Author Topic: Eskimo FlipMo 2 Inferno - worth it?  (Read 8952 times)

Offline endoracing

• IceShanty Rookie
Eskimo FlipMo 2 Inferno - worth it?
« on: Nov 30, 2014, 05:47 PM »
About to pull the trigger on a eskimo Flipmo 2 inferno but was hoping to get an opinion from someone that owns one. They dont seem to be very common so not a lot of resources to look at. No one has it local so I wont get to see it before I buy it.

Thanks for any advice you guys have!

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Eskimo FlipMo 2 Inferno - worth it?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2014, 07:03 PM »
Checked it out at my local cabelas side by side with a frabill trekker thermal dlx. Found the trekker a nicer setup with more comfortable seats and a lower price.  Still a nice flip, but would have to be having a good sale for me to choose it over the competition.

Offline endoracing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2014, 07:06 PM »
Checked it out at my local cabelas side by side with a frabill trekker thermal dlx. Found the trekker a nicer setup with more comfortable seats and a lower price.  Still a nice flip, but would have to be having a good sale for me to choose it over the competition.

Thanks, I considered the trekker thermal but I wasn't a fan of how much light the fabric let though even in the store. I was hoping the black interior of the FlipMo would make it nice and dark for sight fishing.

Maybe I will have to take a Cabela's ride and see if they have it on display.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2014, 08:08 PM »
I'm 90% positive that Cabelas in Dundee, MI doesn't have any eskimo shantys on display. When I was there I mostly saw Clams, Frabills, and the Cabela brand. Sportsman Direct in Harrison Twp has the eskimo wide 1 inferno which is a 1 man and they also have a 2 man flip over. I think its the quick flip2. Right now Gander Mountain in Utica only has out the Frabill Bro Pro Thermal Trekker DLX. I used to own the non thermal Trekker DLX and had no problems with sight fishing. Now I have the Eskimo 1 man Inferno and can sight fish out of that one also.

Offline endoracing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2014, 10:46 PM »
I'm 90% positive that Cabelas in Dundee, MI doesn't have any eskimo shantys on display. When I was there I mostly saw Clams, Frabills, and the Cabela brand. Sportsman Direct in Harrison Twp has the eskimo wide 1 inferno which is a 1 man and they also have a 2 man flip over. I think its the quick flip2. Right now Gander Mountain in Utica only has out the Frabill Bro Pro Thermal Trekker DLX. I used to own the non thermal Trekker DLX and had no problems with sight fishing. Now I have the Eskimo 1 man Inferno and can sight fish out of that one also.

Gander utica has the trekker thermal deluxe as well, was there for a half hour playing with all of them. The thermal one just didnt seem to get dark enough, otherwise it wasnt bad. I like the sliding seats as well since I usually fish alone. My biggest concern with all of them is still how dark they get for sight fishing.

I still may go with the 949i, that was always the plan until i started looking at the flip overs.

Offline endoracing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2014, 02:21 PM »
Went with the 949i, made more sense.

Thanks again for the info.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2014, 02:49 PM »
Went with the 949i, made more sense.

Thanks again for the info.

Do you plan on doing any spearing out of it?

Offline endoracing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2014, 02:03 PM »
Probably not but don't know, why do you ask? I'm hoping you aren't going to tell me it doesn't get dark in the insulated version.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2014, 02:10 PM »
No it should get plenty dark. I have an eskimo 1 man flip and I can sight fish out of it if I want. I was just wondering about spearing cause hubs are better for that. Bigger holes and more head room.

Offline endoracing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2014, 03:01 PM »
Gotcha, no its more because I want room for people to fish with me. For the cost difference if I wanted to I could still buy a one man flip and come out ahead. For this season I am just going to use the pop up like I did last season, I like the room to spread out inside too.

That said, I am also considering purchasing an ice saw because even for regular fishing I like having a large hole. I think being able to see everything happen is more fun for me than catching the fish :)

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2014, 02:57 PM »
Hope you enjoy the new shanty. I've been trying to decide on which hub style I want but that might have to wait till next year. I pretty much want one for when I fish with a buddy or head up to the Saginaw River. My 1 man was hanging out of the back trunk of my car and was acting like a parachute.

Offline flyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2014, 05:52 PM »
Just putting together a flipmo 2 with the ice runner sled. As I own another Artisan product Ion ice drill, I assumed there quality extended to all factions of there product line. Unfortunately that is not the case as I have had a great deal of issues come up during erection of this shelter. The ice runner sled is first rate and has no issues, but after that it went down hill. Hardware for starters was short 4 of one size bolt, and sent 8 wrong sized bolts as well. Also instructions were incorrect on a number of the bolt sizes. The 2 seat rails were 1and 1/4 in. short and I had to have a welding shop extend them. The blowup's for construction were so small I had to use a magnifying glass to make them out. The brass pop out snaps for locking the sliding tubes, had to be reworked as they would not spring in and out freely. This involved drilling out the pop rivet retainer and sanding the shoulder and bottom of the brass snaps so there was no sharp edge to catch on the plastic guide. Also 5 of the plastic releases on the tubes were split slightly about half was between top and bottom. I'm about to install the fabric on the frame, hopefully I will not have any more issues. 
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at......heck! you guys already know that!

