The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Augers  (Read 1464 times)

Offline zjlooney

• Team IceShanty Regular
Augers
« on: Nov 04, 2014, 03:52 PM »
Who's getting the new eskimo propane auger this year?  I'd like to hear from some guys that have used eskimo in the past.  Looking at upgrading from my old strikemaster.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Re: Augers
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2014, 04:06 PM »
Who's getting the new eskimo propane auger this year?  I'd like to hear from some guys that have used eskimo in the past.  Looking at upgrading from my old strikemaster.
Seeing as how it's brand new, I doubt anyone has used them yet! As for Eskimo augers, there are many fans of them on here!! The propane are heavier if you look at the specs.... We may have to wait for ice to get any reports!!! :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2014, 06:50 PM »
I bought the Z71 last year and love it. Only one year in the books so we'll see how it holds up to the abuse I put it through.

I will say I don't much care for the quality of their ice huts. Hoping the quality of the augers is better.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline Duke307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2014, 09:17 PM »
I have had my Z71 for 3 seasons now and have no problems from it. Always starts and runs great! I was wondering about the propane myself.

Offline degasvegas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2014, 11:13 PM »
This year will be my 4th season with my Z51. So far still running like a top. I haven't had any issues with the Eskimo brand at all.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2014, 11:33 PM »
I know prospector had some probs with the jiffy propane one, so hopefully eskimo has more success with there's. I had great success with my nils convertible last year and my 19v drill. Gave my 15 year old mag2000 a well deserved break. Like was said you wont see many reviews on the propane eskimo till ice
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline bp4ester

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2014, 08:15 AM »
I've got a Z51 and its runs like a champ when the pull cord isn't broken.  I've had to fix it 3 times now,  but other than that it fire on the first or second pull everytime.  Cuts pretty quick also

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2014, 10:30 AM »
I have had two Eskimo Augers in the last 22 years, the first one is a sportsman auger and the only thing is I popped the gear off the hub that goes around the clutch a very easy and cheap fix.  Other than that have not had any problems and on my 5Th year with my z71 and really happy with it.  Cannot wait for the ice.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2014, 10:34 AM »
They've done their homework on the new ones. Used another brand's problems with the first one to help develop their's. I'll take a guess it's gonna be a darned good one. My Eskimo works great after 8 years.  Wouldn't trade it. ;)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline zjlooney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2014, 03:41 PM »
I knew I wouldn't get any reviews on the propane model.  Don't think I've ever owned a piece of gear from them, but it seems I always hear good things about their augers. Any ideas on why the price point of a new jiffy propane auger is $100 higher?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2014, 03:45 PM »
All the propanes are. Modification of the existing carbs they use and the addition of the holder for the can costs a bit more, plus the fact that they're new and they know they'll be the way to go, would be my guess. An excuse to jack up the price, in other words.  >:(
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2014, 04:19 PM »
If I need to, all I plan of having to buy is replacement blades for my hand aguers.

I did not use my power auger at all last season.

I found that after a few trips I was able to hand-cut through 2 feet of ice pretty quickly, without killing my arms, back or shoulders.
I don't relish the chance to have to repeat that feat this season, but if I'm going to have to suffer through the winter, I'd rather have to deal with more ice than less.

I'm starting my arm, back and shoulder exercises now in preparation!!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2014, 04:39 PM »
I guarantee you don't drill as many holes as some of us do throughout a day then. My first pattern can be 12+ holes at times.

- wyoutdoors :tipup:

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2014, 05:11 PM »
My jiffy pro4 propane will drill 40 holes on 1 bottle.  My other gas auger isn't even close to that on one tank of gas.  The pro4 is quiet, no smell (/when drilling inside the shack), and a 4 stroke.  I like not carrying a gas can and I like that my cook stove runs on the same fuel as my heater and my auger.  Sometimes more is less.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2014, 06:41 PM »
Propane rocks . :thumbsup:

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 08, 2014, 08:13 AM »
I cant speak to propane but I own an Eskimo Mako that I have used for the past 4 seasons. It has been solid and I really like it a lot. 

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 08, 2014, 10:08 AM »
z71 for 3 yrs and this will be the 4th season on the ice with it.

No real bad issues, I did how ever replace the carb last winter due to bad fuel.  It was by far easier to just buy a new carb, but then you need a special tool to adjust it.  Living in wyoming there is not a service place they use so you end up doing stuff yourself, or take it some place. 

I now sharpen my own blades.  It is really easy if you spend some time researching it.  I use a belt sander.   We know how well the ice is here in wyoming with sand and rocks.

Don

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 12, 2014, 09:20 PM »
Im running a Jiffy 3hp Tecumseh engine with 9" stealth blades and I absolutely Love it!! It starts every time and drills very fast the only down fall to it is its heavy and when you drill 50 plus holes in a day its a good work out lol I have tried the strike masters and the one I bought new wasnt worth the time to drag it home, I had a 2hp strike master  with an 8" dual blade auger and I sold it to a guy then regretted it everytime i took that new one out and it wouldnt run right or the switches broke off or get hot and quit and thats why I went with a Jiffy. I wish they made a 3hp propane with the aluminum gear box that would be a sweet machine I think. :woot:
I admit it I am an Ice O Holic

(Fish) it's what's for dinner

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.