Author Topic: underwater cameras  (Read 2586 times)

Offline Robbieq16

• IceShanty Rookie
underwater cameras
« on: Nov 30, 2014, 08:26 PM »
i am looking into getting a marcum underwater camera and just curious on how good they work in depths up to 40 FOW and if they are clear my main interest learn more about the areas i fish more for open water but i know u guys have tried a lot of different stuff just want to know if its a waste

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
Re: underwater cameras
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2014, 08:29 PM »
We prefer the Aqua-Vu Micro units, as they have infrared lighting so you can still see when it's dark. HD color cameras and screens, recording built in some units, and they're super mobile too!  @)
Tim Thomas
NYS Ice Pro-Am Corporation
President & CEO

Finders Keepers Sportfishing
Captain

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2014, 07:00 AM »
We prefer the Aqua-Vu Micro units, as they have infrared lighting so you can still see when it's dark. HD color cameras and screens, recording built in some units, and they're super mobile too!  @)
   So your saying Marcum doesn't have infrared lights ?     2 people I know plus myself bought Aqua-vu cameras, all 3 broke where the cable in attaches.   I was lucky because it happened in less than a week so I took it back, my two friends have a couple of high dollar garbage that don't work. 
  Aqua-vu didn't offer any help when called so now I don't deal with them or advise anyone else to.
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2014, 07:13 AM »
I love my marcum lx-9. That being said it is a bit cumbersome compared to the aqua vu micro. 
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2014, 07:17 AM »
I love my marcum lx-9. That being said it is a bit cumbersome compared to the aqua vu micro.
And $1200
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2014, 08:15 AM »
I have a flasher so last year so I decided to get an aqua view for the same reasons you stated... I hated the particular unit I had and after 3 uses I sold it on eBay, now I upgraded my flasher and am loving it
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2014, 08:20 AM »
Anyone have experience with the marcum camera units?
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2014, 08:26 AM »
I've got a Marcum 825, it's got great resolution but like any camera it is limited by water clarity. If the lake you intend to use it on is murky, visibility will be limited accordingly. I've used it through the ice in a couple of clear lakes in CT, and on Oneida Lake in NY which is crystal clear and I can't say enough good about it in those conditions. You'll learn a lot about bottom features/structure, and how the fish react to your presentation.

Offline jimo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2014, 02:56 PM »
i have an aqua vu  for 6 yrs. the cable broke where it attaches to the camera. the co. sent me a repair kit. i soldered the new connection in and it worked good for 2 yrs. it stopped working again and i sent it back for repair. this time it was the camera. they replaced it for $75.00  i know use my vexlar sonar and like it better. camera sits in closet

jmo

Offline Robbieq16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2014, 07:56 PM »
cool thanks for the info i think i am gonna have to walk around and see if anyone is using it around me while on the ice and see what it looks like on lakes that i fish

Offline dstaples002

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2014, 08:07 PM »
I have the new aqua vu micro ll. for a cheap camera, it is pretty amazing.

Went from a marcum camera, and honestly have nothing bad to say about them but the price. I feel for some of there technology that they have is was over priced, especially there cameras.
My marcum was a great camera, just bulky. My aqua vu micro ll can fit in my pocket and with a solar charger I bought, I can run it all day and night and it takes up no room except a pocket. :thumbsup:

Offline green thumb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2014, 09:13 PM »
Love the LX-9,  just wish they could get the bugs out. Bought one two years ago and had to return it because the display kept locking up. Tried another one last year and had to return two cameras with cracked lens covers before returning the entire unit with the third camera lens cover cracked as well. It's a shame such a great idea can't be perfected in production.  I know some of you have had great luck with yours so I know why you are pleased. I really wish I could run into one that worked consistently so I could say the same.

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2014, 09:33 PM »
I have a Marcum 625sd and I don,t leave home without it. I don't find it bulky at all. two years ago I did my research and Aqua view was nothing but bad reviews and poor customer service. I watched Youtube videos and found that the Marcums had nice clear color screens. Ya it was $600.00 all in but I still say it is money well spent just for the education and enjoyment factors. You can't make the fish bite on some days but you can still watch and learn on those days!

I rather sit in my shack and watch the action rather than watch flags....its not always about catching fish for me.

Now with the new Marcum 485C or 625SD you have even more options you can't go wrong with!

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2014, 11:03 PM »
Anyone looked at the marcum panners that connect to your phone?
go hard or go home

Offline LargeMouthBaggins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2014, 04:43 PM »
I bought a generic color underwater camera on Amazon for 170$ last season, it came with an 8 inch LCD and shipped straight from china. I love this camera and I would suggest it to anyone I just looked it up and they are now selling it for 129.99 check it out http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Finder-Underwater-Fishing-Monitor/dp/B00B7YDJY2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417732958&sr=8-1&keywords=ice+fishing+underwater+camera

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2014, 08:49 PM »
I've been wanting to get the Aqua Vu micro but waiting for a good deal. Probably sell my Atlantis underwater camera which is bulky to me. Just don't want to lug it around the ice.
jbird68

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2014, 11:29 PM »
Anyone looked at the marcum panners that connect to your phone?

I don't have the Marcum panner but I do have the Vexilar Fishphone. I have had it out the last two times I have been out and am more then happy with the results I have gotten with it. I paired it with a cheap polaroid android table. I got some nice pics of a big northern this afternoon when I was out. the only negative thing about the wifi cameras is the need for a separate device to view the images from the camera. now the postive to the wifi camera is that they are nice when tip up fishing. I plan to set a tip up out then drill a second hole for the camera but have it so it will see the sucker on the tip up but wont tangle if a northern hits the sucker.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Kyle_J

« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2014, 11:53 PM »
I've been wanting to get the Aqua Vu micro but waiting for a good deal
TackleWarehouse.com has the aqua view micro and i believe it is 20 percent off through the 5th of december, thats the best deal ive seen so far for them.

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2014, 12:35 AM »
Hey monigeek what do you get for being a prostaff...its statring to border ntative advertising here.
go hard or go home

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2014, 08:53 PM »
Gander Mountain has the Aqua Vu Micro for $249 and a $50 mail-in rebate right now until Dec. 17th. Then you can also get a free case if you can find the offer form for that. Cabela's and BassPro has the form. Maybe Aqua Vu has it, too.
jbird68

Kyle_J

« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2014, 09:45 PM »
I found the form for the free case and charger on aqua vus website thanks for informing me about this, cant go wrong with free stuff.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2014, 07:44 AM »
OK. I'm in the fence on purchasing the micro camera. Even with a $50 rebate,  it's still $200 plus tax hmmmmmm? Is it really needed? How many of us spend the time with their camera instead of just fishing?  It sure would be nice to see if I'm on or off a spot.  And if I am off the spot,  are there fish and structure around me?
jbird68

Offline fishbowl69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2014, 10:48 AM »
I bought the marcum 385 last year mainly because it was the only choice at my local family owned outdoors store. And I just assume give them any business I can. But even with it being marcums entry level camera I am very pleased with the performance of it. It's a little tough to fish with due to fish never stay at one depth for long and the camera moves side to side. But when you get it set right and fish that cooperate it's really fun to watch.  For me it's a nice search tool and allows me to evaluate water quicker.  Moral of the story I don't leave home without it know. 

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2014, 09:06 PM »
Ive got an older vs820. Picked it up used and have not had is out yet. but from playing with it here at home I think I am gonna be happy.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.