Offline rayclargo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2014, 07:02 PM »
Flyboy, i bought my inferno 2man flipmo, last march, Season was over for me by then but i assebled all the frame work. This november i decided to install the fabric. When i went to start i notice all the quick releases were split lengthwise. **censored**. Called eskimo warrenty and i asked if they have had this problem before. no they said first time. yaaaa right. They sent out 9 new quick realeases asap. so far so good , but i have not checked them lately. I'll be heading out this week fishing first time and will let you know if the new ones have split or not. IM WISHING I WOULD HAV BOUGHT A OTTER?????

Offline flyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2014, 10:53 PM »
Flyboy, i bought my inferno 2man flipmo, last march, Season was over for me by then but i assebled all the frame work. This november i decided to install the fabric. When i went to start i notice all the quick releases were split lengthwise. **censored**. Called eskimo warrenty and i asked if they have had this problem before. no they said first time. yaaaa right. They sent out 9 new quick realeases asap. so far so good , but i have not checked them lately. I'll be heading out this week fishing first time and will let you know if the new ones have split or not. IM WISHING I WOULD HAV BOUGHT A OTTER?????
Hi Rayclargo, Yes. by all means let me know how it's standing up.  Seems like there was little quality control follow up on this product. I believe the hardware and info structure was farmed out to china, for sure the plastic parts are an inferior product. There are much more durable plastics out there than this.  Is that a Yamaha venture mp in your pic.  That's the same machine I own, go figure.
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at......heck! you guys already know that!

Offline rayclargo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2015, 09:34 AM »
Yes it is a 2014 venture mp. Quite a machine. I will definetly let you know about the quick releases after i get the shelter set up.

Offline rayclargo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2015, 12:04 PM »
flyboy, i just went to my shop to start loading up the flipmo. Checked all the new quick releases and none are split. So as for now they are holding up. ray

Offline flyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2015, 07:40 PM »
Thanks' Ray,  I have the feeling that they are splitting when assembled. Probably if they survive the initial assembly they will be all right. I will be calling eskimo tomorrow for the replacements. Just curious, is your flip-mo on the original sled or the lake runner. If it's on the lake runner, did you split the skirt fabric where it interfered with the skis at the hitch end. It was clearly not updated to accommodate the lake runner.    Cal 

Offline rayclargo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2015, 10:50 AM »
I have the original sled (no lake runner) and the skirt is split for the hitch. As for my qr when i got the sled in march of last year i assembled everything but the fabric. None of the qr where split then. It was later in november this fall when i went to install the fabric that i noticed them split. So im hoping over time they will not split again.

Offline flyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2015, 07:19 PM »
I have the original sled (no lake runner) and the skirt is split for the hitch. As for my qr when i got the sled in march of last year i assembled everything but the fabric. None of the qr where split then. It was later in november this fall when i went to install the fabric that i noticed them split. So im hoping over time they will not split again.
Hi Ray,  Maybe it's due to the inferior plastic drying out. Can polymers break down, I have no idea? Have another question for you. Have you been out using your shelter yet,  I'm wondering if my 3800 btu buddy heater is going to cut it or not?  Cal

Offline rayclargo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2015, 02:44 PM »
Not yet Cal, im hoping to get out tuesday, Ice where i fish is starting to get thick enough to hold my sled and my fat ass. I have a portable buddy 9000 btu max, and its calling for very cold weather here, so i hope im warm enough??. I hope this issue with the qr is solved for me cause i really like this flip over, lots of room and black interior ( i mainly sight fish) so dark is good. Ill update you so you will know Cal.  ray

Offline flyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2015, 11:50 PM »
Not yet Cal, im hoping to get out tuesday, Ice where i fish is starting to get thick enough to hold my sled and my fat ass. I have a portable buddy 9000 btu max, and its calling for very cold weather here, so i hope im warm enough??. I hope this issue with the qr is solved for me cause i really like this flip over, lots of room and black interior ( i mainly sight fish) so dark is good. Ill update you so you will know Cal.  ray
Hi Ray, Just made lunch for tomorrow, heading out first thing in the morning.  Overnight low is -30 it's -28 now. This should give the eskimo a good workout. Am not taking the Venture as there is not much snow to cause us any problems driving on the lake.  Cal

Offline rayclargo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2015, 10:20 AM »
Too cold here today for me, i'll be sitting in the house staying warm??

Offline flyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2015, 06:28 PM »
Hi Ray,  Well we arrived at Lake Brieux around 10.30 am.  -25 C, 20 km wind. Too make matters worse the lake flooded over a couple of inches after we punched the first hole, had to move of course. Flipmo blocked the wind alright but I was definitely chilly with the 3800 BTU little buddy. On a nicer day it might have been up to the task but not yesterday. Next time I will take the sunflower with the flip over feature to cook on, I'm sure it will meet the demand. You have to make sure you have adequate venting on those sunflowers especially as they have a bad record for carbon monoxide poisoning.  Fishing at least was good, as we iced a number of jumbo perch and a few smaller walleye.   Cal

P.S. Eskimo is sending me 5 slider units and one hinge wrap.  I told them to make note of my comments on the warranty registration, they said it would be forwarded to the appropriate people. Maybe that means the shredder room. lol.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.