Author Topic: Clam Portable Fish House Window Repair Ideas - Update  (Read 11098 times)

Offline LyleK

• IceShanty Rookie
Looking for some ideas on how to best repair some plastic windows in a Clam portable fish house.  One window is for the most part gone and another has a tear or rip in the plastic.

any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Clam Portable Fish House Window Repair Ideas
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2014, 07:07 PM »
Industrial Velcro.  Get some clear plastic and Velcro it on. Just cut out the old.
<===Lefty===

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2014, 07:16 PM »
I agree with Lefty... Depending on the size of the windows you can probably find some pre-made ones. The replacement velcro in windows for my Bayrunner are only a few bucks a piece. Then you just have to attach velcro to the shelter and won't have to make windows.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline LyleK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2014, 07:19 PM »
Great idea.  Thank you very much !

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2014, 07:33 PM »
Looking for some ideas on how to best repair some plastic windows in a Clam portable fish house.  One window is for the most part gone and another has a tear or rip in the plastic.
any ideas are greatly appreciated.

The best fix is probably to sell if for what you can on Craigslist and buy an Eskimo, Shappell or Frabill .  They all have replaceable windows.  I have had two Clam shelters and the window issue is why I won't get another one until they start putting in replaceable windows like everyone else.  They do this to cut production costs and also force us to buy a new one every two or three years because of built in obsolescence.  If it weren't for the windows they would be a great shelter but it is infuriating to have spent all that money and have wind whistling though your windows after one year and not be able to easily replace them..
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2014, 08:23 PM »
Build removable ones yourself and sew the Velcro onto the shelter.  I was going to do that this year to my command post but the tears in the windows I had, were small enough use tarp tape this time.  The fact that you have to do this at all though...

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2014, 06:32 AM »
This Industrial Velcro has sticky back. It is very sticky.

Sorry but the wife is the one good with cameras not me.
<===Lefty===

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2014, 10:06 AM »
I am not sure where the OP resides but don't use adhesives alone if you live somewhere where it gets really cold.  Fabric adhesives loose flexibility as they are exposed to colder and colder temperatures.  The result is that the glue "freezes" cracks and begins to flake and eventually no longer sticks.  I would imagine that because it's a shelter which will be opened closed, folded, bent, etc. the effect will only be exacerbated.

The adhesive may be good for keeping the Velcro in place whilst you stitch it in but a basting stitch or pins will work equally well.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2014, 12:53 PM »
I am not sure where the OP resides but don't use adhesives alone if you live somewhere where it gets really cold.  Fabric adhesives loose flexibility as they are exposed to colder and colder temperatures.  The result is that the glue "freezes" cracks and begins to flake and eventually no longer sticks.  I would imagine that because it's a shelter which will be opened closed, folded, bent, etc. the effect will only be exacerbated.

The adhesive may be good for keeping the Velcro in place whilst you stitch it in but a basting stitch or pins will work equally well.

I do agree they should sew them in. The Industrial Velcro is so good the taped side isn't good enough anyway.
<===Lefty===

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2014, 02:58 PM »
Maybe take it to a shop that builds boat covers and see if they can do anything?

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2014, 03:08 PM »
Maybe take it to a shop that builds boat covers and see if they can do anything?

If you take it to a boat cover shop or upholsterer, or try to do it yourself on a sewing machine you'll need to take the cover off the sled and frame if it is a flip over.  If it is a hub shelter you'll need to remove the hubs and rods.  This is necessary to be able to manipulate the material onto the foot of the sewing machine.  If it is a flip shelter good luck getting the holes to line up again when you put the bead back on to hold the fabric to the sled. Many hours of labor later plus the money to the shop for sewing and materials you'll be wishing you just ditched it and bought another good used shelter that has replaceable windows.  This is one of those projects that just keeps getting bigger and bigger the farther into it you get. I know this sounds pessimistic but I've been down this road before...
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 02, 2014, 06:29 PM »
If you take it to a boat cover shop or upholsterer, or try to do it yourself on a sewing machine you'll need to take the cover off the sled and frame if it is a flip over.  If it is a hub shelter you'll need to remove the hubs and rods.  This is necessary to be able to manipulate the material onto the foot of the sewing machine.  If it is a flip shelter good luck getting the holes to line up again when you put the bead back on to hold the fabric to the sled. Many hours of labor later plus the money to the shop for sewing and materials you'll be wishing you just ditched it and bought another good used shelter that has replaceable windows.  This is one of those projects that just keeps getting bigger and bigger the farther into it you get. I know this sounds pessimistic but I've been down this road before...

Don't have to remove all hubs if it's a hub shelter.  I only removed one hub assembly when I had to do a patch on a buddies shelter.  Turned the shelter sideways, popped in one other hub, took the sewing machine onto the deck and had at it.  Done in 20 minutes.

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 02, 2014, 07:17 PM »
Don't have to remove all hubs if it's a hub shelter.  I only removed one hub assembly when I had to do a patch on a buddies shelter.  Turned the shelter sideways, popped in one other hub, took the sewing machine onto the deck and had at it.  Done in 20 minutes.

Yes the hub is easier than the flip but you will have to do that process for each window you are replacing.  I would think if you are going to go that route you would replace them all, and do them with Velcro and make them all replaceable while you are all set up to do it? 
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 02, 2014, 08:37 PM »
Yes the hub is easier than the flip but you will have to do that process for each window you are replacing.  I would think if you are going to go that route you would replace them all, and do them with Velcro and make them all replaceable while you are all set up to do it?

