Author Topic: Short story of Things that come out of your ice fishing holes  (Read 10760 times)

Offline iceholeman

• IceShanty Rookie
This was a few years back but I remember it really well!
we went ice fishing on a small northern michigan lake one sunday. we had are tipups out and were sitting in our minuteman shanty minding are own business when all of a sudden a muskrat pops out of the shanty hole. he went right back down but let me tell you i tried making a third door in that portable shanty.

Offline buckmanJR86

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Short story of Things that come out of your ice fishing holes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2005, 05:25 PM »
i caught a beer can once...sneeky freind put it on the end and put the flag up >:( lol

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2005, 06:18 PM »
had a painted turtle come out of a hole one very warm very late ice day

Offline PigShanks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2005, 06:23 PM »
Just about to lower a big juicy smelt into the hole when a hungry old pike shot out of the hole like a cannon ball. Lets just say that the cold toes I had very quickly went away.

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2005, 11:21 PM »
I actually caught a fishing rod with a stainless steel abu garcia reel. Pole was no good but reel was fine had it reworked by reel guy works great til this day. Ya just never know what is down there. :tipup:

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline Muskrat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2006, 12:21 PM »
I've heard of muskrats coming up holes, it has happened to us quite a bit lately. Our main fishing shack is raised about 6 inches or so off the ice on runners, and in one spot where we were fishing there was about two inches of water that built up on top of the ice. A little perch came to my hook and I didn't want to lose my bait on it, so I kept pulling my line up but it kept following it higher, so I pulled my line out of the water and the perch shot out onto the water above the ice and swam around for a bit then went back in the hole lol.

Offline Hookjaw

• IceShanty Rookie
  • worst day fishin is better 'n the best day workin
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2006, 11:31 AM »
There is a few ponds in town here, but i was specifically fishing in a pond that is stocked with trout but people catch pike in the red deer river and put them in this pond, so it is full of big pike. Anyways, one day I was out on the pond and i was jigging a five of diamonds a few feet off the bottom and i felt something fairly heavy on it, so i brought it up, and it was a white thing. I brought it out to better identify it and it was a DIAPER :sick: :blink: :unsure: 

Like I said this pond is right in town and the closest housing areas are the slummy/ghetto area of our city, and there is lots of homeless people and weird drug addicts and whatnot down there, but a diaper of all things. Aside from this, when I've fished this pond in the summer, we've caught bags of garbage, hooked a few ducklings because they chase your spoon :-X and I have also caught a fishing rod, a cheap plastic one that was on the bottom so i put it in the garbage. Better in the garbage can then in the pond.
There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse.  Either is a gain over just staying home - Roderick Haig-Brown

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #7 on: Oct 01, 2006, 10:48 PM »
Craziest thing I've ever seen is the time when my buddy caught a mud puppie.  Reeled it up and it was on the floor of the shack twisting around.  Finally got its bearings and it walked over to the next nearest hole and down it went.  If you've never seen a mud puppy, they are pretty weird looking.  Kinda looks like a fish with legs. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2006, 06:15 PM »
Have had several muskrats pop their heads up thru the hole. Scared the Freak'n Crap out of me every time. Something that you're just not expecting to ever happen

Offline jhawkes2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 05, 2006, 07:03 PM »
One day a buddy got a flag...The fish ran for awhile and seemed to be pretty big, then it managed to get down into the weeds, rocks, etc... while doing this it also managed to wrap around a handle of an old axe....it was quite rusty and heavy (~10 lbs), but he managed to get it though the hole... but he lost the fish!  Quite an experience....

Other than that..Items that have been placed on my line and pulled through the hole.

Skimmer
Beer Can (unfortunately it was empty   >:( )

Jim

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2006, 06:09 PM »
Last year I had lost a fish to a break off, really p_ssed me off as it was my favorite jig.  Thought it was gone forever...  went to check a tip up and beleive it or not, my jig, (that was lost earlier in a fishes mouth) was caught on the tip up line. 

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 12, 2006, 07:11 PM »
Ive had the old muskrat come out of the hole and absolutly scare the sh.. out of me! lol wanna talk about getting the adrenaline going! Ive also caught several mudpuppys. In addition I once caught a pike that looked like it had gone under several years of cancer, and radiation. I tossed him in the woods, didnt want his genes or diseases spreading
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline happy perch fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2006, 05:36 PM »
u know it could of been albainuo i can;t speel it but it mean it was pure white. lol

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2006, 05:08 PM »
u know it could of been albainuo i can;t speel it but it mean it was pure white. lol

did u try to say "You know it could have been an albino, I can't spell it but meant it was pure white?"

and what were you reffering to as being albino

there is a spell check button at the bottom before you make a post

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2006, 05:29 PM »
i've done the muskrat and mudpuppy thing. it will warm you up quick. i once pulled up a small gill and had a big bass chase it up the hole.scared me so bad i didn't think to drop it back down and try to catch it.

