Author Topic: auger attachment  (Read 1061 times)

Offline RAINBOW HUNTER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
auger attachment
« on: Dec 20, 2005, 05:09 PM »
Has anyone ever tried the attachment to make your hand auger into a a powerd one by using a cordless drill?dose it work im thinking about getting it.Maybe hitting the ice sometime over the winter break let you guys know how i did

Offline Pomoxis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lawyers make the best chum.
Re: auger attachment
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2005, 05:39 PM »
I don't think that is a great idea. I am 47 years old and I have arms like toothpicks. Yet, I manage to get through thick ice with a primitive manual auger, without cursing,  enough to catch fish.
As a mechanical engineer and custom tool designer/builder I would say that it would not be a practical idea. Nevertheless, if you have one already, and you have a good cordless drill, and you have a good set or two of batteries for it, and you want to deal with all that stuff, and you have the ability to revert to manual drilling if necessary, then you should give it a pioneering try, and let us know how it worked! I've been proven wrong before, I think. I can think of a couple more technical reasons why to avoid it. If you want a more intense technical discussion, let me know. Stick with a 6" or smaller auger if you do it.
I have gone to some trouble to keep my ice fishing tactics and equipment very simple. There is nothing more aggravating than complex stuff when you don't need it, especially when ice fishing. I don't want to even be bothered tying a knot out there if I don't have to. Imagine dealing with a drill chuck and key, and batteries that don't like cold, and some weird gearbox etc.
The more I fish, the more I  to fish, but the only  I need is BEER.

MikeThePike

« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2005, 05:41 PM »
I can't possibly see how it could last more than a few holes with anything bigger than a 4" auger bit.

Offline AJ Flag

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • TEAM MERCER!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2005, 09:49 PM »
I agree with Mike, and if you have a decent amount of ice will it be able to get through it with enough power for more then the couple of holes if that.

"That's how you do it...That is how you ice fish!" MM

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.