The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Belgrades  (Read 2308 times)

Offline drfhaha123

• Team IceShanty Regular
Belgrades
« on: Nov 02, 2014, 08:25 AM »
Would like to plan a trip to the belgrades for ice fishing pike is there a season on pike?does a 4 wheeler need to be reg. in Maine ? I am from mass.     Thanks Dan

Offline mike1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Belgrades
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2014, 11:15 AM »
Yes,  I don't own a 4wheeler,  maybe someone with one will chime in,  it may need to be registered as a snomachine to drive on Lakes?  Make sure you have all your ducks lined up..the wardens hit this area hard.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2014, 01:17 PM »
No season or special regs on pike. Your atv needs to be registered.

Offline rlgs312

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2014, 02:21 PM »
ATV's used in Maine have to be registered in Maine, should be able to do this online. :) :tipup:
Any day in the woods or on the water is better than ANY day at work.

Offline drfhaha123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2014, 06:12 PM »
Thanks for the info

Offline GOT PIKE

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GO GODS
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2014, 06:21 PM »
I was up there last year with a atv the warden checked all our licenses never said a word about the atv which was parked on the ice, my understanding was it had to be registered period. mine is registered in mass, ive had it in CT RI  also with no issue, 
Work is for people that don't know how to fish.........

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2014, 07:15 PM »
ATV's used in Maine have to be registered in Maine, should be able to do this online. :) :tipup:

rlgs312 is correct.  You have to register your ATV in Maine, even if you have a current registration in another state.

As far as the pike go, there is no closed season.  Go get 'em!

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2014, 09:06 AM »
Very simple do to online. Out of state registration will cost you $69 annually. I believe its June to June.

smitty :tipup:

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 03, 2014, 09:07 PM »
There's only one rule with pike. Kill every one you catch.

Offline drfhaha123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2014, 02:54 PM »
If you put me on a good pond with pike I will.

Offline BassinAssassin

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hell Ain't a bad place to be!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2014, 06:45 PM »
There's only one rule with pike. Kill every one you catch.

That's just a recommendation. Here's what I do!!!

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2014, 02:42 PM »
That's just a recommendation. Here's what I do!!!
(Image removed from quote.)

If you're fishing with me "Kill every pike" is a rule. In some places "Kill every bass" is a rule. If the state had any balls it would be a law. The person who catches and releases an invasive species is almost as low as the person who first stocked it.

Offline BassinAssassin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2014, 06:40 PM »
And someone who thinks they can stop the pike in a lake by senselessly killing every single one, just for the sake of killing it, is about as dumb as they come. Also killing every bass you catch (for no reason) is illegal in just about all bodies of water. Releasing a pike back into the water it came from is not. Do you eat all these pike and bass that you kill? Or do you just waste them?!?!

Offline zorchester21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2014, 07:00 PM »
Finally someone gets it!!! If the pike are in the lake, killing everyone you catch is just wasteful. You are never going to get them out without chemical reclamation. I think the stocking of pike is horrible but killing everyone you see is just a waste. The exact same thing with bass.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2014, 07:26 PM »
Finally someone gets it!!! If the pike are in the lake, killing everyone you catch is just wasteful. You are never going to get them out without chemical reclamation. I think the stocking of pike is horrible but killing everyone you see is just a waste. The exact same thing with bass.

These folks didn't get it.

Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 2014, 09:28 PM »
And someone who thinks they can stop the pike in a lake by senselessly killing every single one, just for the sake of killing it, is about as dumb as they come. Also killing every bass you catch (for no reason) is illegal in just about all bodies of water. Releasing a pike back into the water it came from is not. Do you eat all these pike and bass that you kill? Or do you just waste them?!?!
I know I can't eradicate pike or bass but killing every one you catch will make a dent in the population. Also every dead female means thousands of eggs won't be laid. I don't eat every one I kill but they don't go to waste. Most of them are used as dog food. Some are used as fertilizer.

Offline BassinAssassin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 08, 2014, 07:04 AM »
I know I can't eradicate pike or bass but killing every one you catch will make a dent in the population. Also every dead female means thousands of eggs won't be laid. I don't eat every one I kill but they don't go to waste. Most of them are used as dog food. Some are used as fertilizer.

I still don't agree. What other kind of fish can you catch on a regular basis, that can grow to that size, that quickly in Maine? Nothing. They are especially good for kids to capture their interest in fishing. My son loves catching those hens. Nothing can be done with out the chems.

I just thought of something funny. You know what the worst invasive species ever in history was??... The Pilgrims!!! LOL!!! Good thing they didn't kill all them off.

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2014, 07:58 AM »
The kill 'em all philosophy just results in a lake with a huge population of small pike.  I think Sabattus is a prime example.  Much better to manage the population to protect larger fish.  Then they will eat small ones and leave a much healthier population overall.  There's no way the state could ever poison the entire Belgrade or Andro watersheds, so eradication is not possible.  Far better to accept reality and make the best of the situation!

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 08, 2014, 04:00 PM »
Kill all the bass too. They are an invasive species that the state in all their wisdom stocked over
a hundred years ago because they are so easy to catch.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #19 on: Nov 08, 2014, 04:57 PM »
I'd love to see some of these pike waters managed for a trophy fishery. No need to kill all the pike.

Offline zorchester21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 08, 2014, 05:29 PM »
The state is already thinking about considering pike as a game fish they have even stocked them in some "trout free" lakes up north.

