Author Topic: ? on homemade NiTi (titanium) spring bobbers  (Read 2071 times)

Offline ninrugger

• IceShanty Rookie
? on homemade NiTi (titanium) spring bobbers
« on: Dec 19, 2014, 02:49 PM »
I've been trying to build my own titanium spring bobber but both brands of wire I had purchaced loose their "spring" in cold weather.  I understand that it has to do with the ratio of nickle to titanium in the wire.  Has anybody found a brand that has the right composition to retain it's spring when fishing outside the shack?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: ? on homemade NiTi (titanium) spring bobbers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2014, 07:58 PM »
frabill. its all i use

Offline PRICE COUNTY STRIKE ZONE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2014, 08:04 PM »
St. Croix spring bobbers work good, but you will have to figure out a way to rig them to your pole if it isn't a st. croix pole with their special eye on it.
     Beer: So much more than a breakfast drink.  - Homer Simpson

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2014, 08:12 PM »
I've been trying to build my own titanium spring bobber but both brands of wire I had purchaced loose their "spring" in cold weather.  I understand that it has to do with the ratio of nickle to titanium in the wire.  Has anybody found a brand that has the right composition to retain it's spring when fishing outside the shack?

Ernie Ball Custom Gauge 16 Guitar String. I don't know what the allow is but very springy.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline adktony

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2014, 02:14 PM »
Ernie Ball Custom Gauge 16 Guitar String. I don't know what the allow is but very springy.
Agreed I have used guitar string in the past and can even get them coated fluorescent orange for easy sight

Offline jdsmi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2015, 03:19 PM »
I tried making my own last spring without much luck. I also tried some NiTi leader material but it went limp below 32*.  I finally broke down and purchased the Clam version which came with two springs and was cheaper than the Frabill.  The Clam's also went limp in the cold and failed terribly.

The rest of the story - I emailed Clam about the problem. They promptly responded, informing me that they had a material issue that they corrected. The person I talked to sent me a new set of spring bobber's that have been working great.  I love the no-kink properties of NiTi.

Hats off to Clam for their customer service in this matter.

I'm still interested in making my own tho if someone were to find some NiTi material that works.

Offline BC_ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2015, 10:52 PM »
frabill. its all i use

X2  I haven't had any problems with the frabill's. They are a little pricey, but they work great.
}<((((°> 
                }<((((°>

Offline Fish2Live

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2015, 12:22 AM »
X3 on frabill, thought I would try the rapalla brand they are the ultra light but they are too light,  limp

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.