Author Topic: portable wooden shanty...??  (Read 3560 times)

Offline amazinmoose

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag UPPP!!
portable wooden shanty...??
« on: Dec 28, 2005, 09:33 AM »
okay here is the deal, i live in mass in the good ol usa  we get a fair amount of ice but not enough to have a shanty city on the lakes. heres what I'm thinking if i fab. a shanty outa thin ply and 1x1's and use nuts and bolts to hold her steady and predrill and all that fun stuff. and use the sled to get her out there... would this be tomuch of a pain in the a$$?? i mean ill be the one lugging it out and all and its my call but what do you guys think?? you could even wire it with connectors to break it down.  it would be sorta like a prefab. shanty...  you know like them new houses they have.  4 walls and a flat roof.. simple yet cozy.. or just spend 500$ and buy one..? thanks for the input and info -moose
flag up, tightlines; fish on....   -moose

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: portable wooden shanty...??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2005, 09:59 PM »
Sounds like a neat idea.  The thing that i have learned about building my own gear is it is hard to compete with manufactured items in the weight department, take my sled for example, I customized it and it is great but it weighs #35, now a jet sled weighs in under #10 but costs a lot of money for a sled.  In you case if you have the materials around I would build your pre fab shanty and see how it goes, try it for a season and then make adjustments or invest in a manufactured one.  Just my $.02
Welcome to the Northwoods! Grab a Leinenkugel's!

Offline amazinmoose

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag UPPP!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2005, 07:07 AM »
thanks man... i know weight is ganan bve a downer...  well see prolly just skip this year and save up for one of the 9'X7'X6' monsters.... about 500$ but only weighs around 65#s   -moose

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2005, 09:11 AM »
thanks man... i know weight is ganan bve a downer...  well see prolly just skip this year and save up for one of the 9'X7'X6' monsters.... about 500$ but only weighs around 65#s   -moose

I'd like to see what you're talking about 9x7x6 and 65#?

Chris
Cheese Head

Offline amazinmoose

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag UPPP!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2005, 09:30 AM »
im not sure of the exact size...  i knwo cabalas had them for $500  it is...  Yukon™ Ice Shelter by clam corp.  86"W x 62"L x 70"H. Weight: 107 lbs.   guess i was a bit off, sorry man! -moose   

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2005, 10:34 AM »
No problem, I just thought you had a line on a hardside shanty that was incredibly light.  I'd like to have seen that.
Cheese Head

Offline alaskanate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2005, 07:51 AM »
Im working a building a 8 by 10 hut that i hope is under 200 pounds when im done...

Hand pulling it in deep snow may not be fun, Hopeing to have it done this season. ill try and start a build up thread on it.

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2005, 11:24 AM »
The would be really cool alaskanate.
Cheese Head

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2005, 09:38 PM »
I have built the ones that folds down and has the round top made out of tarp but it is much to heavy to lug out any distance and doesnt pull easy through the snow. I got a Frabill XLT flip style shanty this year and love it!! Not to hard to pull out and you can load all of your stuff right in it. Buy a Mr. Buddy heater and it gets quite toasty very quickly. I would recomend buying a portable rather than building just b/c of the ease of use. Good Luck with your decision. ;D

Offline alaskanate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2005, 02:29 AM »
Yeah, i pulled the base of my hut out of the garage today so i could do some work on my truck. Im kinda pissed! its a PIA to pull and quite heavy. I hope it pulls better when i get some UHMV or some typ of plastic on the bottom.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2006, 12:44 AM »
I have built the ones that folds down and has the round top made out of tarp but it is much to heavy to lug out any distance and doesnt pull easy through the snow.

I am in the process of building one of these, but I got a pair of ski's to attach to the runners.  Hope this helps with the pulling situation. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.