The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: What's a good cordless drill for converting hand auger?  (Read 1689 times)

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
I want to convert my 8 inch Mora to a cordless drill-powered auger. What drill brands and battery voltages have been working out the best for the guys who have made this conversion?

Offline brink

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What's a good cordless drill for converting hand auger?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2014, 03:00 PM »
I think you'll get a lot of Milwaukee Fuel 18 v answers on here.  That's what I use on my 7 inch.  I don't mean to be discouraging but turning an 8 inch with a drill may be a tall order for any drill.
That's some tasty iced tea.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2014, 03:04 PM »
Milwaukee fuel..... buy the clam plate and possibly 7" blades and your good to go.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2014, 03:31 PM »
I use a 18v Rigid Hammer Drill and it works great with my 5" lazer. However when I use my 8" lazer it doesn't cut so well. It has about 650lbs of torque so you might want to go with something that has more than that.

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2014, 04:17 PM »
I keep hearing people talk about putting different size blades on augers. I would like someone to explain how this works.i really don't see how you could put 7 inch blades on a 8 inch auger will still be a 8 inch auger won't it?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2014, 05:27 PM »
U can put "8" " blades on a 7" auger, don't think u can put 7" on a 8" auger, could be wrong though, wont be the first time!!

luv2fish2

« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2014, 05:41 PM »
i do beleive ther is no 8" auger per say it's the same auger just different blades or it always was don't know about the lazer/mora newer ones but the folding handle and threaded handle ones were all 7" . 8" swapped the blades out and that was it

luv2fish2

« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2014, 05:44 PM »
oh yeah what ever you get ( i recomend milwaukee ) make sure its brushless and lithium ion helps battery life in the cold

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2014, 06:18 PM »
If you put 8 inch blades on a 7 inch auger they will stick out 1/2 inch past the auger and leave a lot of slush in the hole. The 7 inch is a odd size, you don't see a lot of them. It is also my favorite size hole. Just got a 7 inch Mora for my cordless drill setup. If it works out I may not use my gas auger much this winter.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2014, 08:53 PM »
My mora  8" auger had 1/2" over hand right out of the box..... 15 yrs ago when I bought it.  Last year I bought the 7" blades and installed them, and they worked great..... The more I have looked into this I believe there is only one auger that will work with either 7 or 8 inch blades.......

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2014, 12:29 AM »
My mora  8" auger had 1/2" over hand right out of the box..... 15 yrs ago when I bought it.  Last year I bought the 7" blades and installed them, and they worked great..... The more I have looked into this I believe there is only one auger that will work with either 7 or 8 inch blades.......

That's cool to know. I have the eskimo 7in shaver which is the same thing has a mora. I Bought the adaptor to make it into a lazer head also. This is gonna be kinda cool.......the auger can be a 7 or 8in shaver.......or a 7 or 8in lazer.

Does a lazer turn harder then the shavers?

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2014, 12:07 PM »
That's cool to know. I have the eskimo 7in shaver which is the same thing has a mora. I Bought the adaptor to make it into a lazer head also. This is gonna be kinda cool.......the auger can be a 7 or 8in shaver.......or a 7 or 8in lazer.

Does a lazer turn harder then the shavers?

I am not sure if the lazer is the same as mora or not..... I was speaking of the mora only....

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2014, 03:24 PM »
I use a 18v Dewalt xrp, with the 3.0 amp hour Ni-cad batteries. Xrp drills have 3 speeds, in 1st gear it spins 400rpm which is still a bit fast.  I run an 8 inch mora and it cuts good, but I have replaced the switch 3 times.  The 25 amp switch can not take that kind of draw.  I rigged up a more heavy duty switch for this year 1st ice.  I would suggest a 6 inch auger, 8" is a little much unless you don't mind burning up drill parts.  I like drilling holes with my drill auger, but am upgrading to gas this year.  I think an Eskimo Mako 43cc 8". Can't beat the price

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2014, 04:11 PM »
Very helpful information! Thank you guys! :)

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2014, 05:57 PM »
Rigid 18v Hammer Drill. Lifetime warranty on drill and batteries.

Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2014, 06:11 PM »
Rigid 18v Hammer Drill. Lifetime warranty on drill and batteries.

(Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.)
                  Do you sell Rigid or what?  Just curious!!

Offline rink 610

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2014, 06:35 PM »
Have been using a Craftsman 1/2 in. drill with lithium batts for the past 3 years. Goes through 18 inches of ice on a 6 inch Mora with no problem.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.