Correct for sure if doing all the windows.  I was going to do just that this summer on my command post but the windows were cracked small enough for me to use tarp tape.  If they get to the point where they can't be repaired that way anymore... I may make my own and make them removable or I may burn the damn thing and buy another with removable windows.   

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 02, 2014, 10:00 PM »
not looking to start anything but would like some feed back from those of you that have the removable/replaceable windows. My question is this :

how much draft and breeze do you get where the windows attach. to my thinking Velcro would allow wind to blow in as it doesn't seal totally tight. I think once there is a way to make a removable/replaceable window so that it doesn't leak air you will see them on Clam Houses too. 
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 02, 2014, 10:02 PM »
not looking to start anything but would like some feed back from those of you that have the removable/replaceable windows. My question is this :

how much draft and breeze do you get where the windows attach. to my thinking Velcro would allow wind to blow in as it doesn't seal totally tight. I think once there is a way to make a removable/replaceable window so that it doesn't leak air you will see them on Clam Houses too.

1) ZERO
2) Less than a cracked non-replaceable window

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 02, 2014, 10:37 PM »

None.  In addition to owning Eskimo and Clam I also owned an off brand Kingfisher with removable windows and same results with regards to no leaks around the windows.

Clams reluctance to switch can only have a possible three reasons either in isolation or some combination:
- Clam refuses to because others did it first
- Doing so would erode some profit and/or cause them to raise prices further
- Non-removable windows create planned obsolescence

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 03, 2014, 12:06 AM »

I've fished in a few different brands and I've never seen any of them leak any air at all.   Conversely both my Clam shelters have suffered cracked windows and it is infuriating that for the hundreds of dollars each of these cost that I couldn't replace the windows.  The Eskimo Quickfish 3 and the Shappell 6500 that I've been in had plenty of overlap on the Velcro so you can take the windows on and off at will and they seal up airtight.  If Clam can't figure out how to design a replaceable window that doesn't leak they should hire a better engineer.  Designing a tent with removable windows is not rocket science.  Having spent my working life in manufacturing I believe this is all about cost savings and built in obsolescence to drive the customer to having to replace their shack every 2-3 years.
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Nov 03, 2014, 06:52 AM »
1) ZERO
2) Less than a cracked non-replaceable window

Good Answer.
<===Lefty===

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 03, 2014, 12:00 PM »
No leaks through the velcro here either. Personally I wouldn't want windows that aren't removable, not just for the ease of replacement but more because I like to be able to take one or two out when it starts to get too warm or if I want a better view of whats going on outside.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 03, 2014, 12:33 PM »
No leaks through the velcro here either. Personally I wouldn't want windows that aren't removable, not just for the ease of replacement but more because I like to be able to take one or two out when it starts to get too warm or if I want a better view of whats going on outside.

Windows that open are also nice when someone breaks wind...
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 03, 2014, 02:37 PM »
X2--- :sick: :thumbsup: :clap: ;)2 :whistle: :callcops:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Nov 03, 2014, 07:04 PM »
Windows that open are also nice when someone breaks wind...
My wife agrees with this statement. ???
<===Lefty===

Offline MikeRaetz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 04, 2014, 03:03 PM »
Give clam a call and they will get you taken care of. There customer service is top notch when it comes to getting you the right stuff you will need

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 04, 2014, 04:41 PM »
Give clam a call and they will get you taken care of. There customer service is top notch when it comes to getting you the right stuff you will need

Their customer service is good on everything but the windows.  They are not replaceable so they would have to replace the entire cover.  When I contacted them about my cracked windows  on my Scout I was read this excerpt from their warranty "Warranty does not cover damage to the due to high wind, weather conditions or unattended use."  That apparently means if you use it in below zero weather you should have expected them to crack.  I asked if their ice shelters were only intended to be used on the beach in the summer and she laughed at my sarcasm and apologized but said that the windows cracked because of the weather and there was nothing she could do.  It sounded like they were having a rash of these calls.  I have had very good support from them on other non window related issues on other Clam products.  Their people in the support team are very good but in this case they are limited by a crappy design.  This was over a year ago and maybe its worth a try but don't hold your breath. 
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 04, 2014, 05:27 PM »

Let me know how that goes.  I have a command post which has windows being held together by tarp tape.  The last time I called I was given the same info regarding it's weather related and not product failure but hey I'll try again if you get better results.

Offline LyleK

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Clam Portable Fish House Window Repair Ideas - Update
« Reply #27 on: Nov 17, 2014, 09:08 AM »
Wanted to take the time to thank everyone for their ideas and help with my window repair question. I did get the window situation fixed - ended up calling Eskimo and getting some replacements with Velcro on them.  As mentioned by one poster, I  did have to sew the Velcro on to the house as the adhesive simply wouldn't adhere properly.  I used a sewing awl to attach the Velcro - lot of time and work to get this done but it is done right.

Was impressed with the Eskimo service rep I talked with - he gave me some ideas on sewing, etc - something I did not get when I called Clam. 

so, thanks to all for your help.  If anyone else has this issue, take the advice provided by the posters on this forum.  It is good advice and will serve you well

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Nov 17, 2014, 09:21 AM »
Eskimo Customer Service is tops.
<===Lefty===

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #29 on: Nov 17, 2014, 09:27 AM »
I hardly ever have the window closest to me shut but when I want it shut I want it to be easy to do so. So I think the Velcro windows are the way to go.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.