The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: corded drill auger  (Read 1029 times)

Offline usneskimo

• IceShanty Rookie
corded drill auger
« on: Dec 08, 2014, 12:53 AM »
Just curious if anyone has every used a corded drill for an auger and run a automotive jump start power pack as your power source? been looking in to it as an option. Just trying to narrow down which power pack would be best. Looking in to the units that are about 20 pounds to throw in a pack. Any opinions or inputs would be appreciated.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: corded drill auger
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2014, 07:13 AM »
Too Much weight.
<===Lefty===

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2014, 07:36 AM »
2x You would need that jump pack 12volt DC to out put 110 volts AC.  which would take a inverter, not cheap. You do NOT want to be messing with 110 volts of man killing electricity on ice! also a jump box is designed for a huge burst to start a car for less than a Min. It wouldn't even get an inverter to pop over and run 110 to the plug, thus killing said expensive device. Have you ever seen a guy on a boat or on the ice running around with extention cords? NO, do you want to know why, they only do it once  :o
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2014, 11:30 AM »
I agree with above posts.  Plus, you are going to need a BIG inverter.  A drill with any guts is going to draw multiple amps - probably need 500-1000 w inverter, big and $$$$.  Reconsider the cordless.

Offline polski

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's never to cold too drink beer
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2014, 12:04 PM »
Last year I used my deep cycle battery from my kayak (the battery is from a handicap cart weights 12lbs) with a inverter I drilled 8in hole with a right angle it worked

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2014, 01:55 PM »
Last year I used my deep cycle battery from my kayak (the battery is from a handicap cart weights 12lbs) with a inverter I drilled 8in hole with a right angle it worked (Image removed from quote.)

Your nuts No frigging way would I run a contraption like that near water even ice. Electricity gets to me I get nervous turning on a switch some times LOL.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.