The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Houghton Lake  (Read 2826 times)

Offline rtbluver

• IceShanty Rookie
Houghton Lake
« on: Dec 11, 2014, 08:35 AM »
I'm from Hillsdale county, and for the fifth time this season the ice will probably be melted again.  We were so close at the end of November, had 3 inches and a warm snap melted all of our ice. During Christmas Break for school I plan on making a trip or two somewhere to catch something through the ice.  Houghton Lake is looking like a good choice but I have never been there.  Does anyone know how the ice is on Houghton Lake? Or do you guys have suggestions on somewhere to go in the next 2-3 weeks that is up to three hours away? I am looking to target anything I can. Walleye, pike, bluegill, crappie, hell if I have to fish a farm pond full of bass I will. Any suggestions? Thanks

Offline rtbluver

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Houghton Lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2014, 09:02 AM »
If it helps, Im looking to go the first and second sunday after christmas. I looked at a monthly forecast and if it gets cold at night they should have 4-5 inches right?  Also, does anyone have suggestions on where to gish at?  I seen another thread where someone said to call Lymans bait shop and ask there. 

Offline 187fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2014, 09:19 AM »
Theres 7-9" on most of houghton. ..that ice will make it through the season for sure..take a drive and go get some fish. .

Offline rtbluver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2014, 09:24 AM »
7-9?!?!? I might have to make a trip this weekend!  Where are the better spots, and is this lake fishable without electronics?

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2014, 10:00 AM »
7-9?!?!? I might have to make a trip this weekend!  Where are the better spots, and is this lake fishable without electronics?
Call Lyman's

Offline rtbluver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2014, 10:05 AM »
Call Lyman's
Im gonna guess thats the baitshop?   I heard lots of people go off shore right in front of the baitshop.

Offline 187fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2014, 11:21 AM »
Yeah call lymans or korbinskis...you can fish without electronics and catch fish all over the lake..just use a map, find drop off and weed edges..you will catch fish..

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2014, 11:49 AM »
 I don't know if Lymans has their shanties out yet but if you call them they ca tell you the area to fish in. They are a baitshop on the south side of the lake and where they fish you can walk to as it is close to shore. Most of the lakes up here have ice but watch your step. I have been fishing on 6 inches of clear ice out by me. We have not had the warm temps and at my place it has not been above freezing in over a week and temps at night have been in the teens with no snow on the ground. Make fast that way

Offline Lipripper88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2014, 06:13 PM »
Is there any snow on the lakes up that way? Anyone out on quads or sleds?

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2014, 06:26 PM »
Is there any snow on the lakes up that way? Anyone out on quads or sleds?
In the area I have been there was no snow and I don't have but maybe 1/2 on the ground. I haven't seen any quads out but I have been on smaller lakes where you don't usually see them

Offline Willpkfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2014, 06:43 PM »
I'm in hillsdale co also I'm planning on going to otsego area during my Christmas break from work. I wish we could get some ice down here soon but it's not looking good.

Offline Lipripper88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2014, 06:48 PM »
I'm thinking bout heading up that way the 26th. Getting the itch

Offline rtbluver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2014, 07:52 PM »
I'm in hillsdale co also I'm planning on going to otsego area during my Christmas break from work. I wish we could get some ice down here soon but it's not looking good.
hell yeah man. I get out ta class Thursday and I'm heading up there Sunday. Hopefully get there by 7 or 8 and fish all day. Just bought a new marcum vx-1pro and a new rod an reel. The only thing left is some new auger blades! I'm pretty excited.

Offline Lipripper88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2014, 05:02 PM »
What's the target species in this lake?

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2014, 08:21 PM »
Walleye, perch, crappie, and gills, as well as northern pike.

Offline Lipripper88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2014, 08:23 PM »
Hope they get some snow befor the 26th so I can take the sled do some run and gun fishing

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2014, 10:24 AM »
Hope they get some snow befor the 26th so I can take the sled do some run and gun fishing
ill be there the 27th in a sleeper, maybe we can meet up and go scout out a good area and get on some fish!

Offline Lipripper88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2014, 10:49 AM »
Sounds like a plan crappie slayer. Are you walking out?

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2014, 10:59 AM »
Yeah, I'll be hoofing it and I'm pretty sure they have some pretty stringent laws for passengers or we could. "Carpool".

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2014, 11:08 AM »
Guys I know this is a thread on Houghton Lake but is there some decent panfish lakes in that area ? It's 4 1/2 hrs that way for ice and 4 1/2 up into Wisc. for good ice. We'd like to try up in Michigan. Thanks for any help.
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline esoxer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2014, 01:08 PM »
Guys I know this is a thread on Houghton Lake but is there some decent panfish lakes in that area ? It's 4 1/2 hrs that way for ice and 4 1/2 up into Wisc. for good ice. We'd like to try up in Michigan. Thanks for any help.

There's decent ice out, but the weather today and for the next 2 days is not cooperating, with temperatures forecast to hit the mid 40s tomorrow. Houghton Lake is a huge lake to cover, but lots of smaller lakes that might work well for pannies.

Offline Nebraska

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 15, 2014, 12:21 PM »
I am looking to drive the 2.5 hours this coming weekend to fish. I called into Lyman's this morning and he mentioned that the temps were going to be in the 40's today but back to below freezing the rest of the week. Here is to hoping there is safe ice there still Saturday

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 15, 2014, 01:27 PM »
I am looking to drive the 2.5 hours this coming weekend to fish. I called into Lyman's this morning and he mentioned that the temps were going to be in the 40's today but back to below freezing the rest of the week. Here is to hoping there is safe ice there still Saturday
the ice isn't going anywhere.

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 15, 2014, 01:29 PM »
the ice isn't going anywhere.
With these temps and if we get a lot of rain it will

Offline slowpoke69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 15, 2014, 02:09 PM »
I too was thinking of heading up that way. Been getting the itch. I'm hoping Saturday will be good. Keep us posted on the conditions.
"Fair winds and following seas"

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 15, 2014, 02:38 PM »
 After tomorrow the temps are suppose to go down below freezing at night which will help a lot, Ant water on the top should freeze and make some quick ice

Offline Lipripper88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 15, 2014, 04:43 PM »
Is there any snow in the forecast for up that way by the 27th. Hoping to bring the sled

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 15, 2014, 05:09 PM »
Is there any snow in the forecast for up that way by the 27th. Hoping to bring the sled

Very little if you can believe the weatherman ;D  Forgot to add the ground is bare at my place and I live between Houghton Lake and Lake City almost to the county Kalkaska line

Offline Lipripper88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 15, 2014, 05:16 PM »
Yea only job you can be wrong everyday and still have a job

Offline thebear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 16, 2014, 11:00 AM »
Planning a trip to houghton either new years weekend or the one after, or maybe both, any info on lodging, and a fish report; if available; would be great. I wanted to wait after the warm up and hopefully the ice will be safer.

thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.