Offline masspike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 08, 2014, 05:33 PM »
The pike will never be gone. I know it sucks I myself enjoy fishing for trout and pike. Might as well make good out of a bad situation. Massive pike are fun to catch and brookies are the best
a bad day of fishing....is better than a good day @ work

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #22 on: Nov 09, 2014, 12:52 PM »
The state is already thinking about considering pike as a game fish THEY have even stocked them in some "trout free" lakes up NORTH.

??? ??? :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :%$#!: :nono: :sick: :sick:

Offline zorchester21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 09, 2014, 01:22 PM »
New Sportfish in Maine
 Northern Pike were initially introduced into Maine during the 1970’s, as a result of an illegal
introduction to the Belgrade Chain of Lakes. Pike became well established and subsequently
colonized other lakes within the Belgrade Lakes drainage. Early spawning, early utilization of fish
forage and subsequent rapid growth, opportunistic foraging habits, and large size potential are
qualities that enabled pike to successfully establish as a dominant predator in the Belgrades,
where habitat is not limiting. The recreational fisheries that initially developed were characterized
by large size quality. Pike averaged over 30 inches long and exceeded 7 pounds. This exciting
new fishery was producing fish of larger average size than that offered by more traditional
existing fisheries and the popularity of this sportfish grew. The perceived success of the Belgrade
Lakes pike fisheries likely contributed to numerous subsequent illegal pike introductions to new
waters within central and southern Maine. Although pike occur in several rivers and streams,
available information suggests that most angling for pike occurs in lakes and ponds. Currently,
northern pike are known to reside in 28 non-flowing Maine waters, and are reported in an
additional 15 waters; those reports have yet to be confirmed. Most of the waters are located in the
Androscoggin and Kennebec River watersheds but the most recent introduction occurred in the
Penobscot watershed.

Because of their size potential and status as a major sportfish elsewhere, northern pike have
become increasingly popular with Maine anglers. Pike are vulnerable to anglers of varying skill
levels during both the open water and ice fishing seasons. However, the winter fishery appears
to be better utilized by Maine anglers.

Quote from http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/species/management_plans/northernpike.pdf

Offline NickM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 09, 2014, 04:29 PM »
My opinion of what to do with pike would depend on where they are. If they are competing with native trout & salmon, then I think we need to manage them hard. It might not make sense to keep every single one, but whatever reduces their competition with native species should be done. I'm thinking about trying for some in 2015. I ate a large (18") pickerel for the first time this year. For all I have heard about them being bony, I thought it was excellent. There were some bones to contend with, but honestly I found it more enjoyable than trout. I can only imagine that pike are similar, since they are closely related.

I hope we can all agree that even if we differ on how to best manage  pike once they are introduced, people should not be dumping them into lakes where they aren't yet established. For better or for worse, there are now plenty of places to fish for Northerns and Muskies in Maine. I have nothing against you if you want to fish for these species. I would like to catch them myself, but new introductions cause a lot of harm to people who want to fish for every other species.

Frankly, we can't wipe them out if we want to, so they are the best outlet for the old fashioned "keep 'em all" philosophy IMO.

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 10, 2014, 10:56 AM »
Not sure how you can have it both ways.  I like the idea of having "Pike Waters" to manage a trophy fishery.  I also love to trout and salmon fish and realize that Pike don't belong in these waters.  Take a look at Sabattus and Annabesacook which I enjoy fishing for big pike, the trouble now is there are way too many, they reproduce too quick and in too big of numbers so the only way to manage those as a trophy fishery for pike is to get rid of some of the numbers in the lakes.  Cant have it both ways.

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 10, 2014, 02:15 PM »
Killing small pike is the way to go to get a trophy fishery.  When the small, super aggressive pike are removed, more food is available for the rest of the population to grow.  Been told this by more than one biologist.  The small size of the pike in Sabbatus is mainly due to the forage base that the pike caused to collapse.  Biologists whom we pay tell the fisherman to kill every pike.  I go over this year after year and no one gets it.  If the pike and BASS weren't here we would have places where kids could go and catch them a few trout.  As bad as pike are, I find bass have been even worse.  Maine is a unique place where some unique species can flourish.  You wanna catch bass, go to Florida and catch 15 pounders.

Offline BassinAssassin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 10, 2014, 04:05 PM »
All this talk about how bad bass are? Any of you ever see the hundreds of bass boats that are all over this state on any given weekend through out the summer and fall? How much money do you think goes into the economy of this state from all the bass tourneys? I'll tell you... A lot more than from the trout fisherman. I live in southern maine, and there are plenty of places I can go and take a kid or two and catch 4 different species of trout. Yes some places are stocked by the state but some are not.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #28 on: Nov 10, 2014, 05:51 PM »
All this talk about how bad bass are? Any of you ever see the hundreds of bass boats that are all over this state on any given weekend through out the summer and fall? How much money do you think goes into the economy of this state from all the bass tourneys? I'll tell you... A lot more than from the trout fisherman. I live in southern maine, and there are plenty of places I can go and take a kid or two and catch 4 different species of trout. Yes some places are stocked by the state but some are not.
exactly. Too many trout n salmon elitists in this state.

Offline . Ron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Nov 10, 2014, 09:11 PM »
How much money do you think goes into the economy of this state from all the bass tourneys? I'll tell you... A lot more than from the trout fisherman.

If we were all living here for the financial benefits then none of us would be living here. 

People live in log homes because it feels good, not because they're the most energy efficient.  People drive trucks because they fit their lifestyle, not because they cost less to run.  We go to the woods and hunt whitetails because we love doing it, despite the fact that it's not the easiest thing in the world to do, and we work in mills and factories so that we can continue to do the above mentioned things.

I'd rather have salmon and trout, a log home, a pick up truck, and hunt than have a state with lots of money and be surrounded by people who are always looking for the easy way out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.