Author Topic: Hali Replacement Chains  (Read 1414 times)

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hali Replacement Chains
« on: Nov 17, 2014, 07:10 PM »
Hey guys.  Awhile back, there was a thread on here about replacing the chains on the Hali jigs, and I'll be darned if I can find the thing!  I know they were talking about getting the chain from a place online called the Ringlord.com.  My big question is, how do you hook the chain to the Hali and the hook?  I was thinking of using split rings, but I'm not sure what size to get or even where to get them.  Any ideas??

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Hali Replacement Chains
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2014, 07:23 PM »
I have an idea Mr Flat.  How 'bout the link to those chains.       ;)2

3rd item up from the bottom of the page.     Good luck. 

Welded Chain

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2014, 07:31 PM »
That takes me to a weather site??  Anyways, they were talking about using the .6mm stainless welded chain, I just wish I could physically see the chain to see if it's the size I need.  Or do I just say "ta heck with it" and get the Hali Replacement Chain from FishUSA??

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2014, 07:44 PM »

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2014, 07:47 PM »

3rd item up from the bottom of the page.     Good luck. 

Welded Chain

Hmmm...appears Mr. I'gator is succumbing to some intense air stagnation, perhaps causing inadvertent neuro-motor reflex difficulties, resulting in improper link posting.  :woot: :roflmao:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2014, 08:02 PM »
Jeez, may I still post here.      :angel

This wireless mouse has become a rogue with the memory of an elephant.      :woot: :roflmao:

A bit or retraining and a cashew snack has resulted in slight correction.

Now, how to skin a mouse ?       >:D

Mr Flat, that 0.06mm is very small, but strong.    The 0.08mm is a lot easier to work with.

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2014, 08:12 PM »
 I use Northland Sting'r Hooks.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2014, 08:50 PM »
That takes me to a weather site??  Anyways, they were talking about using the .6mm stainless welded chain, I just wish I could physically see the chain to see if it's the size I need.  Or do I just say "ta heck with it" and get the Hali Replacement Chain from FishUSA??

I would recomend the 0.8mm chain. It is easier to work with, and looks to be the same size when compared to the dropper chains on my shucks jiggers. Just an FYI. Northland & shucks both have replacement dropper chains for sale at a much more reasonable price point vs the hali version.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2014, 09:49 PM »

I took some pics for you. I hope this can give you a better idea of what you are looking for.

The silver chain is the 0.8mm ss welded. The chain on the right is 8ft of a bronze chain from walmart which cost $3.25 for 8ft. The 0.8mm is about the size shucks uses, northland uses a touch bigger chain. Sorry Pic isn't the clearest.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2014, 09:53 PM »
Keep it civil guys. I'd hate to have to pull another thread full of good information 'til the end of the thread when you got into a measuring match. Know what the best part about fishing is? There's no right or wrong answer. I've caught fish doing what people told me not to or "wouldn't work". Carry on.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2014, 09:58 PM »
I made a dropper chain with the walmart chain and tested it to see if it would break.

I hung a downrigger weight from it for 10min. never broke.

Even though the chain isn't welded, I do think it should work just fine for perch/panfishing. Heck if it held a 6lb downrigger weight for 10min. It's stronger then my 4lb test mono so I think it will work fine.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2014, 11:12 PM »
Well done.

Good test.

Nice definitive photos.        ;D

Offline bigbuckmiddaugh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2014, 08:56 AM »
good info. guys!  thank you!!!  I'm trying to find stainless .6mm on ebay or something
I want the small than hali chain.  Then my buddies be like...i'm using same color and your catching...they will never think of the chain. lmao ;D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2014, 06:36 PM »
I made a dropper chain with the walmart chain and tested it to see if it would break.

(Image removed from quote.)

I hung a downrigger weight from it for 10min. never broke.

(Image removed from quote.)

Even though the chain isn't welded, I do think it should work just fine for perch/panfishing. Heck if it held a 6lb downrigger weight for 10min. It's stronger then my 4lb test mono so I think it will work fine.
What size split rings did you use??  I'm going to put in the order for the .8mm chain tonight and I'll probably just get the split rings from FishUSA when I put in my next order.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2014, 06:42 PM »
I'm really not sure. The rings I used were just in the tackle box. They were some extras that came with some spoons I bought. If you buy some split rings a size or two smaller would be better.

PM Idahogator. I know he makes dropper chains. He can probably give you an idea on the size of split rings to use.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 18, 2014, 06:46 PM »
I'm really not sure. The rings I used were just in the tackle box. The were some extras that cam with some spoons I bought. If I do buy some split rings a size or so smaller would be better.
Yeah, I was thinking of the size 0 SPRO stainless rings from FishUSA.  They are 1/8' in diameter, or the size 1 is 5/32".  I might get a package of each to see which works better.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2014, 11:04 PM »
when you try them out let me know which ones you like/fit right so I can order a few.

Offline trundog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 20, 2014, 06:53 AM »
I didn't like the split ring at the hook, so I used #2 mustad snap hooks to connect the 0.6mm chain

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2014, 06:40 PM »
Like the quick snaps you use for lures?

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 20, 2014, 08:06 PM »
I'm not a big fan of those.  If there's not a 100% closure on the jig, I don't use it!!

Offline trundog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2014, 08:35 PM »

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2014, 10:27 PM »
yep thats a quick snap.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #22 on: Nov 20, 2014, 11:31 PM »
I've lost so much with perfectly tight/closed quick snaps, it's almost depressing.

Sometimes, just jigging and oops, "Hey where's my, well, never mind.

They're great for a quick change, (with the proper tool(s)).       ;)2 

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Nov 21, 2014, 02:56 AM »
I've lost so much with perfectly tight/closed quick snaps, it's almost depressing.

Sometimes, just jigging and oops, "Hey where's my, well, never mind.

They're great for a quick change, (with the proper tool(s)).       ;)2

Don't feel bad I have donated my share thanks to those snaps. And they look so good too ???

WS

Offline trundog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 21, 2014, 06:08 AM »
Admittedly, I don't get on the ice everyday, but this will be my third (4th?) season using the quick snaps and haven't lost hook or chain yet.  I see where there could be an issue casting on open water with them.  Are you losing them down the hole?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #25 on: Nov 21, 2014, 12:10 PM »
Yup, down the hole, 5' of clear water. Jigging with a wrist snap then flutter, then no weight on the rod tip. looked down the hole and there was the Buckshot Rattle spoon on the bottom.  That's another reason I carry a small magnet, ha.  The quick snap was tightly closed.     :unsure:

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 21, 2014, 03:40 PM »
I don't know if we are talking about the same thing...here's a link

http://www.fishusa.com/product/Mustad-Hook-Snap---Model77145?utm_source=bing_ps&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=bing_ps

Yup, that's what I was talking about also.  Like I said, not a fan, but hey, to each their own!

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 21, 2014, 03:47 PM »
Ok, I ordered 3' of the .8mm chain from TheRingLord, and I just put in an order to FishUSA for the size 0 snap rings.  I went to Gander & Bass Pro today looking for some, but the smallest they had were 1's and they looked too big.  So, I've got the Hali's covered and I think I might try a drop chain on some of my Buckshots.  Thanks for all the help guys, and here's to a safe an successfully hard water season!!   :thumbsup:

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #28 on: Nov 21, 2014, 03:58 PM »
Hm, you never mentioned having hemostats.

Stay safe and use eye protection.       ;)2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 21, 2014, 04:40 PM »
Hm, you never mentioned having hemostats.

Stay safe and use eye protection.       ;)2
I bought a nice pair of split ring pliers at BP today!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.