The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: What size minnow....  (Read 912 times)

Offline DAPOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
What size minnow....
« on: Dec 19, 2014, 12:11 AM »
I'm asking this here, rather than in the walleye section, because I was hoping for specific information
about Ft. Peck. I know that there is never a minnow too large for pike, but for those of you that may
'have tried using TUs at night for walleye, what sized minnow would you recommend for walleye? I
plan on setting up 5 TUs, and then jigging another rod to keep me awake. Thanks in advance!
Ed

Offline fishin7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't know unless you go!
Re: What size minnow....
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2014, 08:16 AM »
We usually try to use around 4-6" minnows at night for eyes at Peck.  But have caught them on bigger.  I usually will try and put sets out with 8-10" suckers/minnows during the day for pike and have caught eyes on them as well.  The biggest factor I have found for walleyes at night is make sure your minnow, what ever the size, is alive.  Dead minnows usually mean dead tipup at night unless that random northern finds it.

Offline mthuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What size minnow....
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2014, 09:15 AM »
We usually try to use around 4-6" minnows at night for eyes at Peck.  But have caught them on bigger.  I usually will try and put sets out with 8-10" suckers/minnows during the day for pike and have caught eyes on them as well.  The biggest factor I have found for walleyes at night is make sure your minnow, what ever the size, is alive.  Dead minnows usually mean dead tipup at night unless that random northern finds it.

Yup...Although we tend to stick to the 4-6" (maybe up to 8") minnows all day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.