Author Topic: Keep flourocarbon leaders on round Frabil tip ups from getting memory curls  (Read 2466 times)

Offline Paulklug

• IceShanty Rookie
I use the round Frabil tip ups and I always have a problem with my leaders curling up with way too much memory.  I use 30lbs fluorocarbon leaders on my tip ups and if they sit any amount of time wound up they have horrible memory curls.  When I put them out again I do the normal pulling them tight to remove as much of the memory as I can, but am trying to think of a way to have as little as possible memory without having to basically remove the leaders after I'm done fishing.  I know people that use the beaver dam style tip ups can wrap them the long way around the tip ups to keep them straight, but this isn't really an option with the round tip ups.

Thanks!

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
The only effective way I have found is to put a barrel style swivel on the leader line and a snap swivel on the tip up main line and take it off at the end of the day then use the largest diameter swim noodle you can find to wrap the leader around and use a toothpick or small nail to hold the swivel to the noodle. Wrapping the leader on to the spool will give you a loop just because the spool is such a small diameter although some of the better fluorocarbon leader lines have quite a bit less memory than the cheaper ones. What brand of line are you using?

Offline FishPasteJones

• IceShanty Rookie
Remove the line. You can try a line straightener fly guys use, but I assume the cold weather would make it ineffective.

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
That's what I use too the cheaper stuff has even more memory I think.

Offline Ches.

• IceShanty Rookie
The only effective way I have found is to put a barrel style swivel on the leader line and a snap swivel on the tip up main line and take it off at the end of the day then use the largest diameter swim noodle you can find to wrap the leader around and use a toothpick or small nail to hold the swivel to the noodle. Wrapping the leader on to the spool will give you a loop just because the spool is such a small diameter although some of the better fluorocarbon leader lines have quite a bit less memory than the cheaper ones. What brand of line are you using?
Instead of the tooth pick, I make a cut 1/4 way thru the swim noodle, let the loop end of the leader go into that slit, wrap it around and just push the hook into the noodle at the end.  The slit also keeps the wraps lined up.  I do this for all my Walleye worm/spinner rigs in the summer and any hard ice tip up leaders, be they for Northerns or Eyes.

Offline Mogi

• Team IceShanty Regular
Remove the line. You can try a line straightener fly guys use, but I assume the cold weather would make it ineffective.
Leader straightners work fine in cold weather. I use them quite a bit.

Offline rufishn2

• Team IceShanty Regular
You can use stiff wire and bend the  wire into a L shape pin. Then push them into the styrafoam diameter on the back side of tipup. Coil the fluro carbon line around the wire , then press them down to hold line.
team "off all winter"

Offline Gundy7

• IceShanty Rookie
I also have used the pool noodle. It's takes up some space but you can have several leaders on there with different jigs or bait setup sand it becomes really easy to switch leaders quickly. If you buy the commercial style leader holders they are really small diameter and you basically run into the same memory problem so I would say the big pool noodle with a cut into it to hold the leader is a great way to go.

Offline Paulklug

• IceShanty Rookie
You can use stiff wire and bend the  wire into a L shape pin. Then push them into the styrafoam diameter on the back side of tipup. Coil the fluro carbon line around the wire , then press them down to hold line.

I am trying to envision this in my head and don't think I am quite grasping the concept.  Do you by chance have a picture?

Everyone else, thanks for the replies as well!

Thanks!

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
what I think rufishing2 is saying and its pretty clever is to push L shaped pieces of wire I would guess a clothes hanger would work but something thinner and stiffer would be better into the Styrofoam insulation on the bottom of the tip up every few inches with one leg of the L pointing away from the center of the tip up and use that as a large diameter "spool".

think of half of this pushed into the foam.

Offline Paulklug

• IceShanty Rookie
So then your leader would be wrapped around these pieces of wiring sticking out of the styrofoam on the bottom that would have a much larger diameter then the spool?

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
I am pretty sure that's what he was getting at that would give you almost a 10" diameter which should stop the curls.

Offline Paulklug

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.