Author Topic: mild weather - good for fishing or not so good...?  (Read 1534 times)

Offline fishmiser

• IceShanty Rookie
mild weather - good for fishing or not so good...?
« on: Dec 24, 2005, 06:37 AM »
???  We are getting mild weather down here in the Okanagan, up to plus ten.  Beyond the obvious issues of melting ice and threat of drowning - how much does warm temp. affect fish biting action? i.e Is it worth risking your life?
Team BC

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
Re: mild weather - good for fishing or not so good...?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2005, 06:46 AM »
???  We are getting mild weather down here in the Okanagan, up to plus ten.  Beyond the obvious issues of melting ice and threat of drowning - how much does warm temp. affect fish biting action? i.e Is it worth risking your life?
im in michigan.  we just barely had safe ice, then it dumps 1/2 a foot on us....now, its raining, temps are rising, and just before things start to freeze again,  it will dump another foot down on us.  i hate mother nature.  fishing is outstanding when you have good ice, and it warms up.  i limited on panfish last year in 45 degree weather. we had 13 inches of solid ice, i caught fish all day with a long sleeved shirt on
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2005, 07:06 AM »

Daytime temps mean little if you continue to have freezing at night which will reset the ice. Friends at work think I'm crazy for going on the ice in spring when it gets plus 14. Might be slushy a bit on top but it re freezes thru night. I tell my friends at work that I need 2 weeks of above freezing temps night and day. Get one day of freezing then ya have to start over because that ice freezes fast with solid ice below, slush on top and below freezing temps.
One of my favorite times to fish is when its warm and water is running in the hole ;)2
Worth risking my life? Well I usually carry my ice picks when it gets soft so if I go thru I'm ok. I don't think of it as a risk to my life. I have gone thru before. Floater suit keeps me up and picks get me back to safety. No risk to life.

Offline PigShanks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2005, 07:18 AM »
I hear you about the ice. Southern Alberta has a major Chinook happening. Last 4 days were well above 0c with the nights hovering around 2 or 3c. On a local board there is even post of some of the smaller potholes breaking open with the 80kph winds. Forcasts much the same into next week.  Definitely a brown Christmas here.

Well Merry Christmas to you guys and your families.

Pigshanks

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2005, 07:30 AM »
Merry Christmas to you too buddy. Hope Santa brings you a paddle. Winter just wouldn't be winter without Calgary having a chinook.

Offline Fishnutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team B.C
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2005, 10:31 PM »
Merry X-mas Guys! Went out today with the temp around 4c and within 5 min of cutting holes (through 9" of clear ice, with 2.5" of slush on top) caught a 5lb. burby. Then nothing for the next few hours.Had to abort due to christmas dinner.

P.S Check your personal mesages, Fishmiser :thumbsup:

R.I.P.  TGF

Offline springer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2005, 11:50 AM »
It froze overnight so all is good in icefishing heaven

Offline MBK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2005, 08:39 PM »
Starting to freeze again :clap: :clap: :clap:
Team BC forever

Offline fishmiser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2005, 07:09 PM »
Went out to a lake about 40 k out of town, it had four inches of melt on top of the ice near shore only a couple near the middle (very small lake).  then went to another lake maybe a km further... ice was great.   
Team BC

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.