Author Topic: Water on ice  (Read 1340 times)

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
Water on ice
« on: Dec 27, 2005, 08:07 AM »
I posted this question on the NY thread and figured I would ask everyone on The Shanty to get a broader response.  Here it is:

Just wondering if others on here drill holes through the ice on the way out and while fishing for the sole purpose of getting the water off the top to help preventing the ice from honeycombing?  I drilled dozens of holes in the lakes I fished Monday and what a difference it made.  5-6 inches of water on the way out and barely any on the way in.  Hope it helps as water on top is NO GOOD!!!

Tight Lines to all,
Steve
http://www.bluecrayfish.com/icefishpics/albums/userpics/2-18-08_001c.jpg

Sure the Marines are a Department of the Navy, We're the MENS DEPERTMENT!!!!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: Water on ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2005, 09:32 AM »
well steve yesterday i drilled a dozen holes in an area that had a 1/2" to 1" of water on it and by the time i left the whole area  seemed to have less water even with the rain still coming down. maine is ready when you are. the ice is solid in many places and the crappie spots are producing!!

MikeThePike

« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2005, 09:41 AM »
I have been doing the same thing. Walking through water is no fun but still slightly better than walking through snow.

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2005, 09:42 AM »
Scott,

After the first of the year I'll be heading up!!  My Crappie lake is producing good also, many 12" slabs but still have yet to locate the 14"+ like the year before.  I did get out on Friday and had a couple that are nice.  I'll post some pic's when I get my film down loaded.  I'm going to take the power auger out tomorrow and as long as I can still get on the ice I'm making swiss cheese of it.  Have to do a operational check out of the New 224 auger anyways.

T/L
Steve
http://www.bluecrayfish.com/icefishpics/albums/userpics/2-18-08_001c.jpg

Sure the Marines are a Department of the Navy, We're the MENS DEPERTMENT!!!!

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2005, 09:11 PM »
Hey MC. Welcome back from the desert! I had this problem too. I didn't get the water to go down the holes though. Maybe I didn't drill enough holes. I figured water at a certain level, would stay at that level, no matter how many holes drilled. If the water goes down the hole, and the water under the ice is at maximum capacity, where does it go? IceGeek; where are you?

Offline BCJensen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE IS ON FLAGS UP!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2005, 07:49 AM »
I have drilled 6in holes  and when the water got done running in i had a nice 8 incher..

Offline MXFISHER656

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2005, 02:01 PM »
Hey MC. Welcome back from the desert! I had this problem too. I didn't get the water to go down the holes though. Maybe I didn't drill enough holes. I figured water at a certain level, would stay at that level, no matter how many holes drilled. If the water goes down the hole, and the water under the ice is at maximum capacity, where does it go? IceGeek; where are you?

I think you needed to drill more holes. The weight of the water will hold the ice down but the water is going to go down the holes. Liquid always trys to flows down. The ice floats so enough holes will allow the water to flow down in to the lake, lighten the top of the ice letting it float back up . Does that make sense or am I off my rocker?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.