The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: what is considered safe ice?  (Read 4953 times)

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: what is considered safe ice?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 02, 2014, 07:01 PM »
My comments weren't saying if you have ropes, picks and a spud bar then you can fish when ever on what ever thickness of ice and your good to go.  I'm stating that if you are prepared and use common sense then it makes the ice a lot safer.  For me it's 3".  Maybe for someone else it's 2" or 4" or even 6".  I can tell you this though most these guys on here that are talking about fishing on 2" of hard ice are experienced ice fisherman and I would say they are a lot safer on 2" then a bunch of idiots drinking beer and socializing out on 6".  It's like anything in life there are going to be risks but the more prepared and experienced you are at what you are doing and the body of water your doing it on the safer it is.  To call these guys who say they fish on 2" of hard ice are idiots is wrong. I guess I'm wrong for hunting the back country where there are bears cuss some guys got mawled last year, or its Idiotic to kayak cuss people drowned doing that.  All I'm saying is the ice is as safe as you make it.  Being prepared, knowing the body of water your on and using commen sense is a safer approach than just saying I need 5" and I'm good to go!

Ok, I shall amend that to only idiots would take their advice.

Your bear analogy only works for me if you say hunting close to a known bear kill.

Offline Spey_Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 02, 2014, 08:00 PM »
so how does one learn where the springs and gas pockets are located on any specific body of water...especially when you don't fish a body of water very often...trial and error seems kinda dangerous lol...i assume just asking around and paying attention to your surroundings?

Offline fishin7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't know unless you go!
« Reply #32 on: Dec 02, 2014, 08:46 PM »

"Ok, I shall amend that to only idiots would take their advice.

Your bear analogy only works for me if you say hunting close to a known bear kill."

How exactly are you suppose to know where a bear kill is other than somewhere in the back country?    ;D

I hear ya Wenger going out on 2" of ice is probably not the best advise to be giving to someone who is asking what safe ice is.  But in the other guys defense I think they were just stating what they are comfortable going out on.   

Offline NordicJigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 03, 2014, 12:06 PM »
It takes time to learn what thickness of ice you are comfortable with. 5" of ice may be perfectly safe, but if you aren't comfortable with it then you should stay off.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 03, 2014, 05:55 PM »
Im with you Wenger,2" inches is never safe.
Dont ask

Offline timberbutte

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 04, 2014, 08:59 PM »
The only close call I've ever had was at dawn on Salmon Lake on 20" of ice. 15" of fresh wet snow bridged an unmarked spearing hole and I went in over my head in deep water.  I was alone and the picks saved me. Lost my glasses and ruined my day. Always always always carry picks even if there are pickups on the ice. Please mark your spear holes well. I always think about if that had been a kid.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 05, 2014, 12:48 AM »
The only close call I've ever had was at dawn on Salmon Lake on 20" of ice. 15" of fresh wet snow bridged an unmarked spearing hole and I went in over my head in deep water.  I was alone and the picks saved me. Lost my glasses and ruined my day. Always always always carry picks even if there are pickups on the ice. Please mark your spear holes well. I always think about if that had been a kid.

A spearing hole should be in a shanty until it freezes over.  that is just plain wrong >:(

Offline black-cloud

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 13, 2014, 05:30 AM »
There are several good videos on YouTube on how to survive if you fall through the ice it's a good idea to check them out just might save your life.

Offline black-cloud

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 13, 2014, 05:34 AM »
Right below the ice shanty.com logo is a ThinIce link great info there also...  Very important life saving information!

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 13, 2014, 11:20 AM »
Safe ice is all one's perspective though.
Yup

And unsafe ice is when it appears thick enough to walk on but thin enough to cause doubt to enter your mind. 
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline rkymtnfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 13, 2014, 09:24 PM »
Lots of good answers to your question on safe ice. First off never worry about looking foolish drilling your way out to where everyone is fishing. you may get into the best fish on the lake on the way out. And non hard water fans think we are all idiots anyway. Now for ice..... not an expert but ice was my business or a large part of it working the arctic for over thirty years. Several here have mentioned good hard ice and that is the key. The quality of the ice is way more important then thickness. Case in point in the spring the ice does not get thinner from 30 inches deep........ it gets heavy and then falls out. We drilled holes on lakes in alaska that had over three feet of ice on them shore to shore and flew float planes in the next day.... You don't want to be out anywhere nervous about safety. I like the idea of 4" minimum ( that usually happens in just a few days from 2") use the safety gear the guys are suggesting and drill test holes. The hard popping and cracking ice that makes alot of folks pucker is actually some of the best ice you will be out on. Watch out for quiet ice as temps get above freezing. If the lake has lots of spider veins go somewhere else. Sorry for the thesis but I take this subject very serious. I like not seeing my name in the paper........

Offline Spey_Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 13, 2014, 11:42 PM »
Everyone has posted great information on this thread I'm really glad I asked the question! Gonna need a power auger though drilling test holes on the way out is killing my arms/body...

Offline FinalSwim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 16, 2014, 10:40 PM »
P=50 T^2

P= Load bearing capacity of the ice in lbs
T=ice thickness in inches 

this is based on clear, solid lake ice w/ no strength-reducing factors, and is used to calculate short term loads in motion

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #43 on: Dec 17, 2014, 12:51 AM »
Always an engineer in the group!!!  ;)

Offline Bucket Brigade

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wait...I have a bite
« Reply #44 on: Dec 18, 2014, 02:51 PM »

2" of clear ice...was a little sketchy yesterday.
When there is ice on the lakes, I never make employee of the month!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.