Author Topic: Clam auger plate with Nils  (Read 6118 times)

Offline ready2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Clam auger plate with Nils
« on: Oct 31, 2014, 04:22 PM »
Used this setup last year with my StrikerMaster Lazer auger and really liked how the clam plate worked so i picked up a Nils to try this year

Now I need ice

Any one ever try this

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: Clam auger plate with Nils
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2014, 04:41 PM »
Just got a clam plate, haven't tried it yet.  Do you have to have the "disc" on to prevent the auger from going down hole? Friend of mine had a drillplate last year and I thought he said the screw that holds auger on is threaded so no need for the disc, as I seen several plates last yr with no disc.  Do you have to have one?  Havent got mine set up yet!

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2014, 05:05 PM »
the nils has plate built in

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2014, 05:07 PM »
I see, got extension for mine so less bending when drilling!

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2014, 01:10 AM »
Used this setup last year with my StrikerMaster Lazer auger and really liked how the clam plate worked so i picked up a Nils to try this year

Now I need ice

Any one ever try this

just curious how did you manage to get that to attach to the adapter of the drill plate. from your pic it looks like the nils shaft is the same diameter as the adapter. this would help those that want to use a nils auger with the plate as there was no adapter made for the nils augers so they could be used with the plate.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline ready2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2014, 03:52 PM »
I made a new adapter, on the end that connects to the auger I milled a 1" deep pocket and added couple of 10-32 set screws that holds everything toeghter

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2014, 07:48 PM »
I made a new adapter, on the end that connects to the auger I milled a 1" deep pocket and added couple of 10-32 set screws that holds everything toeghter

that's cool. I take it you must be a machinist or have a metal lathe that you can use to make it.

Offline ready2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2014, 08:13 AM »
Just to clarify on the 1” deep pocket, this was a hex shaped pocket that accepts the auger, should not have any issues with this coming lose and causing damage

If this works I’m going remove the weld on the underside of the round safety plate, this will allow me to remove the plate and shaft connector end.

I will make my clam adapter so it will slide inside the auger tube, just like how Clam and StrikerMaster augers are, this way I can added an  extension if needed.

Not too sure why Nils did not do something like this, at lease make a replaceable connector in case the old one becomes striped due to drill chuck coming loose

Offline Hunter44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2014, 10:37 AM »
I seen some where that you take drill chuck off and srew the adapter on has anyone see this

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2014, 03:21 PM »
Not sure why you went with the orange nils instead of the blue one. There's about a $10 difference. Anyways I think you'll like the smoothness of the nils. I have a 5" lazer that goes through the ice pretty smooth. I tried a friends 6" nils and you can easily tell the difference.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2014, 02:14 PM »
I seen some where that you take drill chuck off and srew the adapter on has anyone see this

with the Clam plate you have to take the chuck off the drill completely and replace it with the adpater that comes with the plate. there are adapters from other companies out there that just hook in the chuck of the drill. the problem with these is that you have the potential to loose the auger down the hole of if the adapter loosens up. some of these come with strap to prevent the auger from going down the hole. the other problem with the adapts that go just into the chuck of the drill it that all the torque and stress is put directly on the drill . with the plate some of the stress and torque is take up by the large bearing that is on the bottom of the plate.

Offline ready2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2014, 04:56 PM »
Not sure why you went with the orange nils instead of the blue one. There's about a $10 difference. Anyways I think you'll like the smoothness of the nils. I have a 5" lazer that goes through the ice pretty smooth. I tried a friends 6" nils and you can easily tell the difference.

Good question

The main reason I went this route was so i could use this with my Clam plate, also The orange one has a better cutting angle when used with a electric drill

I made the adapter at work for free, guess I look for fun stuff to modify

I just looked at how much i paid  for my 6"at Redrock and see there  at 123.95, that's a good deal!!!

Offline Hunter44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2014, 10:09 AM »
Thanks for reply Monticatgeek

Offline Icepuppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2014, 08:14 PM »

The orange Nills has a different cutting head. They found that with a manual auger you can make a more aggressive cutting edge due to low cutting speed. The cutting head on the orange (drill model) is less aggressive to compensate for the cutting speed. If you use the blue one with a drill it won't cut as well and will cause increased load/torque.

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2014, 10:06 AM »
That's interesting that Nils would alter the auger head for the higher speed of drills. I was wondering when manufactures would start acknowledging the potential market for cordless drill augers. I use my 8'' blue Nils with a Clam plate and Milwaukee fuel drill and love it. One can only imagine the benefits of an auger blade designed for higher speed. I know when use it with my older 6'' Mora it literally zips thru the ice. Looks like it could be a bright future for ice augers.
Oops! is too late.

Offline Icepuppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2014, 04:09 PM »
That's interesting that Nils would alter the auger head for the higher speed of drills. I was wondering when manufactures would start acknowledging the potential market for cordless drill augers. I use my 8'' blue Nils with a Clam plate and Milwaukee fuel drill and love it. One can only imagine the benefits of an auger blade designed for higher speed. I know when use it with my older 6'' Mora it literally zips thru the ice. Looks like it could be a bright future for ice augers.

I imagine the blue one has more of a tendency to dig in. Here's the best explanation I could find. Nils calls the black cutting head from the orange augers a "slick" cutting head.

"The Red Nils blades are the standard blade. The Slick (black)blades are pitched to be a little less aggressive cut for use with the convertible auger. Both can be mounted on any Nils drill whether that be the blue hand/power auger or orange convertible auger."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.