours onto another species they like . ;) ;D

TD

camo_fish

« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2006, 11:59 AM »
;D You lads that have special jigs can also send them for me to try because up here they are impossible to find and everything has to be ordered in . ;D Some are already helping me in this endeavour and I appreciate it very much . I'm shooting to catch a dandy in each of these species and all help is appreciated. :o  . ;) ;D

TD

I dropped ya a PM and looks like a I have a few extra jigs that I can hook ya up with.
Fish On!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.