Author Topic: sweedish pimple  (Read 2702 times)

Offline holota018

• IceShanty Rookie
sweedish pimple
« on: Dec 27, 2005, 08:35 PM »
what are some good tips on how to fish with a sweedish pimple??
thanx
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Offline Big_Buck_Hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pull it out and measure it.
Re: sweedish pimple
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2005, 09:31 PM »
Cut a fathead or shiner in half and hook either half on one of the hooks.  Lower the lure to the bottom and either bounce it off the bottom or a foot off the bottom.  Jig it up, let it down, keeping the line fairly tight on the way down because that's most often when they'll bite it.  If you have a Vex (someday), lower it to where you can see fish on it.    You can also use a grub on one hook instead of the half minnow.   You can also use a hole live minnow - sometimes I hook it through the lips, sometimes through the back.  It will jig differently through the back though.
Life is just a bunch of BS between deer seasons.
Mama doesn't know the toys we keep...

Offline TaterSalad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2005, 06:59 AM »
Big Buck,
Thanks for the tip.  I just bought 2 pimples last night because I heard guys on this site were using them.  I have never tried them before.  I have been on the ice 4 times in my life and need these kind of tips.  From what I hear, I should get a couple of Hali s next.

Offline Big_Buck_Hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2005, 07:58 AM »
Mac - Can you post a picture of those setups?  Sounds interesting but I haven't had enough coffee yet to be able to picture it.

Offline Bobman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Free Speech Advocate #000020
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2005, 08:02 AM »
My suggestion is to replace the treble hook with the single hook that is in the package.  I find that I hook more fish with the single hook, and if you are releasing them it is easier to get the hook out.  Also, your standard jigging method works well with these lures (I like to lift, hold, drop hold jigging rhythm).  But if the fish are finicky drop the lure to the bottom, let it sit a bit the lift it off the bottom and hold.  Often gets the more passive fish to bite.  These are one of my favorite jigging lures.
There's a hole in my ice!

Offline Big_Buck_Hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2005, 10:56 AM »
Thanks Mac. I'll be watching. 

I've seen people jig the pimple a full 4 feet up with a swift motion and then drop it at the same speed. When it hits the bottom (of the line) the fish will grab them.  Used to work for me on perch on Oneida with the biggest white or copper pimple (the big, heavy ones...I don't know what size).

When the fish are finicky, I know that not jigging the pimple far but jiggling it up and down for 10-20 seconds has worked for me. As soon as you stop, the line tightens and the fish is on (if you notice that line and set the hook).

Offline Big_Buck_Hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2005, 08:52 AM »
Hey Mac, was that you at the Trans Siberian Orchestra holding up your lighter and hollering "Free Bird"? ;D  Don't forget that picture (yup, this is your reminder). :whistle:

Offline Big_Buck_Hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2005, 08:52 PM »
Thanks Mac.  That shows me everything I need to know.  I'm going to email a photo of "Mac's Minnow Rig" to my fishing father and brother.  You'll be famous in no time!  Stand by the mailbox for the royalty checks! :whistle:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.