Author Topic: Sinking Power Bait ??  (Read 6984 times)

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
Sinking Power Bait ??
« on: Dec 22, 2005, 07:30 PM »
Do they make a sinking Power Bait Nugget or the other kind you mold yourself. I have looked at several stores and only found floating...Any help, Thanks

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
Re: Sinking Power Bait ??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2005, 03:12 AM »
You could use a SMALL split shot 4-8in up your leader,a couple of wraps of fine lead/free soder on your hook,or VELVETTA CHEESE(soaked in garlic oil).I personally haven't had too much luck with power bait under tipups,but with a jig stick can productive at times.
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2005, 06:13 AM »
when they first came out with powerbait it sank, but all the newer stuff floats. I liked the sinking stuff, because I didn't need a sinker to get it down.
Ken                                          

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2005, 02:20 PM »
i have not had any success with powerbait under the ice... in the spring on a size 6 gamagatsu with a lil weight and it was very productive.

I wonder if the water temp. effects the way the scent is dispersed?

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2005, 02:07 PM »
I find powerbait not to be very effective in comparison to nightcrawlers and waxworms. But in some places they can show a preference for it. But trout are so flagrantly aggressive I wouldn't be shocked if they hit a pair of underwear on a giant hook. I have seen people catch them on cigarette butts even. Perhaps the most aggressive fish in freshwater, particularly under the ice.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Trout Sen-Sei

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout fanatic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2005, 04:36 PM »
Tip that powerbait off with a few maggots or waxies--it works the same as mini marshmallows to float you bait up off the bottom. If its weedy, lengthen you leader to float over the weeds.

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2005, 06:30 PM »
I found some sinking powerbait and went out today and lost a rainbow at the hole so it does work. I also had some small shiners but only got some crappie and a few small bass.

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2005, 10:21 PM »
Powerbait was made to float so you can set up a split shot or egg wieght 18-30 in above the bait and keep it off the bottom and in the fish- as it floats it stays in the strike zone alot more - sinking would only be good for boat jigging and icefishing. But still now you have to find the bottom and 2feet or more off the bottom- try jigging the bait on a tiny jig  - ive had good sucess this year with it (5 hits and drops by the hole but still I saw trout and there less then 6in here so its understandable) Im sure it applys on a larger setup.

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2006, 08:35 PM »
I use the floating paste-type powerbait rigged on tipups for stocked trout on some of the small lakes in my area. It works quite well and I use the neon colored stuff and never really noticed a color preference as I think it's the smell they're initially attracted to. I use a 6lb florocarbon leader about 4-5ft. long with a #8 octopus hook. Roll the bait into a small ball about the size of a dime or a little smaller and push the hook into it. I have also tried #12 trebles but they're much harder to unhook especially if the fish take them in deep. I sometimes switch to a #8 thin wire aberdeen style hook if I'm having trouble with unhooking fish or if I plan to release most of my catch. As for keeping it down, I use a small BB shot or two just an inch or so up the leader from the hook. You could always try some of the thin flat lead strips or lead wire like fly-tiers use wrapped onto the hook shank to help keep the powerbait from floating up and tangling into the leader.....WK.. :tipup:
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.