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2006, 05:34 PM »
love your avatar blue mule ;D

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #16 on: Nov 16, 2006, 05:52 PM »
love your avatar blue mule ;D
thanks pikemaster. my daughter made it for me. i don't do computers well. it didn't turn out like i wanted it to. the 5x7 photo in my tool box at work got lots of laughs.

Offline pray for the fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2006, 05:38 AM »
Two friends were darkhouse spearing. One had his black lab with him. The dog fell in the hole and popped up in the other shack. I think at least one side wall needed to be put back on! And that guy probably could have used that diaper.

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2006, 01:57 PM »
 Weirdest thing ive seen was a fish, a smelt actually. The wierd part was how he was caught. My buddy was setting a line for white fish in our portable shack. As he was letting down coils of line, the line tightened up and he brought up a smelt that was caught about 3 feet above the hook, he was all tied and tangled up...must have ran into a coil of line. ;D
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline Reel_Magic

• IceShanty Rookie
  • First one out Last one back!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2006, 05:21 PM »
Lots of years fishing on Erie I've see son odd stuff come out of holes, My day job is Maintenance Supervisor at a Nuclear Plant so  we have Emergency Plan drills often. I was fish late one day with a co-worker from the the plant, I feel something so I set the hook "very heavy" I cranked up about three turns, looked over a Eric and said no need for help this is just a drill, He looked a me oddly "what the heck are you thinking drill" He then looked down in amazement to see a cordless drill come through the hole. His drill, lost weeks earlier as he was fixing the hinges on the shack door.

I also saw several big eyes all the Way in the hole after a bait bucket was dumped in a hole, They filled the entire foot square hole( we had just moved a shack off the spot

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 23, 2006, 05:04 AM »
had a few muskrats pop up, but the weirdest thing was these really weird water bugs that we use to have come into our holes. only saw 'em on one lake and they were big, the body was probably about 1 1/2" almost circular and the legs were about 3" long, if i remember right there were 6 legs? any of you guys ever see a bug like that?  just in case you're wondering it was a clean northern mn lake, mostly mud/sand bottom, not one of these nasty metro lakes

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2006, 05:37 AM »
had a few muskrats pop up, but the weirdest thing was these really weird water bugs that we use to have come into our holes. only saw 'em on one lake and they were big, the body was probably about 1 1/2" almost circular and the legs were about 3" long, if i remember right there were 6 legs? any of you guys ever see a bug like that?  just in case you're wondering it was a clean northern mn lake, mostly mud/sand bottom, not one of these nasty metro lakes
I've caught those in my bait traps here in Maine. They like to eat the heads off shiners. Weird creatures. Insects that kill fish. :o
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 23, 2006, 05:58 AM »
I've caught those in my bait traps here in Maine. They like to eat the heads off shiners. Weird creatures. Insects that kill fish. :o

Did it look like this Rich ?

Offline jhawkes2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 23, 2006, 06:57 AM »
Did it look like this Rich ?

(Image removed from quote.)

Ahhh, yes... The Predacious Diving Beetle... learned about them in grad school and see them at work from time to time....pretty awesome dudes... but pack a punch if you get bit...

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 23, 2006, 07:01 AM »
Ahhh, yes... The Predacious Diving Beetle... learned about them in grad school and see them at work from time to time....pretty awesome dudes... but pack a punch if you get bit...

Used to call them toe bitters when I was a kid  :)

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 23, 2006, 07:11 AM »
yeah, that's what i was seeing.  nasty little buggers.  didn't know they bite, i do alot of wading in the lake in the summer, no way to get a boat in and there's great bass fishing.  anybody know if those things are native to MN? it's a tiny lake that doesn't get alot of presure, couldn't imagine how they got in there

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 23, 2006, 07:13 AM »
yeah, that's what i was seeing.  nasty little buggers.  didn't know they bite, i do alot of wading in the lake in the summer, no way to get a boat in and there's great bass fishing.  anybody know if those things are native to MN? it's a tiny lake that doesn't get alot of presure, couldn't imagine how they got in there

I think they are everywhere in the US fish...very common

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 23, 2006, 09:57 AM »
I think they are everywhere in the US fish...very common

they are, arnt they really called, "giant waterbeetles" ive seen them a lot and been warned by the old folks they bite hard. Im not gonna try and test that one either

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #28 on: Dec 23, 2006, 10:06 AM »
they definetly bite hard!!! :'(

Offline happy perch fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2007, 08:38 PM »
I've had water come out  ;D LOL!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum