New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Impact of weather on Marginal ice  (Read 418 times)

Offline 10th MTN Dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Please pass the peck of pickled Pickerel and Pike!
Impact of weather on Marginal ice
« on: Dec 08, 2014, 10:37 AM »
Lots of those shallow water (First Ice) spots are locked up with marginal ice, but with all the snow that is in the forecast, my depression level is escalating. Looking at the local reports, it looks like the North Country is going to get a foot of snow. I am preying that we get some really high winds that might blow some of the accumulating snow off the ice.
If the snow builds up on the marginal ice, the weight will push the ice down, water will perk up through the ice and soak into the fresh snow. We will end up with a pretty thick layer of white ice that will be very misleading, and very unsafe.
I am planning to head out to my annual “First Ice” spot on Perch Lake this week on my lunch break and bring my spud bar for an ice check. I will post a report (Probably tomorrow afternoon) and let everybody know what is out there. I was really hoping that I would be able to get out fishing this weekend…Not so sure that will happen now.

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
Re: Impact of weather on Marginal ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2014, 11:47 AM »
Does'nt the state still have to OPEN Perch lake to ice fishing onc safe ice is here?
A good day fishing inst complete unless it's spent with family or friends.

Offline 10th MTN Dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Please pass the peck of pickled Pickerel and Pike!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2014, 02:45 PM »
Perch Lake is open every year for ice fishing from 01 December  - 01 March (This is the only time perch lake is open except for 9 days in august each year when it is opened for canoeing, bid watching, etc.)

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2014, 02:51 PM »
I understand that it's only open for ice fishing but until they put the sign in book there isnt it not allowed? I know it was that way at one point.
A good day fishing inst complete unless it's spent with family or friends.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.